Ben Buckle Junior 60 Electric conversion build

propogandhi

more progress, i hope to have her finished for the weekend. The plan was to have her ready for bickley on Sunday, but I'll not be able to make it now, but still it continues:

One side covered, antique solar text

fuzz covered and sand sealed cowl in place.

The entier model is now covered. Tomorrow I will start the glazing and maybe the spraying of gloss black on the L/E etc.

prop.

Hey Danny, yeh that's exactly why I'm not going now. With the cost of driving, the weather has to be perfect for any event I'm thinking of attending now. Its a real shame though, virtually no electric only events now days it seems I keep hoping RCM&E will help fill the gap, but nothing yet I'd dearly like to come to the RCME general fly in at your club, but have to work that weekend. No this year is not a good year for shows for me I'm afraid.

BTW had a look at your glassing video on youtube. Very interesting, I'll refer back to it when I net glass a model. Also can you post a link to your TN spitfire thread please?

prop.

Edited By propogandhi on 21/05/2011 02:12:38

got on with the glazing today, and never really finding the perfect glue to secure clear plastic with, I decided to use UHU but then also push in so domed head pins, to help hold the plastic in place. I happy to report that it seems to work rather well, and the pin heads give a nice effect I think.

The 'window frames' if you like, and the L/E's of the model will now be masked off ready for spraying with gloss black, but this may have to wait until next weekend now.

prop.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuzz and cowl now spay, will use wooden prop instead of APC

Tamiya X-1 gloss black used.

Wing masked and varnished ready for spraying. I varnish it 1st (tamiya acrylic satin varnish) to seal the masking tape edges. I've found it gives a good clean paint edge this way.

prop.

Finished off my J60 today and hope to test fly next weekend. Interestingly I tried my set-up, with a 2s 4000 lipo, but could only achieve 125w (@16amp). I was expecting more, and the battery was fully charged, but with my AUW RTF at 3.7lbs, 30ish watt/lbs wasn't going to fly this model. So with a 3s 3200 lipo I am now getting 365w @29amp. My AUW has of course gone up too (3.95lbs). That now gives me roughly 85w/lbs, which is more than enough, so I may prop down to a 12x5. Not that I have to fly at full throttle, but I'll try it anyway. I didn't want to be cruising above 1/2 throttle anyway, its not that kind of model. Its just that I was power to spare now.

My CG came out spot on, and I added a switchable LED light set to aid those late evening flights, the only thing is that I've misplaced the set-up details, so can someone please let me know how much throw I should have on the rudder and elevator.

The model was a pleasure to convert (other than the heavy wood supplied by BB that needed replacing), and I enjoyed converting, and gain good info from this thread, so thanks to all. I'll post back after the maiden.

S.

Wasn't very dark at this point, but you get the idea.

Looks great Prop, makes my fingers itch just to look at her. I've had a go at the Webbit and know my limitations and shortcomings but I would still love to have a go at a Super 60 again. I would use ic as I have some engines laying around that need a home. Great job mate.
Geoff

Very Wonky Webbit Builder No 20

• 2 weeks later...
Just an update on this plane.

I met young prop at W&W and bought it! He has done a terrific build job and if it flies as good as it looks (and I'm sure it will) it will be a peach of a model.

He was really, really helpful and even assisted me in selecting appropriate batteries from one of the traders.

If it was not for the onset of a migraine caused by the bright sun, I would have flown it when I got home. looking forward to a calm sunny evening now.

Thanks for your time lad, good on yer prop!

• 1 month later...
Help!

I've now had a few flights and have run into a bit of a trimming problem. As throttle is advanced the plane will climb like a Saturn 5 and turn to the left. I have put in a LOTof down and side thrust (to the right) and have also added weight to the nose so that it balances on the main spar, but still cannot kerb this tendancy.

The model will glide for ever in a reasonably straight line and I cannot see any obvious warps. Lateral balance seems fine. As you can see from Props photographs he has done a cracking good job on the build.

The climbing is part of the nature of this type of model so I have mixed in down elevator with the throttle which helps a lot. I'm really scratching my head over the left turn. Even with loads of right thrust it will turn very sharply to the left at anything over half speed.

Any Ideas or suggestions would be most gratefully received.

