Charity Mass Build - Chat Thread

Posted by r6dan on 16/01/2011 11:39:44:
I only have an IC  40 too,or I have a 300 w motor in a hotliner I could use,both a bit too much,either of those will make for a pretty mental plane

Looking at the general spec, someone suggested 250 watts (supposedly IC equivalent to .15 IC. I recon it would need 300 watts to perform for the hooligan element amongst us. Or maybe 350 watts for good vertical performance. As a base line an A2814 8T (a nat's short of 20 squid from BRC),(300 watts would be my choice 1000 Kv on a 3s 2200 or 2500 lipo. Low on wonga, high on fun. lets see how the numbers stack up. Could even go for a lower winding and smaller prop, see what I have in the shed. My models on order.

Chris.

Posted by r6dan on 16/01/2011 13:17:38:
The original Webbit used a .15  Enya hanging way up front in the breeze, I don`t suppose anyone knows how much they weigh? I have decided on a lekky set up and would like to know the ic weight so I can work out the biggest motor I can bolt on the front without it getting too heavy
 Looking at http://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php?pid=LSS15&area=Engines I see a figure of 185 gm (but is this with or without the silencer?).  Mine is currently bolted into my Webbit, do is difficult to weigh.

If I can find the bumff sheet that came with it I will tell you more.

Plummet

Edited By Plummet on 16/01/2011 15:03:15

Edited By Plummet on 16/01/2011 15:04:07

Edited By Plummet on 16/01/2011 15:05:05

I don't think it's best to just emulate the IC weight and power.
So I'll be aiming for a lighter setup. I'll probably have to lighten the tail as much as possible. I'll go for a light build, a light electric setup and small servos.
You'll probably catch up with me on your second lap while I'm still climbing out, but I may still be in the air when you're eating your burgers. 
There's every chance a light model with less power will outperform a heavy one in most areas. We'll see. 
I think we'll end up with as many different setups as we have Webbits, and they will all work. 

Keep all up weight down and a very cheap 100W setup will easily give "trainer" performance. 

Surely though....   Making the model very light will also reduce the windspeed in which it can be safely flown!!!   (always windy up here!!!!)

I plan to build mine to spec (with maybe some lightening holes in rear fuz sides to even lightness of moter!) but appart from that......  As per!!!!!

Dave

Part One

Hi RCME readers!

I’m sorry I’m rather late arriving at the mass build threads. I must admit when I heard about the WebBIT being a candidate for a mass build I was pleased it was in the running. I had know idea it would get picked.

I have to say I feel very pleased and happy that the model has been chosen. My thanks to all involved.

I was uncertain about making WebBIT available last year and unsure if we’d get any sales, but as usual the humble little WebBIT had a few surprises in store for me. I’m really pleased the model still has a place in our hearts so many years on!

Charity

As most of you are aware £5.00 from every WebBIT sold will be going to Arthritis Research. I’m already a little involved in charity work for Arthritic Related good causes and I thought the national charity Arthritis Research would be a fitting charity for a national mass build ‘event’.

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/

I’m sure that it’s already been mentioned that SWM do not mind packing orders together to one delivery address to help participants save carriage costs. The kits are sent for a singular carriage charge and it costs as much to send one as it does two or six or maybe even ten. So if you have a club joining ‘in’ why not all order together?
Phew…where do I start?

The Charity - Why This One?

I’m sure many of you will already know that I have suffered with Rheumatoid Arthritis in one form or another for much of my life. I was extremely poorly as a child (from the age of 18 months with a huge flare up at 10 years old) with Chronic Stills (Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis) and I was deemed ‘cured’ when I was about 25. I think I’d be correct in saying, anyone  who knew me from the age 25 to 38 years would have ever suspected - continued next post...

Edited By Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 16/01/2011 17:29:58

Part 2  as the post was too long! Sorry!

Continued..........suspected I’d once been badly handicapped and in a wheelchair for some years. At one point I was in hospital for a very long time at Taplow, Maidenhead and later a Physically Handicapped school in Crewe Cheshire. I worked very hard at getting better and that only made the flare up at 38 all the more ‘earth shatteringly’ bad news (please remember I thought I was cured). Perhaps those that know me in the ‘trade’ will see why I was so driven to make SWM a success. To me it was always more that just a business, it was proof I managed to be more than useful to society given my poor education during my ‘ill’ years and my struggle to normality.

