Charity Mass Build - In Build Chat Thread

P.s I meant to post - sometime last year before the Mass Build was thought of.

I set a target figure of £1000 for charity - so that I could write 4 cheques for £250 to various Arthritic related good causes. I have mentioned this in this thread before. The cheques to Dr J Nixon( £250) at the RA dept Countess of Chester. , Dr Ewins also Countess of Chester ( £250) and Dr Davie Owestry Charles Salt Bone Reasearch (£250) and last week I sent the final £250 to Arthritis Research. So thats my £1000 reached and passed on. Eventually all thank you letters will be posted at the FRCA web space.

As the WebBit Massbuild is a National....Na... Global Event - the chairty all the £5's or other related funds raised because of the Mass Build will all be donated to Arthritis Research, they are aware of this Mass Build and I cant wait to hand them a cheque. But I'll have to as we wont stop donating from kit sales until at least 4 weeks after the RCME fly in as I wont to make sure all Mass Build related donations are sent to RA.

Thats me for tonight! Keep spreading the word! I'm sure we'll get over £500 to write a cheque with!

Excellent!

Steve

Edited By Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 10/05/2011 20:54:39

I just popped back to post - What I was trying to say is that the list of kits sold may differ from the list of those building the kits signed up to the Mass Build. I used myself as an example -I'm signed up to the build, but didn't think I purchased my kit*. Apparently I was wrong - I did ,it was taken from my hobby account - lol. Anyway by now most folk know that it takes me far too many words to explain things (a bit like magazine reviews of RTF models - oops). What I was trying to say was there will be more WebBits sold than the list as not everyone buying a WebBit is signed up. I expect the amount of WebBits sold will be quite a few more than the builders list as I'd expect more sales as the WebBits populate clubs and flyins this year. Thats why I was keen on the donations from kit sales carrying on after the RCME fly in. At least for a period that sales could have been raised by the build and publicity here.

I will ask Ann to count up the kits sold and see where we are up to re kit sales.

Steve

* My 'club' book at the shop houses my current modelling fund ( my own models). When I sell stuff of I get it paid into my credit and it sort of goes around again. Hardly the same as some model shop proprietors , if SWM is contemplating a 'show ' model generally if its under £100 we only have a few weeks of discussions. eeee its tight up North.

Edited By Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 12/05/2011 19:01:22

OK Webitteers

Just wondering how everyone is getting on.... Tomorrow is after all the "official end date for building"! (not that we will worry if you havnt finished...... or started for that matter!!!)

Please ensure you post a picture or 2 in the Completed Webbit Gallery Thread for all to see!!

Next stage will be the Greenacres Flyin!!! Dont forget your Cameras!!!!!

Dave

Hi Everyone!

Yeah, totally agree Steve, I would expect that the actual number of webbits sold would indeed be more than our "signed up" list due to;

1. some folks being a bit shy and maybe keen to "do their bit" WebBit Build wise but want to stay anonymous.

2. You will sell some WebBits over the period to folks that have never heard of the Mass Build - they just fancy building a WebBit!

3. The figure the lads in the shop gave me was literally "just of the top of their heads" they didn't actaully consult the records as you would. And fair enough it was just in chatting.

Anyway - it all very good news and I'm sure we all pronounce the Charity Mass Build 2011 a resounding sucess!

@David - Mmmm, I for one will definitely not be finished by the 15th May! But hopefully I won't be too long after! As we've said all along it really doesn't matter a jot if you're not finished bt tomorrow - its not a race. One point I would make though, if you are planning to bring your WebBit to Greenacres it must have flown before then - maidens are not allowed at fly-ins for obvious reasons. It doesn't need to have had 100's of flights but it does need to have had at least one!

BEB

BEB

Hi BEB,

I know of at least one thats building a WebBit and hasnt signed up to the build, but iscoming to the fly in. It's going to be mighty interesting. - as per your 1.

2. I'm suprised by the interest in this little model. I was speaking to Leon at Belair and we were chatting about the first kits he cut. I'd estimated we might sell 10 to 20 kits. There had always been the occasional email or letter asking if the WebBit would come back.. Having said that Mass Build has put the model back in the public eye and I've no doubt more will sell as a result.

3. WebBit figures. I've asked Ann to give us an update on whats sold. I'm expecting into the 70's myself. I might be wrong - so we'll see. If its in the 70's I think we should aim for 100! kits. The lads - yeah...Speedy - he'd tell you Millions have sold, Adrian would guess low and Dave wouldnt comit and Matt would say whats a WebBIt?. Dont tell them I wrote that!

