the first tiger cub microlight

Hi Tom,

yes that is my tigercub but it is in the middle of removing covers as the old film was lifting away from the foam, soon be ready for a new paint job, not sure what colour scheme yet, or what to bond the new polyester fabric on with yet but I have all winter,

just think they are a great plane,i look forward to seeing Andys plane one day,

Your r/c plane video looks great,

That must be almost as big as my tigercub,

Keep up the good work

Ian

Hi Ian

Thanks for the comments on my model.

As for recovering your TG had you considered a ready sewn Dacron bag for the wings? As always alternative covering methods and materials can go against weight and cost considerations but I have always thought it would be good to come up with a capping solution that held the fabric off the foam.

I recon it would be well worth paying Andy a visit as from what I have seen on here he has made a great job and come up with some interesting mods.

Regards

Tom.

Hi Ian

I used Solartex for all my covering. It cost about £400 all in but there's no need to paint. It worked out very light too. I'm based in Huddersfield and the cub is now hangered at Crosland Moor. I was flying again over the weekend so I have a couple of hours under my belt now. You would be more than welcome to come and visit

Andy

Hi Tom,

I have looked at a Dacron bag until I found a covering system called Stewart system which uses a waterborne glue and primer filler, it also uses waterborne top coat which a good choice so it will not eat the foam cores.

Hi Andy

Your cub looks really great in the red colours Finnish looks really glossy and crisp

I looked at solartex but it looked a lot thinner than the Tigertex and was unsure what loads the cover would be under so I purchased the ceconite with Stewart system adhesive for just over £700

Why is that after you order something, you find that you could have done it different cheaper and easier

I will try to fly up to see your tigercub when the days get longer as my ax3 is bit on the slow side at 50mph to get from Popham

You can never have enough toys,

Ian

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...
On 29/05/2015 at 12:19, JoanW said:

It was a delight meeting Mark (OP this thread) at a motorway service station halfway between our homes for Ginge to collect the original Tiger Cub's propeller. [...]

Apologies, by the way, to anybody following Ginge's project blog. Our web host has been sold and now we can't update it. I'm trying to move the site elsewhere (grr!)

Joan

Edited By JoanW on 29/05/2015 11:20:05

It amazing to think that it's five whole years since the sad ending of this thread, and the last year has been one we'd never have predicted back then.

Anyway, with reference to Ginge's blog about his Tiger Cub restoration which actually led me to this site in the first place, I've got round to cobbling together a crude way of viewing it via a Wordpress site. If you are interested, its at www.SaxonMicro.co.uk. It's rather clunky to view but it is at least accessible again.

Keep safe everyone and don't get too social too soon.

Joan