Charity Mass Build - In Build Chat Thread

Posted by Ian Jones on 07/04/2011 18:59:11:
LOL, Yes Dave go ahead if you must

A good example of how not to do it.

Yes you're not the only one to ,errr ,make a slight mistake.Mine was to glue the firewall in upside down,after it had been drilled for the engine mount(i.c.engine).I thought the engine thrust line looked a little low............................Mal

Hello WebBITeers,

I tried to mail Dave Gilder** this news as I got a message from Ann and Tom at SWM ( last week) that we had over 50* sign ups for the WebBIT mass build. The question had been asked as to how many had sold? and I can confirm that as off today's date there's 61 WebBIT kits been sold since January the 1st. I think only one kit had sold in the New Year at the start of the Mass Build, so 60 +kits by April is good going for WebBITS! Many Thanks.

BTW - I understand we have a few overseas sales, one from America and one from Spain was mentioned to me today.

* I think there's been a few more sign up since I was told that.

That would give £305 at £5 per kit, but its actually going to be quite a bit more as we are not stopping the £5 per kit until a couple of weeks after the RCME Fly In and one would hope some more WebBITs will sell and also we have amongst the kits sold already 3 Kits were donated from Belair these will count as £140 and also a few donations WebBIT specific ( £35 at this mornings check).

It would be 58 x £5 = £290 + 3 x £40 = £120 = £430

+ £35 donations - so £465 at today's date. But the figure isn't final as we haven't stopped yet!

You don't have to be a maths genius to work out we are only a few more donations or kits from £500! which would be great.

While all the above has been going on, I have still been raising money for a target I set before the WebBIT Mass Build. I hope this may also be of interest as its all for good causes.

I raised £250 for Dr Ewin's Clinic at Chester ( haven't got a receipt off him yet) and I'm about to write a cheque to RA today for £250 as I hit my Target of £1000 that was set last November. Dr Nixon and Dr Davie have already had their cheques of £250 each ( receipts on show on line and in the shop with nice letters of thanks). Full details are at the RCMF.co.uk website and Flyingsites.co.uk web sites in the SWM sections. If anyone is interested.

Thank to everyone who has helped with the donations!

Its not over yet, until the Fat Model Shop owner sings!

Steve

** My old faithful PC at home has gone to the computer junk yard in the sky and taken my email contacts with it! Not at the SWM shop, but at home - so I couldnt mail this to Dave - so I posted it.

Thanks Steve

That is FANTASTIC NEWS!!

I goes to show though that not Everyone who has bought the Webbit has "signed up" on here!!

As we will also be having collection pots at the Flyin, I believe that £500 will be a minimum amount raised!!

What a great way to help a worthy cause and promote the sport / hobby in the process!!

Well Done everyone but dont slow up yet!!

Dave

Posted by Ian Jones on 07/04/2011 18:18:50:
You can't look away for a moment.

I did and look what someone went and did!

Who would do such a thing?

Ian

In fact it is not so silly, you should have left it and rounded off the front corner, and you would have had a better wing tip, with less tendency towards tip stalling.

The only thing you did wrong was to take it off again

Posted by Steve W-O on 11/04/2011 16:38:07:
Posted by Ian Jones on 07/04/2011 18:18:50:
You can't look away for a moment.

I did and look what someone went and did!

Who would do such a thing?

Ian

In fact it is not so silly, you should have left it and rounded off the front corner, and you would have had a better wing tip, with less tendency towards tip stalling.

The only thing you did wrong was to take it off again
Ah well, I'll know next time then
Ian

Edited By Ian Jones on 13/04/2011 00:27:04

Oh that's good, I quite like having the elevator at the front

While I'm here, here's some information about a discount offer on Mass BUild T shirts.

If you are in the market for more than one Charity Mass Build T Shirt 2011 then this could be for you.

Until 4th May there’s a special promotion on organic products, so that includes the latest addition to the Mass Build range of clothing which indeed is an organic T Shirt.

