Charity Mass Build - Chat Thread

Sorry I've not made it back sooner. The Fly In has started! I'll be down tomorrow with my camera, Jen,freddy and Adrian from SWM. According to my Weather Fairy the day should be hot, calm and sunny tomorrow. Hope so.
Prizes & Club Raffle Prizes.

SWM gave Dave Gilder some prizes WebBIT specific and so there's some goodies for those with WebBITs ( I think that's how it works) and on Friday Linsair collected a 'feast' of goodies for the Greenacres club for raffle prizes etc,to help the club regards funds as fly ins and such tend to drain clubs resources.

Copy of an email from Ann at SWM -

Hi Chris,

................................. Steve has been liaising with Lindsay Todd to collect the prizes on Friday afternoon.

There's a nice new ARTF Wingsman E.P kit and some wheel chocks, Tshirts, caps,Bolly Props,starter stands and Steve Webb Stickers. Hope this is O.k ..............................................................................

Ann

Cc Linds Cc Steve

A nice all new ARTF kit, plus loads of other goodies, so don't forget to buy raffle tickets and help the Club funds!

I think the prizes DG was given are similar. I'm sure the organisers will get a grip on the goodies and arrange appropriate 'givings' and raffles.

So if you havent decided to go yet ,hope the above helps you to make a day of it tomorrow and get with the WebBIteers.

I wonder how many with turn up?

See you all Sunday

Steve

Edited By Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 25/06/2011 15:30:20

Well we had 12 Webbits I think I counted on Saturday, a good turnout but surely we can beat that on the Sunday? The weather forecast is just superb.

PS
I maidened Geoff's Webbit too this evening and it really isn't wonky. No trim changes were required whatsoever.

Nice one regard Geofs WebBIT, I was at Greenacres on the Sunday and I think there were 16 or 18 WebBITS - not sure how many doubled up with Saturday.

A truly fantastic day. My thanks to the Greenacres Club ( especially the flight line marshals - they were busy all day as the flying was Non Stop). Thanks to RCME and everyone involved in the Mass Build and helping raise money for Arthritis Research. The £5 per WebBIT is running to the end of June, with WebBIT related donations and kit sales I'm expecting the total to end up over £600.

The original idea of the Mass Build must have inspired a few to build their own models, I think its been a great success. A BIG BIG thanks to all involved. Will pop along to Davids link to leave a post. A truly special day.

Steve

• 1 month later...
Well I was of one of the first to start building the webbit, and have still not finished it!!! I need to get my plane enthusiastic hat back on!!

• 1 month later...
well i built the E2k here

http://www.gary132.co.uk/index.php?topic=532.0

then i built the C2k. both models build exactly the same and took me all of two days to build.
sadly when i finished the C2k i lost it on it's 1st flight due to radio problems ( also lost two other models that day ) now i have a new radio and cloud models and just sent me another C2k which i will be building online and will be doing a video of it's 1st flight.

www.gary132.co.uk

watch out for the build and flying video report.
Gary132.

• 1 year later...

Martyn Kinder’s Webbit Maiden Flight – At Last!

Two flights actually. In the first, when it seems disaster could be the only result, Martyn saved the model and gained control to the point where he made a very gentle landing. The second flight, after a few adjustments, shows how well a webbit can fly.

All very brief and unfortunately the only camera I had at the time was on a mobile phone so quality is great.

Thanks Ian

Amazingly, the CoG needed to go forward by about 8mm - my fault, my rough approximation was a bit too rough. It was actually about 2degrees of downthrust that killed the power pitching as well, an entertaining first flight, I'll pay more attention to the detail in future... Andy Pace will be as sick as a parrot that he missed it.

I'll post a couple of photos on the Webbit photoshoot page for posterity, I didn't do a build blog because this project is so 2011.

For the record though - electric power with a biggish motor of unknown origin (probably from Honk Kong) that came with a 60A ESC. Prop is a 8x6 e-thingy. AUP 760g ready to fly.

Ian didn't mention that the second flight was terminated abruptly when I really opened it up and the prop shaft sheared off at the front bearing - when it was going up vertically. A bit of a let down really as I was really starting to let it rip.

Still - a nice safe glide back down to the strip. Quite manageable providing you keep the flying speed up.

Need to get the shaft repaired/motor replaced and hopefully back in the sky next weekend.

Martyn

Posted by Martyn K on 21/10/2012 20:10:42:

<snip>It was actually about 2degrees of downthrust that killed the power pitching as well, an entertaining first flight, I'll pay more attention to the detail in future.<snip>

Martyn

Upthrust!! Who..., what...! me....? Duh!

I can't think why I said that! embarrassed

• 1 month later...

Well..

Moving the CoG marginally and adding the downthrust made absolutely no difference the next time out, it was all over the sky again and sometimes it was doing what I wanted it to do or even if I was lucky, even pointing in the right direction.

I have now added a new larger tailplane and fin and this has transformed it. Much more manageable but still incredibly aerobatic. A lovely flyer and now very predictable . A very wothwhile mod.

Documented here:

Martyn