PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

A short write up from last weekends PSSA event up on the Great Orme has now been completed and uploaded to the PSSA website - this can be seen HERE

At the end of the write up is a link to all the photographs edited from the event - they can be seen in an album directly HERE

The next PSSA event is again being held on the Orme, 16th and 17th June. See you there!

• 1 month later...

Just a reminder to all that next weekend, 16th and 17th June 2012 is the second PSSA event of the year planned up on the Gt Orme, Llandudno. Hope to see you there. See the Latest Information page at www.pssaonline.co.uk for last minute info on this event, otherwise well see you 10am at the Tank Track car park...

Edited By Phil Cooke on 07/06/2012 23:29:45

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a few pictures taken on the Sunday of this weekends PSSA meet up on the Great Orme. More photos and a write up covering the whole weekends activities will be released soon on the PSSA website and linked here.

For those that travelled, many thanks. We faced a poor and ever changing forecast all last week so it was a brave move indeed. For those there on Saturday - once the showers seen in the morning dried up we enjoyed strong SW winds and flew all afternoon until 7pm. The windspeed was 45-55mph, we measured gusts at 68mph. The heavier models revelled in this, it was pretty awesome flying - but numbers were limited due to the forecast.

Saturday night those staying over met up with Timbo and Zaidy for an nice meal and an entertaining couple of beers.

Sunday morning brought clear skies and sunshine and with it a much improved attendance - however the windspeed never got high enough to enable proper PSS flying and the group who were there enjoyed sports and electric models in the sunshine until 4pm or so when we called it a day. Heres a taster, more to follow when they are edited...

Waiting for the lift!

(Above) Waiting patiently for the wind to pick up so we can exercise the PSS fleet...

A busy pits...

(Above) A view of the busy pit area.

BBMF - PSS style

(Above) The magnificent BBMF - PSS style!

Hawk fest!

(Above) Hawk tails of various colours.

Hawk line up

(Above) The ever popular BAe Hawks, ready to 'scramble' off the Orme.

Edited By Phil Cooke on 18/06/2012 14:39:22

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi Dave - If you steer clear of some of the more popular towns like Abersoch you should find a decent BandB for less than £40 per night... We are staying in Llanbedrog at a family run BandB right

near the Londis meeting point, Simon, Sue, Timbo, Matt Rez and myself. I can't recall the name without being at home sorry but worth seeing if you can join us there or stay local?

• 1 month later...

A few photos and words covering the events from last weekends PSSA 'Fly-for-Fun' up on the Lleyn Peninsula. S/E winds dominated and hence we flew the S/E slope through Dorothy's farm. Not our most favoured site, admittedly, but still fine for PSS. Sadly the attendance was lower than expected, but those who travelled enjoyed the flying over the 2 days with a good social on Saturday night in the local Llanbedrog boozer. Sadly on Saturday 2 models were lost to the topography, one crashing out at the foot of the cliffs and one forced to ditch in the sea when at one point in the afternoon we were all caught as the lift died off and turned to sink very quickly... a stark reminder of the nature of these aggressive coastal slopes!! Anyway, on with the pictures...

editimg_3468.jpg

(Above) Matt Jones' BAe Hawk, resplendent in its new colours - 100Sqn 95th Anniversary scheme.

editimg_3487.jpg

(Above) Dave Gilder (R) and Matt Jones pose with Dave's new F-16 - Dutch Solo display colours.

editimg_3492.jpg

(Above) - Tim Mackey launches Olly P's F-4 Phantom - built for PSS from the old Metcalfe kit.

editimg_3499.jpg

(Above) - Serious terrain! - Olly looking for the F-4 which was lost downwind and landed out of sight...

editimg_3502.jpg

(Above) - F-4 down - found at the base of the cliffs - impossible to retrieve... Soon the sea will claim this one.

editimg_3505.jpg

(Above) Olly P readies himself for the Super Chipmunk - worked well off the slope!

editimg_3510.jpg

(Above) Olly's Super Chipmunk flew well as a PSS model. Prop simply removed from the motor.

editimg_3526.jpg

(Above) Dave Gilder launches his sports model when the wind was not quite enough for good PSS flying...

editimg_3540.jpg

(Above) Tim Mackey patrols the coast with his trusty Ripmax Spitfire - note the folding prop on this one.

editimg_3589.jpg

(Above) Matt Jones' Hawk makes another low pass across the slope.

editimg_3605.jpg

(Above) Low level flying!! cool

editimg_3656.jpg

(Above) Rez Manzoori flew his venerable Airbus A380 in Virgin Atlantic colours - looked gorgeous in the early evening sunlight.

editimg_3687.jpg

(Above) Tim makes sure Dave is ready for the maiden launch of the F-16 Fighting Falcon.

editimg_3691.jpg

(Above) Its away! But Dave proved the tailerons ineffective and the model was to be fitted post flight with conventional ailerons...

editimg_3713.jpg

(Above) Tim launches his well proven BAe Hawk for some fine Red Arrows formation.

editimg_3751.jpg

(Above) Olly P's Sabre was test flown successfully and showed real promise on the slope.

editimg_3820.jpg

(Above) - With Tip Tanks removed (I lost one over the cliffs earlier in the day!) my T-33 enjoys the good lift and sunlight late on the Saturday shortly before we retired for the pub!

Thanks again for all those who travelled and took part in this event.

Some of the models are indeed a few seasons old now - certainly the T-33 has been flying since 2004, the Sea Fury since 2005 and the A380 has been flying since 2006. You may have seen all these before in past issues of various UK magazines.

The models are not flown on a weekly basis, so amassing many years of PSS flying is quite normal for any airframe that is successful off the slope. Indeed I know of some models that are 20yrs old and still going strong.

But Im glad to say new models continue to be built... and each event we run tends to generate a new subject to photograph! Its why we keep doing it I guess!?...

Some of the pictures are repeated, but heres the write up from the recent Lleyn MAC PSSA fly in, now online on the PSSAs website.

Lleyn PSS

Thanks again to all who travelled and took part - I look forward to seeing you all in Wales again for the last event of the PSSA season, this time on the Gt Orme, Llandudno, 13th and 14th October.

• 2 weeks later...

Right,

The Hi-Fly is almost done. I've cut the nose off, added a firewall and am going to be covering the fuselage tonight. Need to add the trim to the tailplane and fin, and hinge the control surfaces. oh, need to solder the motor connections and mount it too.

If I get everything sorted reasonably quickly tonight then I might manage a maiden over the weekend!

• 1 month later...

Quick reminder that this weekend 13th and 14th October the PSSA is holding its final Power Scale Soaring event of the year - a 'Fly for fun' on the Great Orme at Llandudno - the wind looks promising from the West (Saturday at least!) and we are expecting a good attendance - hope to see you there. Phil

Posted by Ian Jones on 12/10/2012 22:07:53:
Hmm, I can only make one day but which to choose?

Still haven't decided.

Hi Ian, of the two days, deffo go for the Saturday, check out XC's Sundays weather, as Tim says not looking too good, week north-north easterly.

See y'all up there !

Richard