PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

Hey Phil. It all started earlier in the year when we were moving. The modelling room had been converted back to a bedroom and all my gear was packed and I was going nuts, I had to build something but it had to be small! I'd also been to an indoor meet where someone was selling Jetex kits and the idea was born. It's built from a Skyleada plan for Jetex 100 and should look like this:

The wing is built up, the whole model sheeted in 1/32 balsa. Sheet wing indeed! not a proof of concept, just boredom. Weight before painting was 103g including radio. Pics of John Hey's Flitzer inspired me to finish it but not sure it'll be done for the weekend. With any luck it should look a little like this:

It does look mint in the RAE colours... as do all types in fact! If the RC gear is in and all its in need of is the paint - Id bring it with you Matt, the wind is looking a little light for normal PSS at the mo

Im off to Spain with work in the morning, back Thursday night... will be keeping a close eye on the forecast for the weekend from over there... im not expecting to cancel the PSS meet, just want a robust forecast built up to the weekend... the forecast today looked SSE-S-SSW at speeds between 9 and 14mph, so I think we will be ok for the Southerly slope where we flew last year (where you flew your elec Mossie)

and one thing is certain, we are gonna need our suncream this weekend, it looks like a scorcher!

Good thing about these small models is they don't need much paint so you should be able to get at least an initial coat on before the weekend.

At 6pm on the friday before the June meeting mine looked like this

and, after a long night, next morning on Great Orme car park it looked like this

It needs a bit of decent lift to fly well but yours has more wing area so hopefully should go OK even if this weekend has lighter winds.

Initial tests (at midnight) showed that elevator was not big enough sit it was increased before final painting.

I was undecided where to put CG compared to the plan (with the Jetex they have to account for the balance changing as engine burns fuel and also make it stable enough for free flight). I have now moved CG back approx. 1cm behind where it is marked on the plan. Even managed 5 seconds of inverted on the weekend.

I was surprised at the effective range of those little spectrum recievers, I've managed a 25 minute flight without the battery giving out.

Hopefully see you guys at the weekend.

Having watched the forecast all week, its clear Saturdays High Pressure dominance wont allow conventional PSS flying, so to avoid unneccessary travel for any PSSA members who are only attending that day we've elected to cancel the event on Saturday. As you've stated, the Sunday forecast looks much better, improved wind strength on the most favoured SW slope, so SUNDAYS MEET WILL GO AHEAD as planned!!

I know there are a few of us travelling still on Saturday afternoon now, weve agreed to meet up in the CLOCKHOUSE CURRY HOUSE in Colwyn Bay at 7:30pm on Saturday night, enabling us to have a few beers and then easy access to the slope for an early start Sunday - assuming the weather gods play ball... fingers crossed.

Apols to anyone hoping to join us in Saturday only, these decisions are never taken lightly and I can assure you that thought and consideration has gone into it!

So, curry on Saturday night for those that can make it, and a 1 day PSSA meet officially starting at 10am SUNDAY 2nd OCTOBER - Tank Track Car park.

Its weird, the PSSA meets on the Orme always fall on the weekends I am working, I might try to get someone to cover me for an hour or so on Sunday so I can bring the kids up to see what PSS is all about.

Jon