Sterling Schweizer 1-34

Pete B

Unfortunately, Al, it is still yet to fly......embarrassedembarrassedembarrassed

It's definitely a 'round tuit' project...smile

The covering is white film, possibly Solarfilm but not sure now.

Regarding throws, I would usually set both full and reduced rates on each surface, using the low rate setting for the initial stages of the maiden but being able to switch in high rates quickly if necessary. I'd set the ailerons at about 15mm up at full rate and 10mm at low rate. I normally put in about 30-40% differential on the ailerons, which would result in about 10mm down at high rate and 6mm low rate.

For the elevator, I'd reckon on about 15mm and 10mm for both up and down, with the rudder 25mm and 15mm each way. Once she's up at a safe height, that gives you a chance to assess the response to the low throws and if the flight's going well, you can try out the higher rates. I'd expect a few flights would be necessary to tune it to how you want it.

I'll try and get her airborne before Xmas, promise....teeth 2

Good luck and let us know of progress on yours, too. I wonder how Brad got on with his? That's a nice colour scheme he has therethumbs up

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

I brought it to the Hobie Hawk fly in at Torrey Pines( Katie Memorial) this past June but the winds were only 10mph.. My weight is 4.75lb...had to add quite a few lead ounces into the nose. That being said, I'm waiting for 15-20 mph for my maiden launch. If I did it over, I would carve out the hardwood nose cap and pre load it with lead, and watch the weight in the tail more closely. I really prefer paint to film for finish and durability.... If you go to (USA) Google search ,RC Groups, then go to Sailplane talk, then 1-34 for more photos from the build.

I believe Pete has some good recommendations for control throws. Post your photos..

Good Luck Al !

Brad

Yes, the photo is out of focus. I tried several times to get my iPhone to focus on everything but eventually gave up..😄 There are some other photos posted in the album section, but they're a little out of focus too....

Edited By brad lang on 29/08/2017 10:55:37

Having built a Sterling PT19, the comparisons are interesting.

These kits were by UK standards dirt cheap, when purchased in the USA, where I obtained my kit.

My kit was also sold as suitable from FF, CL and RC.

It is apparent that the design of my kit was intended for those with little or no model building facilities or experience. Surprisingly, it did go together very well, given all the lack of present day manufacturing technologies.

In my case the variability of balsa was surprising, although it could be a consequence of a +20 year old kit, having aged.

In your case, in the recent past, HK sold so called Hi torque inrunners, that do not need a gear box. I have 3 that work very well. Another more expensive and space intensive option, that you probably considered was the inrunner and encyclical gear box. My prejudice is to only fly gliders now that have been electrified. Again in my case all my wings are vastly over spared, and therefore contain more weight than is necessary.

I toatally agree with the use of airbrakes, in the past when comp regs often forbid there use, ensured that models out of necessity would be pushed up to their limit, to both get down and hit the landing circle. Airbarkes are great, particularly now that elevator can be mixed in to control pitch, hence speed at height.

In the case of my model the spars are not the most efficient use of material for bending etc, to make an accurate built wing easier.

I did have to change a fair bit to make the model a viable multi channel RC model, rather than a SC RC model.

In my case i have got the motor wrong, in that it is not up to the job. The model flies, just under powered for comfort, a new bigger motor has been ordered.

• 1 year later...

Finally had a chance to test glide my 1-34. Dockweiller Beach, 15-20’ dune, wind 270/11- 12 knots, thrown directly into wind, 300-400 ft to ocean. Much better glide than anticipated or what I remembered from my monokoted 1-34 in 1976. 5 strong tosses. Moderate speed, low sink.Varied spoilers each time shortly after toss. Would have made the surf, EASY, with the spoilers retracted.Last toss moved both ailerons up slightly...moderate pitch down, easily compensated. Glue joints on wing tongues loosened on flights 4 and 5. Recommend wing joints to be taped for better joint seal protection..CA’d tongues later at home. Overall, very happy with flight performance. Now waiting for stronger lift at Torrey Pines..at least 12 knots..

Edited By brad lang on 10/03/2019 04:38:30

Edited By brad lang on 10/03/2019 04:43:06

• 2 years later...

I got the bug to build one of these several months ago. I remember them from my earliest glider flying days. I went with the Outerzone plans for the basic outlines of all the components but changed a lot of the construction details. The outerzone plan doesn’t show the formers so I had to estimate those. I wanted it to be lite as possible so I went with a balsa and styrofoam approach. I changed the airfoil also. I’m using an RG 15.  It’s almost done. At 42 ozs it has an 11oz/ft^2 loading, heavier than I wanted but acceptable for slope flying which is all I do. 

I’m planing on posting a full set of construction photos. 

7AF088D4-40F4-49A5-A3EB-A865EEA8F12F.jpeg

• 10 months later...

Successfully flew  my 4.75lb Sterling 1-34 at Torrey Pines(350ft bluff). Several flights with winds varying from 16-19 mph to 13-15 mph.Aircraft flew very well,spoilers very effective.Spoilerons worked well too..Videos posted on RC Groups and you tube.

Edited by brad lang

1 hour ago, brad lang said:

Successfully flew  my 4.75lb Sterling 1-34 at Torrey Pines(350ft bluff). Several flights with winds varying from 16-19 mph to 13-15 mph.Aircraft flew very well,spoilers very effective.Spoilerons worked well too..Videos posted on RC Groups and you tube.

Have you a link? I have searched for the video without success.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...