Little did I know I wasn’t cured and Rheumatoid Arthritis takes no prisoners and I suffered a rather bad flare up at the age of 38, this put some strain on the staffing at SWM and was kept quiet for a long time so not to affect business?

Many years on it seems SWM does better with me not behind the counter, I’ve been fortunate to have some very good staff and of course my sister Ann in charge. My fight against RA continues and I’m optimistic that 2011 will see a turning point for me. I’ve already had some encouraging news in 2011.

The RA condition has developed a few conditions that have made life a little more difficult (Osteoporosis and Adersons Disease – adrenal insuffienciy being the ones I hate the most!)-
Anyway – Having this WebBIT chosen as a mass build and the directors at SWM allowing the £5 donation to Arthritis Research is such great news. 

I’m sure all having read the above all will now see why the AR charity is close to my heart.

My thanks to all here and at SWM (I understand Speedy the SWM packer has already been making a few kits up for resale).

Currently we have stock at SWM and I have warned Leon  at Belair we may need parts cut more if this mass build takes off (no pun intended).

I hope I’ve posted this in the correct place. Sorry it is so long. I just wanted to explain why I was so pleased the RCME readers had picked the humble WebBIT.

It’s Sunday, so I best pay some attention my to my wife and son.

Thank you to all in advance regard the WebBIT mass build. I hope we manage to raise more money for AR!

Onward and upward* with the build

Cheers

Steve

Steve Webb

*upward, in loops, knife edge up and down and up and sidewards and so on

Edited By Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models

Edited By Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 16/01/2011 17:34:53

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 17/01/2011 08:30:57

Steve.

As the "mastermind" behind the whole Mass Build idea....
WELCOME.

It is great to have you aboard and I hope that this is going to really boost awareness about RA, provide them with some much needed fund raising and just as importantly...    Give all the builders a fun challenge with a great model to fly at the end!!

I have to confess to having not flown a Webbit myself but am really looking forward to the build.

As things stand currently we have had 16 people sign up to build with a builder in South Africa included!!!  Maybe that will become a "Wild Webbit!"

Anyway...    Thanks for posting with a background about the reason for the Charity. I am sure it will open many peoples eyes and We hope to see you at the RCME FunFly at Greenacres for the Mass Webbit Fly!!!

Dave Gilder

Edited By David Gilder on 16/01/2011 17:46:13

Great to see you on this thread Steve. I hope we can do the Webbit justice. It will feel good to do something for charity at the same time.

I also hope this will encourage more into building. This could just be the start some ARTF'ers need to see the other side of our hobby.

I'm beginning to get the feeling that a number of builders won't have the patience to wait until the mass build dates as previously decided. But that's not all bad, it may give others handy pointers that will help. 

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the warm welcome and thanks for suggesting the WebBIT.

I was taken by suprise! by the WebBIt being chosen.

I'm sorry I didnt get here sooner. I'm excited about the WebBIT being chosen and also excited about the charity aspect. I already try to do a little work for Arthritis related charities, but this is the first time we raised awareness and money by having an amount donated from a producst sale. Its very exciting.

A wild WebBIT ...Lol..

I hope to get to the fly in. It depends on health matters at the time. One of the reasons I hadnt posted was I couldnt make up my mind to post the pesonal stuff or not regard the charity. In the end I went with the real reasons I try to raise money for AR charities. Its quite a personal choice for me. Hopefully more folk will become aware of the problems these conditions can cause.

Also - Maybe we'll introduce some modellers to a real bit of building. I'm sure that if modellers make a WebBIT and fly it, they will want to build more models. Maybe from the RCME plans service or similar. Laser cutting and CNC work make modern kits very enjoyable to build. I'm sure you already know all that, but I'm typing for those that dont!

Thanks once again

Steve

Posted by David Gilder on 16/01/2011 16:37:41:
I believe this is it!!!!!

But I have no idea what has happened to your destruction manual!!

Dave

Edited By David Gilder on 16/01/2011 16:44:33

Silly person...  Doesn't everyone hide their illicit reading material behind something more respectable.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the mails and the message. I'm sure the readers will do a great job. Currently SWM has WebBIT stock and so there's no problem with supply (currently). I've dropped a line to Leon at Belair who laser cuts the parts and reproduces the plan for this short kit. He's on stand bye if we need more!