Use the voucher code ORGANIC2011 for UK (or ECO2011 for EU) at the checkout and a 20% will taken off the entire order if it includes at least 2 organic products. (This will not affect the charity donation)

Ian

Just a reminder for anyone reading this that doesn't know: Mass build T shirts etc are available and for each product purchased the £1.00 commission will be donated to the cause - Arthritis Research. I am making no profit on the Mass Build products. Full details are in the first few posts of this thread. Go on fly the flag - you deserve it. (Click here for the 1st page of this thread and clothing ordering details)

• 2 weeks later...
OK, time for an updated roll call now that we are well underway:

1. David Gilder
2. Lindsay Todd
3. BEB
4. John Thompson 5
5. Tony Prince
6. Andy Green
7. Chris Bott
8. Dan Moore
9. Danny Fenton
10. Big Bandit
11. John Lee
12. Mal Brewer
13. Ron Dudson
14. Mark Rowse
15. David Davis
16. Kevin Fairgrieve
17. Alan Dorrell
18. Steve Webb
19. Ian Jones
20. Geoff Smith
21. Engineer:Atomic
22. Dave Whitehouse
23. Richard Wood
24. Andy Butler
25. GrumpyGnome
26. Lady Sarah
27. Steven Butler
28. Chris Poulton
29. Richard Harris
30. Barry Grafham
31. John Redmond
32. LOKI
33. David Wilson 8
34. Kevo
35. Simon B
36. Olly P
37. Vecchio Austriaco
38. IDD15
39. Mal Quelch
40. Andrew Bourne
41. Robert Dunn
42. Burnsmoker
43. Doug Ireland
44. MartynK
45. rActive
46. Steve Fish
47. Andy Muckley
48.Pete Collins
49. David Perkins 1
50. Martin Rowley 1
51. Whacky
52. Bill Pettit

This total matches pretty well what the guys in Webbies told me yesterday when I called in - I think they estimated 51 - but that's near enough!

If you are in the build and your name is not on the list please let me know - even if you want to go on there as "anon"!

Still not too late to get involved if you've a last minute interest! I've only just started mine and we still have 4 weeks build time left! Don't let the speedy ones put you off

BEB

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Everybody,

Let us use this thread for one of the reasons BEB intended it for. Us run of the mill mortals who are just building Webbits, as it were, for the fun of it. And it has been, and still is , the greatest fun. Especially reading and contributing to the various threads.

Well, my Webbit is now redy to fly after spending about two and a half months putting her together. And here she is:

There she is with her disgusting, cheapo. unsaleable, pink Solarfilm contrast underside.

Now to important details. She weighs 985 gms without the Lipo, which I would think is almost exactly the same as Bg Banndit's. It can be seen that she has seperate aileron servos. The build is pretty standard, but I beefed up the u/c plate to 1/4" ply. Also the motor bulkhead, as it has holes for keeping the battery and esc nice and cool. I pushed the motor bulkhead former forward to bolt the motor directly to it. It led to minor difficulties upon installation and it will be a fiddle if I need to alter thrustlines, which will have to be done using washers. The "tank" platform is removable and has the esc velcro'd to the underside and the lipo uppermost . Access for lipos is through the windscreen hatch held in place with a tongue and couple of Maplins little round magnets (amazingly strong). If you want to see more construction details, go to my photos (Can that be done ?).

Disappointingly, flying opportunities have been a bit pearshaped for me over this recent period of nice weather. Culminating in a humungous fire at a plastics recycling warehouse right on the edge of our flying field. I didn't bother to try to go, but according to media descriptions, it appeared to me the area was impassable and the fire was still burning 48 hours ago a week after it started.

Anyway, I am off to Corfu, you all know where, in a few days time, for some refreshment of more than one sort, and when I get back will hope to get my A and spend as much time as possible flying my lovely aeroplanes.

Cheers for now. Alan.

Alan,
That looks nice, has to be my favourite looking WebBit I have seen to date! despite the pink. But it works.

You go enjoy yourself in Corfu, think of us poor mortals who are slaving away at work! and get plenty of flying in!

Rich

Must have missed something for the Completed Webbit thread, now corrected, however, as can be seen. Thanks for the appreciation and the good wishes for my holiday. Mind you, I think all of the other Webbits look stunning. The fly in should be fabulous.

I am just finishing off a replacement wing for a little RTF ( ??? ) I have and then I will start Webbit 52. All materials, except covering, ready to hand. Hope to get something done before I go away.

