PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

Nice one Scott - good to see you checking out the local nightlife pre-event!

I hope you've got the big Canberra and Hunter with you - I look forward to seeing both in action through the camera - it looks like we are in for a good day tomorrow!!

See you up top before 10, Phil

I'm just back in and unpacked following our 2 days in Llandudno up on the Great Orme, the 4th PSSA weekend of the 2017 season...a huge thanks to all who travelled and took part!

Today we've relaxed in calm, sunny conditions with no more than 10mph winds on the SW face - so lightweight PSS, sports and electric assist was the order of the day - which in a way came as a well needed rest bite following yesterdays action! 40mph+ winds throughout the Saturday which allowed all of the models suited to that sort of wind speed to excel - with flying on the SW face from 08:30 right up until 7pm when we retired for the evening meal in town!

A huge amount of impressive models on show, many congratulations to the winners of the 3 'pilot voted' categories...

Steve Kemp won the 'Best Flown Prop' category with his ballistic little Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX...

editspitforum.jpg

Simon Cocker was awarded the 'Best Flown Jet' prize with his large BAC Canberra...

editcanbforum.jpg

And Scott Edwards was the worthy winner of the 'Model of the Event' award and the coveted 'Ron Collins Memorial Trophy' for his O/D Hawker Hunter - which was flown for the first time at the event. Superb stuff Scott!

edithunter1forum.jpg

edithunter2forum.jpg

Many more photos to edit and a full report will be added to the PSSA website in due course. A big thanks once again to Tim Mackey who put on a superb BBQ in the car park over the Saturday lunch period - a great addition to any full days flying - much appreciated by us all!!

Our next event is planned 7th/8th October, again on the Great Orme - I look forward to seeing you there!

Edited By Phil Cooke on 20/08/2017 23:25:37

Wow ! What a fantastic in flight shot ! That's getting printed and framed ! Enormous thanks to Phil and Tim for organising such a great weekend. I was utterly chuffed to bits to get a the Ron Collins Trophy for the Hunter, to win something that has previous winners names on like Matt Jones and John Hey on is just bloody brilliant, so kind of you all. I grinned all the way home, and even rang me 'mam up to tell her

Edited By Scott Edwards 2 on 21/08/2017 12:18:11

Edited By Scott Edwards 2 on 21/08/2017 12:18:36

Just wanted to add my thanks to the organisers for another great event.

I could only make it on Saturday afternoon, but conditions were perfect for my little Hawk. I drove up from Wimbourne and back in a day, but it was well worth it.

I enjoy the relaxed nature of the events, the chats with the friendly pss'ers, the wide variety of models, the great flying conditions and the chance to be inspired by some truly impressive aircraft.

I think I can see a big PSS model build in the future (who said Vickers Valiant?) but for now I have a MicroMold Spitfire 24 to get ready for glassing and hopefully painted in time for Octobers meeting!

I certainly echo all the above comments, but at the time had food poisoning which made it less comfortable than it should have done. Only just gone away. So in response to the haranguing i got for not stuffing my face with waffle, I was in the middle of the screaming s***s, Thank you very much for the happy birthday wishes and for Phil and his Mum for the lovely chocolate cake. Hurray!!

Hear, hear, big up to Phil once again for organising yet another two day spectacular! Thoroughly enjoyed the two very different day's flying conditions.

Big thank you to Bob Jennings and his partner for collecting my Lightening wing which I'd left behind on the Saturday and to Andy for storing it in his trailer!

Looking forward to the October meet already! Cheers guys.

We made it onto page 16 of the North Wales Pioneer no less ! Somewhere between a dog nicking a kids ice cream, and a lost cat. The picture of me isn't actually me, and apparently I'm from Windsor, but heck ! All publicity is good as they say

http://html5.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/default.aspx?pubname=North%20Wales%20Pioneer&pubid=4e24e06c-c981-405e-9ef0-f1c3aec8f4fc

Credit where it's due the guy doesn't know much about aviation but he was there for most of the day and was asking lots of questions. yes

I bet the "submarine Spitfire" was due to auto correct in MS Word! laugh

Phil, if you are thinking of camping in October I'll probably also be camping at Dinarth Hall.