808 Key chain and MD 80 mini DV camera date time stamp removal

At last someone has come up with a reasonably easy way to remove the date time stamp from the type #3 808 Key Chain camera, by altering the firmware. After success with four 808 cameras I used the software to check the processor and firmware in my MD80 and it appeared to be the same, so I took a chance and tried it on the MD80 too. It successfully removed the date stamp, though the MD80 operation buttons now function in the same way as the 808's. i.e. On power on, the blue light is now on (as opposed to the red) one short press of 'record' takes a still photo, (blue light goes off briefly) a longer press of 'record' and there are three blue flashes and it starts video mode. Another press stops video mode, blue light come back on. The 'mode' button will no longer activate the sound activated mode.

Details of the process are on Chuck Lohrs 808 key chain mini dv web site. Look at the type #3 page, then 30th October 2010 post. here scroll down for 30/10/2010

The necessary files and ISP (In System Programming tool) are in one zipped package which is linked on there, plus links to four YouTube videos that explain the process brilliantly. (I've embedded them here.) Download the rar file, put it into a folder and unzip. Connect the camera in setup mode as explained, then execute the ISP programme. If you watch the videos a few times and pause them while carrying out the process you are less likely to make a mistake. (Well it worked for me anyway!)

These are the YouTube videos that explain the process. It worked for me on my four 808 cameras and my one MD80, though if you mess up it may kill your camera, so try it at your own risk. (Fortunately I had an 808 with no sound and no IR filter, which I was prepared to test it on. i.e. sacrifice. But it worked.)

With the MD80 I did the download stage (shouldn't affect the camera) and then 1. Did the verify stage. 2. Did the download stage. The 1528.bin.raw. file was 1696 kb's, ie the same as my 808, so I felt reasonably confident it might work. And it did.   With the MD80 I just connected the usb and pressed 'mode' to switch to enter set up mode (as opposed to 808 method in videos.)

With two of my 808 cameras the verify stage worked, but download stage failed, (it's not essential apparently) , so I went straight to the upload stage, and the process worked. (Maybe I was lucky?)

You may need to use 'reset' to get the camera to turn off after a process.

If you are using it on the 808 camera, as long as you follow the steps carefully it should remove the date stamp. Make sure you are using a good mini usb lead!

I don't work in IT , but I'm reasonably computer proficient and as said, it worked for me. If you do mess up the camera, there is advice on Chuck Lohrs site how you might 'un-brick' a camera. Not guaranteed to work though.

These are the tutorial videos. Good luck!

Edited By Bob Moore on 11/02/2011 12:10:04

Edited By Bob Moore on 11/02/2011 12:16:52

Edited By Bob Moore on 11/02/2011 12:20:34