Charity Mass Build - In Build Chat Thread

Hi,

I thought we'd have a new chat thread to run specifically whilst the build is on.

Ask questions, share experiences, just chat about the build etc.

First item, I've been asked where folks should put there personal build blogs. Well I think a good idea would be in the "Charity Mass Build" topic, but make sure the thread name has your name in it:

e.g. Webbit Build - Joe Bloggs

Otherwise we'll end up with 50 build blogs all called "My Webbit Build Blog"!

Happy building people!

BEB

Posted by David Gilder on 03/04/2011 20:14:09:
Just wondered what peeps are doing on the electric side with regards to cooling?

Personally I am incorperating an Air Scoop undder the front end!

I await your replies!!

Dave

The front of my cowling is about 1" which allows quite a bit from the prop, then the last 1/2" of the sheeting under the motor is open. I have some holes in the firewall, and a 1 1/4" hole in the bottom of the fuselage about 4" behind the back of the undercarriage plate. The bottom of the wind-shield will have an air scoop.

I think it will be a good idea to use a decent battery (30c or above) to prevent it getting too warm

It's getting complicated in here! There's all the threads on individual models, the example sections and this as well.

I'm concentrating on posting what I'm doing on my own thread, so less likely to pop in here. Mind you I seem to be changing far too much, so maybe most shouldn't follow my example?
I've just posted about my different U/C. If anyone wants to comment then here or my thread will do.

Cheers
Chris

Posted by Chris Bott on 06/04/2011 18:19:00:
It's getting complicated in here! There's all the threads on individual models, the example sections and this as well.

I'm concentrating on posting what I'm doing on my own thread, so less likely to pop in here. Mind you I seem to be changing far too much, so maybe most shouldn't follow my example?
I've just posted about my different U/C. If anyone wants to comment then here or my thread will do.

Cheers
Chris
I used a similar idea on a trainer I built, but mine were two separate legs that were held with double width saddle clamps, they were not joined, and the part that went into the fuselage went into hard wood blocks that were reinforced onto the frame (no ply, a 1/4" square hardwood frame triangulated between the u/c, motor and wings)

Has never shown any signs of damage, even after very hard landings. I think t will probably be the best idea for the Webbit.

My Webbit u/c bolts on to a hardwood frame attached to the ply sides, extra to the original plan.

All in just 6 days too, that's not quick by some peoples standards but I'm pretty slow at building and a wing & fuselage in that time is really good going.

Maiden flight next week .. I wish.

Oh, while you there Chris - camping at Greenacres when We have the fly in - wiil; we need to book in advance?

Ian

Has anybody else found that the wing chord is too wide for the fuselage mount,or is it my cack-handed building? I must admit I didn't build the wing over the plan,I just squared up the ribs directly onto the building board,however that should make no difference to the chord,as it is set by the laser-cut ribs,......................Mal.

Ian there is tons of space for camping. We have never persuaded everyone to let us know they are coming.
However, we always say it would be useful if people could let us know they are coming so we have some idea how many to make space for.
I have a bit of a feeling there could be more this year than last, so if you could let us know, we can prepare if necessary for large numbers by changing the layout to suit.

Mal mine overhangs just a little but as the wing seat just tapers off over the rear fus then its not a problem.

Best to email the Chairman Reg Lewis. I can't put his email address on here for fear of spam. But I do write the website, so I know if you have a look here for the Fly in details . From there, there's a link to committee email addresses. The Secretary is another good contact too.

Still happy to field questions on here, but anything more official should go to the er... officials.

Hi Everybody,

All the threads take a little keeping up with but they are great !!!!! I think this is the one for my little bit of input so here goes.

I have now been building my Webbit for about six weeks, as said before, and I am now ready to cover the fuselage with Solarfilm and the plywood is dutifully coated with Balsa lock. I am a very slow builder these days mainly due to age related health problems. My pills make me very tired and sleepy and I cannot stand for long and today I have to assemble one of those durned flatpacks, a stand for the new digital TV in the bedroom for the memsahib.

A thing I am loving is the sight of all your workshops with the shots of the now so familiar Webbits in various stages of construction. My own is reasonably standard. I am using two servos in the wing and have, perhaps, over engineered the mountings. Also, I have curved a piece of 0.4mm ply over the centre section leading edge and a short length of 1/8" sq. spruce inlet into the c/s t.e.

In the fuselage I have brought the motor bulkhead forward to mount the leccy motor directly to it with short bolts and captive nuts. Like Big Bandit I have plenty of holes in the nose former and bulkhead. In fact mine is very similar to his. Behind the main bulkhead I have epoxied a beech rail to both interior sides. To these I have screwed a removable platform, made from one of the surplus pieces of ply that came with my kit. This piece is to have velcro on both sides. Uppermost for the lipo, beneath for the esc. The windscreen is a removable hatch with a tongue and two miniature round magnets, from Maplins, for easy access to the lipo. I am sticking to rubber bands for wing mounting and am definitely going for an undercart for I must completely master take offs and landings.

So, as soon as the fus is covered, which should not ta ke very long, I shall have my ARTF Webbit. But I am apprehensive about soldering on all those little connectors, with my shaky hands.

Finally, I do intend to start on my Webbit 52 and perhaps will be able to show that as well at Greenacres. Anyway, if I get cracking ,I can do a blog showing whatever differences, they are mostly already planned, I will be making. I have got myself a set of those soft disc cutters.

Cheers for now. Alan.

Sounds great Alan. I look forward to seeing a bigger one.

You've reminded me that I intended to strengthen my wing trailing edge to take the pull of the wing bands. Drat! (substitute any "annoyed" word here) that will teach me not to rush!

Not sure how many people have started their build yet TBH.

Hopefully I will soon know how many kits have been sold by SWM!!

Once I do, I will put a post in to let you all know!!

Dont forget to keep mentioning it down the field and at your club meetings!! Its still not to late for new builders!! SWM may even keep their donation offer open till a few weeks after the Greenacres Flyin as the flyin may produce a few orders as a result of the Mass Flyin!!

Dave

Edited By David Gilder on 07/04/2011 17:53:01

Posted by David Gilder on 07/04/2011 18:21:34:
IAN

You have just made my day!!!

The word NUMPTY springs to mind!!!!

Wonder if it would be more stable though!??

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!

Oh it's alright for you laughing, I had to get the thing off again !

Just in case I'm giving the wrong impression here I feel I should mention that actually as a whole the build is going very well! It's those gemloins that want to spoli it, I'll get 'em.

...and a spell checker.

Edited By Ian Jones on 07/04/2011 18:37:49

Ah well Ian

We all make mistakes at some point!! Mine are normally in the air!!! and never 10 mistakes high!!!

At least you had the guts to own up up to the mistake and show it so others dont make the same mistake!! Can I use your pic in my Wing build thread when I do the tips!!??

Cheers

Dave