I was listening to Speedy chatting to a customer in the show room and the chap asked how many WebBits - Speedy ' millions mate, millions'. I wish...we blame it on him being from Warrington, in local speak, millions means 'lots'. According to Speedy millions is more than a few.

Having said that Speedy's packed the kits , so maybe it feels like Millions.

David @ I'm thinking I might have to use a WebBit that was built before. A bit like Blue Peter, here's one I built earlier. Then again I might just build the Indoor WebBit i've sketched.

Going back to the conversation with Leon (at Belair) yesterday. The original idea of webBit kitting was to provide a few short kits for those wanting a WebBIt. It was known as a folley of Steve's at SWM.

BUT Because of the Mass Build and the interest in this model and 2012 being SWM's 25th year - We will be looking at bthe WebBIt design and maybe re drawing it and re kitting it for modern laser cut methods. it aint going to happen overnight and the current parts pack is suitable for most builders, but we hope to make it even easier for some.

If the result of the Mass build is a nice cheque for charity, but also a re investment in an all new kit ( and maybe other kits) the orginal idea of introducing people to building a model might actually emerge from this in several different ways!

Thanks for all your support BEB - It's been a most interesting event so far!

I also discussed with Leon - the Auto Giro parts that Rich harris has designed. Its looking highly possible we'll have a short kit for the autogyro conversion.

Have a good weekend!

Steve

Edited By Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 14/05/2011 13:21:52

The best Maverick WebBit so far I think is Rich's Autogyro WebBit and close to that is the WebBitneezer see in the gallery. I posted in the Gallery section...sorry, didnt think - purely pics in the Gallery. So I thought I'd repost the above here.

Anyone got a favourite WebBit so far, other than there own?

Steve

My favourite has to be Chris's 'V' tail WebBit and Big Bandits Micro WebBit, favourite build is Danny's day build (amazing).

Favourite colour scheme Alan's green and pink 'jobbie' but to be fair they all look great!

Just amazed at the quality of build with everyones and how instructive and helpful the threads are , makes a change to have a little fun..that's what its all about in my eyes.
Goes to show how we can learn something new from everyone.

Rich

OK peeps!!

Well there is only 4 1/4 hours left of the official build period.
Are you going to finish within this time or not!! (not that it actually matters!)

There are already a good number of completed Webbits in the Gallery HERE so check them out for inspiration !

Can I also just say a HUGE THANKS to you all for making such a small idea on Christmas Day into the FANTASTIC Event that we now have. It really does bring a lump to my throat!

I really cant wait for the Greenacres Flyin now so I can meet many of you in person, enjoy some wonderful sights of so many Webbits all sat together and then again flying along!! Who would have thought there would be so many ways to build the same model!!

I have to be honest...... I'm already looking for models / ideas for next year!!!

So come on.... Get that covering done and get your webbit in the Gallery!!

Well Done Everyone!!

Dave
Webbiteer Number 1 (The Daddy!!)

Yeap, well done all. Its been a great event. We've had a few folks trying trad building for the first time and had a lot of fun along the way. I'd like to say a great big thank you to those who lead the various aspects of the build - you did a great job guys.

If you haven't finished - or even started yet! - don't worry. I haven't finished either but will be finishing mine over the next two weeks. I'll continue post anything about my build which is bit different!

Like Dave, I'm looking forward to Greenacres and hope to meet up with loads of you there!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/05/2011 00:34:53

I've got to agree. I've assembled far more ARTF models than those I have built. That's not to say I haven't built any - fizza, hawk, vampire that sort of thing - all with sheet wings. I've repaired built up wings (of course ) but until now hadn't built one.

So this has been the first time I've made a built up wing and I realise this is a particularly straightfoward one but it has given me the confidence to think that something more tricky is not to be feared.

The shared experience has been great and I'm sure the various build threads will be valuable points of reference for many, for a long time.

There's still Greenacres to look forward to as mentioned by others and on top of that we can look forward to hearing how much has been raised for Arthristis Research in the process.

So much has been achieved and being involved in this event is something to be proud of in my view. However I think that Dave Gilder, BEB, Steve Webb & SWM, Greenacres MAC and of course RCM&E/Modelflying are all deserving of extra praise for getting their acts together and making it all work out. All jolly good eggs I'd say.

