Charity Mass Build - Chat Thread

So who's planning on going to the fly in at Greenacres with a Webbit? and when we all get there, would'nt it be an idea to have badges with our forum names on so that we can put some faces to the names? unless of course your forum name is something really embarassing outside the context of this forum.
good luck with the build John

I have the intention of videoing the whole build then compressing it in to a small video,or set the camera to take a pic every few mins,if I get around to it it will be great!!

That would be great Dan - time lapsed building! I saw a guy do one of those on ebay it was quite compulsive to watch!

Yep I intend to be at Greenacres - wouldn't miss it. I went last year and had a smashing time. Without wishing to embarrass Chris and other Greenacres members - the organisation is absolutely first class there. I don't know quite how they do this but you come away with the feeling that it was very slickly managed, very closely supervised, but at no time are you actually aware of anyone managing or supervising anything! I'm not being funny - its true. The whole atmosphere is really relaxed and friendly, nobody seems to telling anybody what to do - but it all runs like a Swiss watch. Amazing, I don't know how they do it.

They have these "starter boxs" for us ic lads, so you can put you gear in there and that way anyone starting is not in the way of anyone flying. The flight line has about 2-3 marshalls on it at all times and they not only help with look out and clearing take offs and landings etc. they'll even help you carry your model to the line if you need it!

Although it was busy - I never waited for a flight. There always seemed to be space on the flight line. The site is excellent. Big, wide open and a large  landing strip you could play snooker on is so smooth! Even the BBQ is brilliant! To top it all the weather was excellent last year - really warm.  If there is a heaven for RC flyers it must look a lot like this!

BEB

I might try the time lapse idea too, I have a web cam package that will do that automatically, used it to capture a months garden landscaping worked really well.  Just need to set it up in the corner of the bench. Nice idea Dan

I will be at Greenacres, I am sure they are really thrilled with your comments BEB, they do run a good event.

Cheers
Danny

Aw now we are embarrassed BEB. To be honest the format has honed it's self over the years. Many of the rules are H&S ones imposed by the local council. 

It must be the visitors that make it run smoothly. Sensible chaps, there to enjoy themselves, see the sense in the few rules there are and it does just seem to work. Long may it continue

Been skimming through all the mass build stuff and it seems for this "fly in" everyone needs an A cert can someone confirm this as I don`t have one

Hi Dan,

yes it is one of the very few "rules" for the fly-in. Its a safety thing. Anyone can fly - but you must have at least an A cert.

Don't be downhearted - you have 5 months to sort it out, and the A cert test is well within the capabilities of any competant RC pilot. I'm sure you'd have no problem with it.

BEB

Posted by Danny Fenton on 15/01/2011 11:09:27:
Just thinking on...... How about a live webcam, anybody interested? I am going to try and build mine in a day, It will be a weekday as i will have to take the day off to make the time.
Cheers
Danny

Funny you should say that Danny - I was thinking of trying to build mine in a day! Mine you I was the other side of a bottle of red at the time it seemed a good idea!

BEB

Now for a little announcement!

Ah-hem - After some discussion we have decided to slight rename the event - as you may have noticed by the changed thread titles!

In recognition of the charity aspect of the event - (Steve Webb Models will be donating £5 to Athritis Research for every Webbit bought) - we have decided to rename the event "The Charity Mass Build" - a small but significant change we think!

BEB

Someone mentioned electric setups. I've had a very quick look around and there is a huge selection that will do the job from many suppliers.

Here are just a few examples. Smaller lighter ones than these with less power might suit a lightweight Webbit. Heavier more powerful ones may be required by a hooligan....
These assume an all up weight similar to the Nigel Hawes one of 1.5lb.

Posted by Chris Bott on 15/01/2011 11:43:43:
Someone mentioned electric setups. I've had a very quick look around and there is a huge selection that will do the job from many suppliers.

Here are just a few examples. Smaller lighter ones than these with less power might suit a lightweight Webbit. Heavier more powerful ones may be required by a hooligan....
These assume an all up weight similar to the Nigel Hawes one of 1.5lb.

Was the 1.5 lb with motor etc?

Hi,

the conversation was getting a bit fragmented between too many threads so I've done a bit of "tidying up" in the back office.

I've locked off some of the other threads - everything should now be focussed on either this chat thread or the signing up thread!

BEB

PS I have put a post at the bottom of the closed threads with links to this chat thread and the signing up thread. So no one should get lost!

Posted by Steve W-O on 15/01/2011 11:56:57:

Was the 1.5 lb with motor etc?  

I believe so Steve. Motor battery everything. Although I think that was with a nice light receiver and servos.

The articles containing the webbit build are  part 1 and part 2
They take a while to download.