Charity Mass Build - In Build Chat Thread

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 31/05/2011 18:06:29:
No not all finished yet Geoff - I'm still plodding along - but then I was very late starting cos of other committments. I'm about half way through covering.

BEB

Thanks David and BEB. I am helping my Son get his market stall in Bath up and running so I'm there all day and I'm tuckered out by the time I get home. I'm afraid my Webbit ain't gonna look pretty but it still looks as if it WILL fly. I've got the film on the fin just about, I'd forgotten how to do it but it is coming back bit by bit. I was totally surprised when the power train fired up first time, most unusual. Cheers my friends.

Geoff

AKA Wonky Webbit Builder No 20

Posted by Geoff Smith 1 on 31/05/2011 17:31:10:
Has everyone finished their Webbits? I am going very slowly with mine. I've just got the power train in and working and I have just got some colour on the fin. Just got the snakes to play with and with fat fingers and shaky hands like mine it ought to be hilarious. Looking at my build I think I'm going to need a pound of church roof to get the CoG right. LOL Never mind it will be ready for Greenacres, flying or not. Cheers
Geoff

AKA Wonky Webbit Builder No: 20
Hi Geoff,

Only just finished mine. I always said I would be slow and I was still plodding along when all of sudden, yipes! I'd run out out things to do to it. (Hope it stays that way ). You'll probably find the same.

Ian
Webbiteer No. 19

Posted by Chris Bott on 31/05/2011 20:22:44:
Blimey guys on a model this size you don't want to be adding an unnecessary 6oz. Isn't there anything you can move forwards?

Chris, I agree.
Bigger battery!
Add a few more minutes to the flight time I say or even go 4s. That is of course if you have gone electric, but you could always increase the tank size. Nothing worse than having to carry around 'dead weight', but if it fly's well....who cares.

Rich

Well I'm not finished either, trying to get my A cert done(read learn from scratch), finish the webbit, just ailerons, tail and fus final bits to do, and covering.

Oh and did I mention the professional exam the wednesday before greenacres? Will be there, with a webbity thing though, booked hotel and everything!

Olly P

Hi Guys,

I have been back from Corfu a week now. It was a fabulous holiday and I got seventeen flights in during the week. Though I cannot say that I observed any noticeable improvement. I am still a novice.

I am partially disabled and have to fly sitting down, but it does teach you to ensure the plane stays in the "box" in front of you.

However, I have been chewing bricks at our British weather since returning. I am in my work room surounded by four completed models awaiting their maidens as well as three more in the store cupboard Then there is one more awaiting finishing repairs and my two thirds built Little Toot. And I really am ready to start Webbit 52, though I have lost a little motivation.

The evening before I left Corfu, I made my 100th. flight on almost the exact same date I made my first RC one three years ago. I have been to the island twice now (and already plan to go again next year) and in those two weeks made 51 flights. So, it has taken me three years to make the other 49 here in Britain. But now as I begin to feel confident, just look at the weather. I know we are promised some really warm weather by this weekend, but, locally, they also forecast 30knot winds. Oh well, back on the simulator ! We will get there one day. I hope I can have my Webbit maidened before Greenacres, even if I don't fly it.

I had better stop whingeing and get on with something.

Cheers. Alan.

• 1 month later...
Hi Guys,
I've been watching the Greenacres thread. What a fabulous day on Sunday. Knowing I was unable to join you there, I went to our Club field with my, hitherto, unflown Webbit. Not having an official instructor at the moment, The Club operates a "buddy" system for newcomers who want to learn to fly. (These are the gainfully employed guys who can only fly at weekends. I am one of the 'O/F's who use the other field during the week, weather permitting.)

Well, I took Webbit out of the car and chatted with some guys I knew and renewed a couple of aquaintanceships, but nobody suggested that it might be interesting to see if my green and pink masterpiece might fly.. I know that I am a very irregular visitor to that site, and that the other guys are posessive of their flying time, so I was prepared to return home without any flying time. But even though I have been a Club member for four years, the Club is well established (50 years old) with a large membership and I felt it did not reflect well.

