Ben Buckle Junior 60 Electric conversion build

propogandhi

Hi Tim, I'm sorry. It is just very frustrating to be looking farward to model, and be told it was damaged and wouldnt be repaired only to find out on this forum, that the model was sold at Wings and Wheels to Tony.

I will make it up to you by building a Junior 60 and putting the build on here

Thanks
Chris

• 3 months later...
I started building mine yesterday and will treat the front end to the way you have done it.

I am having to build the wing in 2 pieces due to space constraints both in the house and in the car {Toyota IQ!] but i Like the idea of bolt on wings.

I was either going to permanently attatch the tail feathers or make them bolt on too. Advice please.

Because of the risk of damage to the fuselage in storage and transport I was going to sheet the whole thing but keep as light as possibe. Any ideas or comments.

This is my first model in 40 years. Nothing has changed except the glue and the motive force I am looking for either extra long standoffs like you have used for your motor or a bracket of some description. Any ideas and if so where from.

Thanks for pictureing your build. Its been a great help,

• 3 months later...

Foreground i/c powered Keil Kraft Junior 60. Background, Flair ARTFJunior 60, Electric power.

Here's my two Junior 60's. The one in the foreground is 42 years old and built, by me, from a KeilKraft kit. It's recently been recovered in solartex and is powered by an HP21VT. Has in the past been single channel and powered by a PAW 15 Diesel, Super Tigre G20/23 and a PAW 19BR. Sounds almost as quiet as an electric model and flies easily on half throttle, but requires a rather long take of run.

The one in the background is a recent Flair ARTF Junior 60. Powered by an AXI 2828/10 with a Jeti 40 Amp ESC and 3s A123 battery. It has been problematic, in that the glue joints in the structure were poor and have had to be re glued to some extent, tailplane was completely rebuilt due to poor quality wood and warps. Now flies sucessfully but will in due course get a re-cover in semi transparent vintage Solartex for a more authentic vintage look (I like the sun to shine through the wings as the model flies overhead). It flies on quarter throttle and has a very short take off run.

They are both the wide body version of the Junior 60 as supplied in the current Flair kit, the Ben Buckle kit builds the original version from 1948, which has the narrower fuselage.

They are both excellent models for a relaxing flight on a calm summer evening.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Hello Bob C

The little HP VT 21 will proably fly the Flying Quaker as it has a much lower wing loading than a Junior 60. I use a "Double Hi-Lube" fuel from Southern Modelcraft in southern England in the HP VT 25. **LINK** This has an oil content of 18% half of which is castor oil and half of which is synthetic oil. I have not had any trouble with the engine gumming up with this combination.

However, the last time I tried to fly the Junior 60 with this engine their was insufficient power to permit a take off. The same situation applied the previous time I tried to fly the model so we hand launched it.

Why this was the case I've no idea but I converted the model to electric power. https://www.modelflying.co.uk/members/albums/default.asp

I plan to fit the HP VT to a Peter Russell STOL but I probably won't live long enough what with other projects getting in the way! wink

I use the Junior 60 as a basic trainer with wobbly, nervous, elderly beginners. I find that even using my biggest batteries the flight times are not long enough and with electric power you have to make sure that you don't flatten the LiPos to such an extent that it is difficult to recharge them again. I have toyed with the idea of converting it back to i/c power as I have subsequently acquired an as new ASP 30 four-stroke which should suit it very well.

One of the "projects" mentioned above is something called a Guidato which is similar to a Junior 60 but with a tricycle undercarriage.I will probably fit the ASP in that. I've never seen a Guidato in the flesh and it will make a refreshing change to all of the more regularly produced vintage models. I may adopt a more conventional wing structure though. **LINK**

As for the wheels they were something I picked up cheap at a show! Not sure whether Trexler wheels are still available but you could try an on-line search. Let me know if you're unsuccessful.

Pictures of my converted Junior 60 below with and without the graphics.j60 in winter.jpg

junior 60 in flight.jpg

Edited By David Davis on 17/01/2019 08:19:15

I used to have a VT 25 in a Junior, many moons back, had plenty of go for the Junior. Can't recall exact airframe weight, around 4lb I think. Would have been run on part synth part castor. Never had any trouble from it, a bugger to start I recall, used to be an electric starter job, but reliable as anything when going. Still have the engine, fine bit of machining work, bit of an anchor, less power than a wet fart, but in a short nose vintage type, that's no big issue.