Ian

Erm, did somebody say something about next year?

To be honest Ian building any trad kit isn't that different from the WebBit - its just that's there usually more of it! The advent of laser cutting has put a lot more traditional designs within the easy grasp of the club modeller I believe.

In retrospect the WebBit was an excellent choice because it included so many aspects of building - but all on a managable scale. Fuselage assembly, built up wing, sheeting, running control runs, covering - they're all in there. Its an excellent "apprenticeship" for something a bit bigger.

So what next then Ian? A nice scale job? A Bipe maybe

BEB

A Big THANKYOU to all involved with this event. I think we'll see more WebBits sold and built yet, I have asked Ann to get me the current total of WebBits sold since January 1st 2011 and I'll post back when I have that figure.

Thanks to BEB and Dave Gilder and everyone involved and of course a big thanks to David Ashby and Brother Graham for helping with the publicity and mentions in the Mag on line and off line.

Anyway - there's the Fly In and more sales and builds yet! and its not over 'till the fat model shop owner sings.

I'm hoping that the fly in and coverage of the fly in will generate more sales and more £5 per kit for charity. After all we are nearer to 100 kits than when we started.

Regards to all

Steve

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/05/2011 00:42:23:
To be honest Ian building any trad kit isn't that different from the WebBit - its just that's there usually more of it! The advent of laser cutting has put a lot more traditional designs within the easy grasp of the club modeller I believe.

In retrospect the WebBit was an excellent choice because it included so many aspects of building - but all on a managable scale. Fuselage assembly, built up wing, sheeting, running control runs, covering - they're all in there. Its an excellent "apprenticeship" for something a bit bigger.

BEB

Completely agree, oh. it's also the first time I've used a heat gun to apply covering - fantastic result - except for the panel I blew a hole in!

Whatever I do next, it will at least be stand off scale. A trad build? Hmm, I do have something in mind - looks a bit like a Mustang only more British. Some research will be needed so it will be some time off yet.

Ian

Posted by Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 18/05/2011 14:16:04:
A Big THANKYOU to all involved with this event. I think we'll see more WebBits sold and built yet, I have asked Ann to get me the current total of WebBits sold since January 1st 2011 and I'll post back when I have that figure.

Thanks to BEB and Dave Gilder and everyone involved and of course a big thanks to David Ashby and Brother Graham for helping with the publicity and mentions in the Mag on line and off line.

Anyway - there's the Fly In and more sales and builds yet! and its not over 'till the fat model shop owner sings.

I'm hoping that the fly in and coverage of the fly in will generate more sales and more £5 per kit for charity. After all we are nearer to 100 kits than when we started.

Regards to all

Steve

I love your energy and ehthusiasm Steve - with you behind it can we possibly fail to make the magic 100 WebBits? I think not  I mean look at Plummet for an example - he's built 3, and BB has built 3 all different sizes and Roger (most amazing of all) has built 3 in one model!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/05/2011 11:03:36

Posted by Ian Jones on 20/05/2011 00:14:28:

BEB

Whatever it turns out to be next, I think it should be something along similar lines with relative simplicity, cost, good handling and looks. may be time to start coming up with idea's soon.

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted by Big Bandit on 28/05/2011 18:21:11:
Posted by Ian Jones on 20/05/2011 00:14:28:

BEB

Whatever it turns out to be next, I think it should be something along similar lines with relative simplicity, cost, good handling and looks. may be time to start coming up with idea's soon.

Cheers,

Chris.
Well Chris, for a personal project a BRITISH war bird is in the pipeline but it will be a very long pipeline. I have an good sized MB5 in mind 70-80" span I should think. Some research required first.

As far as another charity build goes - completely agree. This simple one day build has taken me about 2 months !

Ian

Has everyone finished their Webbits? I am going very slowly with mine. I've just got the power train in and working and I have just got some colour on the fin. Just got the snakes to play with and with fat fingers and shaky hands like mine it ought to be hilarious. Looking at my build I think I'm going to need a pound of church roof to get the CoG right. LOL Never mind it will be ready for Greenacres, flying or not. Cheers
Geoff

AKA Wonky Webbit Builder No: 20

You can do it Geoff

Do a little each day and soon it will be done!!

I needed 6oz in the nose but I have an extra battery in for the lights so that explains that a bit!!

I maidened mine yesterday but now the wind has gone ballistic again so dont know if it will fly again before Greenacres!!

Keep us posted!!

Dave