Charity Mass Build - In Build Chat Thread

Interesting, thanks Doug,

Side thrust doesn't seem to be problem but opening the throttle, even in quite small amounts, seems to give an undesirable urge to climb. This makes level flight harder work than it needs to be. The glide though is sweet and stable. So I think mine needs some down thrust.

Hello Richard,

Thankyou for your comments about keeping the ESC cool. I have a 1" dia and two 1/2" dia holes in the bulkhead, behind which the ESC lies as close as possible. I would have put it in front of the bulkhead if it was possible but there is insufficient room. So I have cut an "exhaust" hole just behind the undercarriage plate, to allow a freer passage of air over the ESC. However, still awaiting my flying buddies to decide the weather is nice enough to have a go.

In the meantime, everybody, or anybody who might be interested, Webbit 52 is slowly progressing. Herewith some photos and comments.

The fuselage sides are from medium 3/32" sheet. Extra bits had to be added on to get the necessary width of the foward part. The nose (cowl) will be built around the OS 30 with thick sheet. From standard 36" x 4" sheet, I was still short 3/4", but a bit of fiddling around with some t.e. balsa has sorted that. The doublers are 1/16" ply. I intended 1/32" but found I had insufficient. Main bulkhead and u/c plate are 1/4" birch ply and the tank bay is 1/8" liteply. Longerons 3/16" square.

Wing supports 1/8" balsa.

As this version is longer simple formers have been added, mainly to support the push rods ( not pictured but now installed).

I use a variety of adhesives. Doublers are bonded with Impact adhesive (Evostick). I used to use it on my stunters. All ply constructions done with five minute epoxy. Formers built up with c.a. And everything else with alyphatic wood glue.

Scaled up, the thickness of the tail feathers is approximately 5/16ths of an inch, so a built up structure is my solution to keep the weight down at the rear. The fin and stabiliser have 1/16" soft balsa sheeting on the outside with 3/16" spacers. However, rudder and elevator are being made from laminations of 3/32"outers sandwiched round a 1/8" transverse core, all balsa. I have a set of those soft core cutters and intend to cut as many lightening holes as they will stand.

That is it for now. Must get on. Alan.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Every One,

Just been speed reading and catching up a little. I posted a rather large post in its own thread

More like a book really. If you dont want to read it all, just look at the beginning as it gives a break down of the monies rised for AR (charity).

There's also some unexpected news ( to some) regard the WebBIT 'kit'. You may all have a little piece of history.

After the Fly In I was a little unwell, I'm glad to say i'm back upright now.The RCME arrived and WebBIteers of Sat and Sunday are pictured. I have said it before, but once again. Thanks to everyone for making this happen.

Steve

P.s