PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

Posted by Andy Meade on 20/03/2020 08:39:09:

A windy hill is far lower risk than that yes

I'm afraid I can't agree with that statement, Andy.

Our 'social distancing' rule - 1,5 > 2m - is based on how far a cough normally can reach without any 'help' from wind, for example.

A "windy hill" will certainly not be safer regarding the spread of the virus, in fact it will be worse... especially as the virus can survive up to 72 hours. no

I think that Mark K's approach is much 'safer' on several points. As Martin stated it's still extremely "fluid" at the moment.

Be safe all...

Cheers

Chris

A solitary walk on a hill would of course be healthier and safer than a crowded office, but here the 'wind' is the enemy. together with your 50+ attendants...

And yep, the virus survival is depending on the surface ie. grass, rocks, paper, plastic, etc.

Regarding the 'big boys' and the 'self risk', this LINK could be of help to understand what we're up to with Covid-19 as it is quite well explained.

Sorry about having some probs to embed the video... blush

Cheers

Chris

Mark, many thanks for your post, your concerns and guidance. I have carefully considered all your points and have discussed the situation with many other members of our group. I want to ensure we do the best thing for all.

Despite me last week following Government and BMFA guidance at the time and having carefully assessed the perceived risk in continuing with our small scale, outdoor event, my announcement is clearly causing concern related to 'non-essential social interaction'. Since my last comms, UK Government have mandated the closure of pubs, clubs, leisure centres and theatres for the exact same reason. Non-essential social activity increasing risk of potential exposure and transmission of the virus.

With the virus still yet to peak in the UK, and with the ever changing situation in our country at this time, I've reconsidered my stance and reluctantly I'm going to cancel the PSSA meets planned for April (Great Orme) and May (Bwlch).

June's Great Orme event is also in jeopardy as it falls within the 12 week window deemed necessary to control and correct our current situation. So June is currently on a watching brief. What I can say for certain, whether the June event runs or not, we will push the Sabre Mass Build element back to our planned September 2020 meeting. This enables us to run the event at full strength, with everyone wishing to take part hopefully by then free and able to travel.

So no formal PSSA event will be run on the Orme April 4th/5th, or at The Bwlch May 9th/10th.

The planned event at The Orme June 13th/14th is on a watching brief and it's running is dependant on how the country now reacts and controls our current situation. The Sabre Mass Build will move back - initially to September, but if that date later proves we still cannot welcome all participants due to enforced travel restrictions, we will defer the Mass Build further into 2021.

I hope you understand and appreciate the difficult decision I've had to take, reluctantly after a lot of work in readiness for the season, but this is clearly now the most appropriate cause of action for the PSSA.

I will set about now making the required changes to the 2020 events calendar on our website, social media, on forums and in the magazines.

Stay well all,

Phil

Edited By Phil Cooke on 21/03/2020 12:35:17

I think the people that insist on doing things against the advise of the experts and everyone else are very selfish and self centered, how will they feel when they take home the virus and it kills one of their family, its to late then to be sorry

Very good video Chris

• 2 months later...

Great Orme Event CANCELLED 13th/14th June 2020

Although the recent Welsh Government announcement has slightly eased the lockdown restrictions regarding outdoor pursuits (within 5 miles from home) we are still unable to travel to Wales. As I understand it, this position will not be reviewed again before 18th June.

Regrettably therefore, we have no option but to formally cancel our Great Orme event planned for 13th and 14th June.

We will continue to watch the situation carefully and we keep our fingers crossed for July 11th and 12th when we are still hoping to run our event with the Lleyn MAC at Abersoch.

Stay safe all, see you on a slope one day soon!

cancelled events to jun 2020.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Lleyn MAC PSSA Event pushed back to August in an attempt to save the meet!

As you have no doubt already read, the Welsh Government Covid-19 restrictions on travel are due to be relaxed from 6th July, meaning that we can once again return to the slopes for socially distanced flying purposes, on the proviso visitors do not stay over in Wales unless they have self contained accommodation. I understand there is no further review of this until 13th July, meaning that at least until that date, B&Bs, Hotels and even camp sites all remain closed.

Our annual visit to the Lleyn Peninsula flying with the Lleyn MAC was due to be held 11th and 12th July. The geography and distance makes a day trip to the Lleyn impractical, and in an attempt to secure and maintain this event in our 2020 season I am proposing a date swap with one of the 3 remaining Orme Events in Llandudno – the logic being Llandudno is far easier to attend as a day visitor, and those travelling long distances if required, could find accommodation just over the boarder around Chester - just 30 minutes drive from the Orme.

I have agreed this logic with the Lleyn MAC committee and they have been good enough already to alter their slope calendar to reflect the following changes.

11th/12th July

PSSA Fly-In at the Great Orme, Llandudno.

8th/9th August

PSSA Fly-In with the Lleyn MAC, Abersoch Area, Lleyn Peninsula.

I have adjusted our PSSA events calendar accordingly. I hope you agree this alteration to our calendar is for the best – our annual visit to the Lleyn is always very special and I wanted to make this change in the hope it allows us to fly there as a group once the restrictions are sufficiently eased for us to stay over. The only alternative was to cancel.

Please also note the date for the Sabre MB is still not yet fixed, potentially September, potentially October - we may even push this back into next season. It's a decision that will be taken based on the ability for folk to travel freely into the UK from abroad without being forced to quarantine - as we have a number of international participants wishing to take part. For now, keep building your Sabre in readiness for a September event - more on that nearer the time.

Many thanks for your understanding. Phil Cooke.

• 3 weeks later...

Big thanks to all who travelled and took part in our first PSSA event of the season over the weekend - a great Fly for Fun - albeit with some additional rules and limitations.

2 superb days up on the Great Orme - using the NW cafe slope on Saturday and the main SW slope on Sunday, once the winds sorted themselves out after lunch. Loads of new models on show following the winter and lockdown break!

Plenty of hand sanitiser and single use gloves available to help launch models for other flyers, it proved easy to socially distance and enjoy our sport in a safe and considered manner. The usual group photo was the only missing element. That and the evening meal, as pubs in Wales were all still closed, as were the hotels - those who needed to had to drive back to Chester to find the nearest accomodation. All well worth it.

Here is the best of the photos from the weekend.

Orme Album

Many thanks again to all who took part. Our next event is planned August 8th/9th at the Lleyn.

Gloves were worn by many but some found them a little snug and difficult to get on and off at pace. Hand sanitizer proved far easier after a little time, you do have to let it dry properly though before handling a scale model for fear of taking all the panel lines off where you touch!