Lets hope we do turn a few people on to a RC build and an enjoyable fun model to fly. Many folk are converting webBITS to E.P power - Nigel Hawes did write up in the July and August 2010 RCME mags how to do this. The model only contains IC related  parts, but it doesnt take much effort to convert to E.P. With the WebBIT being a short kt ( all the major parts are there but no hardwear,strip or stock) the model may introduce modellers into the art of finding out where to buy a little balsa and use there own prefered fittings. Its all a learning curve.

If anyone is stuck for parts or does not know what parts, there's a sheet of what else is required regard strip and sheet in the kit.

I'd be quite interested in anyone's  sizes shapes and versions of changing the WebBIT to E.P. If any parts are used extra, if drawn around, maybe I could get Leon to make a small E.P wood pack or something for future production. I don't think Nige used any extra parts though. I m thinking out loud as I type!

It could get a few people dusting off their modelling tools and afew more investing in some. I do hope it helps encourage folk to have a go at balsa bashing.

Thanks once again

Steve

Plummet! The papers far to shiney.

In an earlier batch of kits ( only a few were affected) Speedy failed to included the plan ( or the big floppy papery thing as we now describe it to him). Kits were sorted... any problems contact us.

The new instructions have some of the bloomers corrected that Plummet discovered and was kind enough to let us know earlier last year. Hopefully we now have slightly better instruction manual. We also have a new Laser Printer and so hopefully the photos are of a little more use. The kit is very retro regard the instrcutions!

Photos are here for anyone wishing to see how it looks in the build.

Hope that helps

Steve

Steve it would be great to see you at the funfly if you can make it. Please let us know if there's anything we can do or have in place to make it easier for you. (shelter, somewhere to sit, a close parking space.... I don't know??).

Just keep your fingers crossed for the weather we had last year. 
 Cheers
  Chris  

Posted by Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 16/01/2011 18:32:15:
Plummet! The papers far to shiney.

In an earlier batch of kits ( only a few were affected) Speedy failed to included the plan ( or the big floppy papery thing as we now describe it to him). Kits were sorted... any problems contact us.

The new instructions have some of the bloomers corrected that Plummet discovered and was kind enough to let us know earlier last year. Hopefully we now have slightly better instruction manual. We also have a new Laser Printer and so hopefully the photos are of a little more use. The kit is very retro regard the instrcutions!

Photos are here for anyone wishing to see how it looks in the build.

Hope that helps

Steve

Welcome

Build looks straightforward.

Just puzzled about the function of the irregular shaped container at the back of the photo labelled 2?

Posted by Steve W-O on 16/01/2011 18:45:15:

Just puzzled about the function of the irregular shaped container at the back of the photo labelled 2?

That looks like a build timer Steve. When that is empty, you have to pause building and go find something to fill it up. Gives you the correct length building sessions.

Posted by Chris Bott on 16/01/2011 18:50:11:
Posted by Steve W-O on 16/01/2011 18:45:15:

That looks like a build timer Steve. When that is empty, you have to pause building and go find something to fill it up. Gives you the correct length building sessions.

Now that is a good one to tell the management, I won't forget it !

Hi Steve,

and welcome to the forum - I'm the guy that emailed you to start all this off and along with David - the originator of the idea - and others have been busy on the organisation side. Should be a fun event.

Thank you for taking the trouble - and having the courage - to disclose your personal story and your struggle with Arthritis. Let's hope that all together we can do at least a little bit to help!

As a "local" I'll probably call in to see the lads in the shop to pick up my WebBIT in a couple of weeks or so - hope you still have some by then!

BEB

YES , I'm putting what I thought was an SC25 in mine however it turned out to be a 15 in a 25 box, a little dissapointed but I'm sure it will be an easier build for it,

By the way a big hello to Steve Webb , and happy new year , we havent met for a while but myself and other half Sarah Bunn are regular visitors to the shop, We'd like to thank you for keeping the Webbit going it turned out to be a good move in the end , even more so for us as Sarah is a diagnosed sufferer of RA also.
all the best to all at SWM ( especially Fred)