Ben Buckle Junior 60 Electric conversion build

propogandhi

I've wanted to build a vintage model for a very long time, the idea of floating around the sky just above idle has always appealed. Now wanting something to build and with some down time on my hands I when for the Junior 60.

I'd like to use a 2s 4000 lipo, but if I need to I have a 3300 3s lipo in reserve. a 40amp esc will be used and the two standard servo's being replaced with HS-85's. The motor is rated to 30 amps constant and just under 1000kv (link below). I hope to get the AUW RTF in at no more than 3lbs.

Started this evening with the fuzz, building up the two sides on top of one another and really enjoyed the process too. Hope to have the fuzz at least on its way to looking complete by the end of the weekend, maybe the motor will arrive tomorrow too.

MOTOR: http://www.giantcod.co.uk/epower-bl2820-brushless-outrunner-motor-p-402457.html

prop.

I've had a Junior 60 for some time with a SC 32 2 stroke (cheap and cheerful but does the job well). I've fitted 4 1/4" wheels to cope with a less-than-bowling- green strip and covered the airframe with Solartex. A little addition to the weight but it makes for a really rugged structure. Still floats around on low power setting.

I hope that you have as much fun as I've had with the model.

BTW, I came across this seller the other day -

He's got some decent looking laser cut short kits of vintage models and to the inexperienced 'proper' builder (me) the prices look ok. I'm not sure how much more it would cost to finish them but the idea of not having to cut out and sand piles of ribs, etc, makes them look rather attractive.

Good morning all, nice to see this classic model still stirs up a lot of interest. Tom I think your right, 2S will be the way forward, but I'll try the 3S, just for bench test comparisons. And thank you Nigel for the link, I'm already posting in that thread too

I must say, I LOVE giant Cod RC. Ordered the motor for this model yesterday lunch time, turns up on my door whilst I'm having my breakfast this morning!. I don't know how GC do it, but I've never had a parcel take longer than 24hrs to reach me. Really very good company.

Anyway so I have the motor now and can approach installation later. For now I'm off to my local model shop (308 hobbies, its great, its just two min walk away!) to buy some replacement 1/4x3/16 and 1/4x1/4 balsa strip. The strip that is supplied in the kit is very hard and heavy and a bit of a pain to work with, so in the interest of saving weight, it needs replacing with a lighter grade.

Some progress pictures later I hope.

prop.

Progressing well Prop.
A vintage model with all it's glorious open structure has real
aeromodelling appeal - especially covered in one of the translucent
'vintage' solartex colours.
It seems to be a trend in many kits today to include balsa which
is too hard & heavy - good on you for buying more suitable wood.

A leccy Junior 60 is just the model for wafting around the sky on the
long,calm sunny summer evenings we're going to have this year.

• 2 weeks later...
Been a while since I was last at the work bench due to a busy schedule at work, but found some time to progress today. The Fuzz has been completed as much as I'd like to for now and I have moved on to the wing. I need to have the wing build so I can figure out exactly my idea for retaining the wing to the fuzz. So get the wing out of the way and I can continue with the fuzz etc.

One half of the wing is now basically complete. If I'm lucky, I'll find time to have the other half at the same stage this time next week....

prop.

Managed to work on the wing this weekend, and it is now almost complete. As I plan to make the wing 'bolt on' I moved away from the plan some what with regards to the center section. The T/E now has a hard balsa block added and as wing bolts will pass through this section. To give strength I've added 'center spars', upper and lower 1/4 sq with webbing, and one lower 3/16. Solid balsa block will be added to the opening in the L/E and will accommodate dowel pegs to hold the wing to the fuzz through a former that I still need to add.The entire center section will now bee sheeted as per plan. I still have to complete the other side of this center section.

Looking at the 'events' calander over the weekend, the first show I notice is the Old Warden Mayfly weekend, which notes 'vintage and electric models

prop.

Thank you Danny, this is just a distraction until I get the Savex Spitfire!

What are you working on for the coming season? I won't be able to make it to your club fly-ins this year as I'm working at Wings and Wheels, but i wonder if you'll be making it down to Old Warden for the first event of the season? 5-6th May, electric and scale (and anything else) flying in.

prop.

Hi Prop, the small Savex Spit or the 60 sized one?

I am just about to hit the finishing stage on a 70" TN Spit, and then back to the long builds of a BT Hurricane and Mustang.

I would love to make Old Warden, I have not been to a model event there, Chris Bott and I mused about bringing the two DB Moths (Tiger and Cirrus) a couple of years ago, for a bit of formation flying,but it didn't happen.

Shame you cannot make Greenacres this year, it was a good weekend and the flightline banter was excellent, especially the evening flights with yourself, Tim and Netty.

Cheers
Danny

• 2 weeks later...
As I'm making the wings 'bolt on' I've cut and added a former for the wing dowels to rest in, and the balsa block that will hold the dowels has now been added to the center section of the wing. I can now align the wing to the end of the fuzz and drill holes for the wing bolts and wing dowels.

Once I have the wing fixings all sorted I'll move onto the tail and then the cowl and then installations and finishing

prop.

• 1 month later...
Haven't found time until recently to work on the J60, here is some progress below. Cowl is held in place firm with rare earth magnets, and has a nice 'snap' to it when put on, so I don't think it will be going anywhere in flight. Motor now mounted too and the U/C was soldered up last weekend and bolted directly onto the bottom of the fuzz, held in place with saddle clamps.

Next once I've sanded back the filler on the cowl, I've go over it with sanding sealer and once that is cut back I'm hoping filler primer, then primer will be enough to stop the grain showing through, then I can just spray it without messing around with glass/epoxy finish. Time will tell.

Installation of electronic this week, then I hope to be ready for covering by the weekend. My aim is to have the model test flown and ready for Bickley at the end of May!

prop.

Edited By propogandhi on 08/05/2011 17:43:31

Aha! So this is what you're up to Stuart? Very neat build, it looks really good. I once had an enormous vintage aeroplane, with rudder/elevator control and an OSFS 60 up front, and had many happy hours of gentle flight with that model.

I think you will love this mate!!

Matt