PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

Hey Phil,

Thanx for your more than fast reaction.  ?

Well, NO... I'm not back to building... I haven't been to La Grotte since more than two months now.

I'm suffering from a severe skin infection since then and hence it seems impossible to move on with the build of the Dog.

Only can hope for better in the future... let's stay positive...

Cheers

Chris

WESTBURY WHITE HORSE PSS EVENT RUNNING SUNDAY 22nd AUGUST ONLY

Having studied the weather forecasts for some time this week it’s clear that Saturday is not suited for PSS flying at The White Horse, Westbury with light winds, variable wind direction and rain forecast throughout the day.

As such we are making this a one day event running SUNDAY 22nd August ONLY. All other details unchanged, eg – 10am pilots brief, location etc.

For more information contact Andy Meade on 07412 502575 or email [email protected]
  • Like 1

Some great flying achieved by all who attended the White Horse meet down in Wiltshire last weekend, a lovely day on the Sunday especially in the afternoon when the wind really picked up nicely!  Lovely to fly our models on a new slope, some challenges with sharing the skies with the paragliders and hang gliders but nothing we couldnt handle! 

Some photos from the Sundays flying here :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98511435@N05/albums/72157719730676609/with/51403454290/

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Just a quick note before I travel to Wales this morning...

Sadly the weather forecast for this weekend is dominated by a High Pressure system with very light winds - and if that holds true then we won't be able to fly our PSS models this weekend at the Orme. But I wanted to make it clear the meet is still all going ahead!

EDITIMG_2120.thumb.jpg.94cd7d94ebaedc94c9e3db13996253dd.jpg

With the Sabre Mass Build we still have a scale modelling competition to run with some superb prizes and trophies for;

Best PSSA Newcomer
Most Innovative Build
Model of the Event

It is of course a 'fly for fun' event so please bring your DLGs and your thermally machines to make the most of whatever lift we are provided! I'll see you there - Pilots Brief and event launch at 10am each morning.

Many thanks - Phil
Edited by Phil Cooke

Our much deferred 2020 Sabre Mass Build Event has run successfully this weekend on The Great Orme - despite the lack of wind on the Saturday(!) - with a superb collection of new hand-crafted models all gathered together for the first time at the slope.

The event saw a total of 18 model Sabres on site, a few of them flown and tested prior to the competition, and once again the project attracted a number of first time builders and model flyers new to PSS who will hopefully return as members of the PSSA at future meets!

Every airframe was judged on the Saturday for quality of build and scale realism with a keen focus on finish, accuracy and any additonal features or variation beyond the stock plan build.  The judges enjoyed exploring the range of operational features seen including sliding canopies with full depth cockpits, working airbrakes and arrestor hooks (there were two Navy Fury variants), releasable wing stores, working strobe lights etc - some fantastic modelling and ingenuity on show!

The winners in our 3 competition categories were;

webeditIMG_7529.thumb.jpg.6e105d60f69a15b68172a87cbaeb4476.jpg

BEST PSSA NEWCOMER - James Archer - NA F-86 Sabre Boeing Chase Plane

MOST INNOVATIVE BUILD - Grange Lawrenson - NA FJ-3 Fury conversion

MODEL OF THE EVENT - Chris Barlow (pictured) Canadair F-86 Sabre RAF Bruggen

Our winners received some superb Sabre trophies and a range of prizes from RCM&E, SLEC, Permagrit and Steve Webbs Models all kindly presented by retired USAF pilot Major Art Havko.

Many thanks to all who took part and travelled against a forecast clearly unsuited to flying (on the Saturday at least) - and huge congratulations once again to all our winners!  A full event report will be written both for our PSSA website and RCM&E magazine in the near future and I think its clear we will be seeing the shape of the F-86 Sabre on our slopes for many seasons to come!

If other attendees have more photos from this event please do upload them here and share them if you would!!  Many thanks - Phil

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...