Cheers. Alan.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 22/04/2011 15:27:11:
OK, time for an updated roll call now that we are well underway:

1. David Gilder

2. Lindsay Todd

3. BEB

4. John Thompson 5

5. Tony Prince

6. Andy Green

7. Chris Bott

8. Dan Moore

9. Danny Fenton

10. Big Bandit

11. John Lee

12. Mal Brewer

13. Ron Dudson

14. Mark Rowse

15. David Davis

16. Kevin Fairgrieve

17. Alan Dorrell

18. Steve Webb

19. Ian Jones

20. Geoff Smith

21. Engineer:Atomic

22. Dave Whitehouse

23. Richard Wood

24. Andy Butler

25. GrumpyGnome

26. Lady Sarah

27. Steven Butler

28. Chris Poulton

29. Richard Harris

30. Barry Grafham

31. John Redmond

32. LOKI

33. David Wilson 8

34. Kevo

35. Simon B

36. Olly P

37. Vecchio Austriaco

38. IDD15

39. Mal Quelch

40. Andrew Bourne

41. Robert Dunn

42. Burnsmoker

43. Doug Ireland

44. MartynK

45. rActive

46. Steve Fish

47. Andy Muckley

48.Pete Collins

49. David Perkins 1

50. Martin Rowley 1

51. Whacky

52. Bill Pettit

This total matches pretty well what the guys in Webbies told me yesterday when I called in - I think they estimated 51 - but that's near enough!

If you are in the build and your name is not on the list please let me know - even if you want to go on there as "anon"!

Still not too late to get involved if you've a last minute interest! I've only just started mine and we still have 4 weeks build time left! Don't let the speedy ones put you off

BEB

From a post I made  on 11.04.2011 - 61 kits  - not 51 as above.

I can confirm that as off today's date there's 61 WebBIT kits been sold since January the 1st. I think only one kit had sold in the New Year at the start of the Mass Build, so 60 +kits by April is good going for WebBITS! Many Thanks.

BTW - I understand we have a few overseas sales, one from America and one from Spain was mentioned to me today.

* I think there's been a few more sign up since I was told that.

That would give £305 at £5 per kit, but its actually going to be quite a bit more as we are not stopping the £5 per kit until a couple of weeks after the RCME Fly In and one would hope some more WebBITs will sell and also we have amongst the kits sold already 3 Kits were donated from Belair these will count as £140 and also a few donations WebBIT specific ( £35 at this mornings check).

It would be 58 x £5 = £290 + 3 x £40 = £120 = £430

+ £35 donations - so £465 at today's date. But the figure isn't final as we haven't stopped yet'
Since posting that 61 kits had sold, more will have sold and so I guess we'll have more kits sold than sign ups.

Getting over 50 folk sign up is still very good IMO!

3 of the kits that have sold will be at a value of £40 each as Leon ( good chap) at Belair donated 3 kits for the fund raising.) So we have 58 sold that generate £5 and 3 that generate £40 - hence the math above.

TBH - since that post there will be more kits sold now.

Steve

Edited By Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 10/05/2011 20:35:56

I've tried to post with a quote, but my words cannot be seen? no idea why? so I'm posting in this post - see list above - keeps showing my edits, but not my words!

The list of WebBits - Ann at SWM can only tell  how many kits have sold. Her list is not an estimate its an accurate account of the number of kits sold since 1st January 2011, mail order or in the shop.

An example would be that my own WebBit is a sample webBit and not one of the purchased ones and yet i'm on the builders list -  If anyone on the list got theirs last year. They wont be in the total although they could be in the WebBit total of builders.

There's been more WebBits sold this week. The kits are still selling and I expect we'll sell a few more yet. Any kit that sells will raise a £5.00 donation for AR. I see G Ashby has given the build a nice mention in the RCME this month.

That might be why a few more kits have sold. I expect in the end we'll have more kits sold than actually on the Mass Build as not everyone will be Mass Building - thats my theory. So the total of kits and £5's raised will be more than the roll call. Thats my guestimate.

Steve

oops my Maths £ 40 per kit is £120 not £140 sorry... oops...  there's 3 kits at £40! each and the rest are at £5 per kit donation.

I will try and get a newer total of sales of Ann to post back a figure. It will be more than 61 now. Quite a few more at a guess.

Edited By Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 10/05/2011 20:40:06