Tony, the cg should be moved back & the glide re-trimmed with some down elevator to counter the climb under power. I have the Flair version & it flies with the cg about 1.25 inches behind the plan position which is on the main spar.
I haven't flown mine for a few years it is possible that I flew it with some permanent right rudder trim but I can't remember this creating any particular problem between power & glide.

Mine was powered by an old type OS Max 25 driving an 11x6 prop (Sometimes a 12x6) I did build in some downthrust but no sidethrust. The elevator was permanently down about 3 or 4 degrees, it could take off at about 1/2 throttle, cruise around at 1/4 & I used throttle control for climb & descent. Elevator was only really used for aerobatics & maintaining level in turns.

tony-my experience......you'll find that any high throttle settings tend to make the junior fly a bit messy....so i tend to use half throttle and less most of the time......you'll also find that once you are at what ever height you want - you prob have to trim to keep straight and level for what ever throttle setting you use......i also have to introduce some down trim to land....i have no side thrust in mine-only down thrust......they were designed in 1946 for free flight......

ken anderson ne...1. JNR60 dept.

Thanks Ken & Pat, your right about flying messy, I'll keep it below half throttle.

I have learnt something about trimming from your posts. I would have added more and more weight to the nose to stop the climbing under power. Now I can try some tail weight instead and see what happens.

I will probably control the left turn with a mix.

You might also find that adding packing under the front of the tailplane (or the rear of the wing) will help. I had to put 3/16 of balsa under the front of the tailplane on mine to help control the climb. It still out-soars some of the gliders! Hope that helps. Cheers, John.

Hey tony, I've only just seen the thread (just got married so I've been a little distracted!). I only flew her twice before I sold her to you. Like the guy's are saying here, i quickly realised that the J60 was most comfortable to fly at 1/2 throttle or less. Anything more and you have power that this airframe was never really designed to handle so she becomes a little interesting to fly. I did actually add some down and right thrust of my own after the first flight (you may have noticed the washers behind the motor mounts) and i thought it helped a little. The CG with the lipo in place was pretty much bang on where the plan suggested, so that should'n t be an issue.

I personally loved how it glided in forever on the landing approach, for me its added to the beauty of flying the model. I was a great shame that I had to sell it, but I started panic selling as my big day approached, it turns out that I actually had more saved than I thought and I needn't have sold her in the end! But I'm glad she went to a good home. Have you tried the lights yet? I actually did the maiden flight at night as I was pushed for time and the winds didn't drop until the sun went down, but she's such a pussy cat, the night maiden went off which out a hitch.

tony if possible I'd love to see some in flight photo's and maybe even a video of her flying. I like to get a photo record of every model I've ever owed in flight, especially if i sell it, but i never got the chance with this J60.

BTW, how did the lipo's work out? Did they fit without a problem?

I seem to remember you saying you flew in the bedford area? Have you considered the Baldock electric fly-in in Sept? Maybe I'll see you there.

Glad to her your enjoying her and good to seeing my time in the workshop paying off

prop.

Edited By propogandhi on 30/07/2011 22:11:16

Hey Prop! Congratulations!!!! Married life is the best thing.

I love the Jnr 60! I don't own a camcorder so will have to get a chum to film it.

I had to go for the Hyperions in the end as the others were a touch too long. No worries as RB exchanged them for me. Thanks RB .

The lights are excellent. Some of the old hands were amazed when I turned them on.

I fly in NE Essex, but Baldock is not really that far away (as the Jnr 60 flies!).

If you have any spare time on your hands how about building a Spook?

She blocks it out with her shoe thing Thanks guy's.

No time for another build. Well, let me re-frase that. I only now plan to build what I will keep, but I'm happy to take commissions

So does this mean you might make it to Baldock then Tony? It would be good to see her in the air again.

prop.

• 1 month later...
MMMMMMMM, Very interesting forum this.

Just an update on this plane.

I met young prop at W&W and bought it! He has done a terrific build job and if it flies as good as it looks (and I'm sure it will) it will be a peach of a model.

He was really, really helpful and even assisted me in selecting appropriate batteries from one of the traders.

If it was not for the onset of a migraine caused by the bright sun, I would have flown it when I got home. looking forward to a calm sunny evening now.

Thanks for your time lad, good on yer prop

Edited By Tim Mackey on 21/09/2011 19:28:07