However, the fuselage of Webbit 52 is well on the way now, thanks, of course to our delightful British summer climate. But the best news is that Webbit maidened yesterday. There are a couple of techies to be sorted. I had used servo tape fot the wing servos which failed and we had to lash them on with parcel tape, but Bill took off. Nicely. And flew her around for a minute or two when the motor stopped. However, Bill landed it beautifully. It was thought it might be the lipo was not charged up enough. Anyway, a gram or two of lead was added to the nose and a fresh lipo installed and Bill took off again. She flew even better but again the motor cut. However, Bill is the maestro, another beautiful landing. (I put 2" wheels on it). So, some small mods to the wing servos and some testing of the power train. But it was a joy to see it fly and, although Bill is a great pilot, to see it fly without airframe problems. It is my second scratch built model to take to the air without showing any other than expected trimming needs, so I am extremely chuffed. Unfortunately there was no one there to take flight shots but when things are sorted (soon I hope) we can get something organised, along with some progress piccies of '52'.

Cheers. Alan.

Just a quick update to let everyone know that the WebBITS are still raising £5.00 for charity with any kit sold before the end of July. Then at the end of July we'll amass the £5.00's with sone other WebBIT specific donations like the £37 I paid for the WebBIT of Dave's from Telemaster sales, plus some other bits and bobs. Over £600 easy..

Ians clothing sales money is to be added.. oooh its exciting

The idea with running the WebBITS until end of July was that it seems fair incase the Fly In caused any further sales.

Cheers

Steve

Posted by David Gilder on 10/07/2011 01:57:34:
Steve,

Just wondered if youd had any sales of Webbits since the flyin?

Curious to see if the flyin had any effect.... I know it effected me... Burnt legs.... even with factor 30 on.... Peeling like mad now!!!!

Cheers

Dave

Well you would wear those damn shorts. Cheers mate

Geoff

Hi out there,

Can anyone help ? The problem with my motor cutting, (see my last post ) would appear to be that my ESC was not, what is the word ? tuned ? in. Well I have mislaid the instruction card. The item is a CML 30a. for brushless motors. A bit of detective work found CML's phone number and a nice guy called Wes offered to scan a card and e-mail it to me. However, when the mail arrived it stated that the attachment was considered dangerous and it had been deactivated. I have e-mailed Wes to thank him and explain what happened but meanwhile Webbit is parked in the workroom awaiting the freedom of the skies.

Alan.

Alan,
I had the same problem once with one of my models, it would be fine on the ground. I could just manage a circuit and the motor would cut on me, like yourself I looked at the Lipo thinking it wasn't charged.
After a few experiments I traced the problem to my ESC not having enough cooling as I was running it close to its limit. I was able to move the ESC outside of the fuselage and this cured the problem at the field.
I then propped it down a touch, added more cooling holes and it has been fine ever since.
It may be worth checking?

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 14/07/2011 12:14:11

Hi Everyone,

The donation to AR

Sorry for my delay getting back to the forum, I've been a little under the weather and unable to type because I had some injections in my thumb knuckles

I thought I'd give a quick update and I notice Dave has asked the question. Anymore sales after the fly in?

There were a couple. Not as many as I thought there might be. Then again the press hasnt hit the mags yet, but its had a good airing on the internet.

I'm going to get in contact with Ian and get the clothing donations in the pot and get the cheque to AR sorted. I figure if there are any sales that then occur before end of July I can always send as a seperate small donation.

I'm going to get Ann to give me the sales figures and sort out all the associated donantions and get the money to AR, i'm sure every one would agree.

Steve

P.s must remember to PM Ian.

Dave and Everyone.

Just called Ann to request an update on WebBIT sales - 80 kits

Thats 77 @ £5.00 = £385.00

and There were THREE cmplete kits donated by Leon at Belair which were sold at £39.99 and donated in total.

3 @ £39.99 £119.97

£504.97

There's also Ians Clothing money and some WebBIT Specific doantions as mentioned before plus Daves ( Telemaster Sales) Wideline WebBIT which I won in auction for £37.00 - so thats to go in the pot. I expect we could get to £600 - or over. Anyone else got anything to donate or pass on to us, please can they sort it out as we are nearly ready to send the cheque to AR.

I know I keep saying thanks. BUT THANKS again everyone.

Thanks to RCME and My Hobby Store for helping make this happen.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Everyone,

At first glance clothing sales could seem at little disappointing at only 29 items and therefore £29.00 for AR.

However clothing sales amount to a proportion of roughly 20% of webbit sales (some made multiple orders, some multiple items) and in that context It's probably not that bad.

£29.00 is an odd number so I'll be getting touch with Steve to get a cheque for £30.00 to him.

Every little bit helps though and if we count in the £37.00 from the Wideline Webbit, that means we are only need £28.03 to reach £600. It's going to happen isn't it?

Well done everyone.

Ian