Chris's Webbit

The Mass build has finally come round, it's April Fool's day and here we are, dying to start.

Workshop ready in the nick of time

Allowed myself a little time to lighten the ribs further and pre make some light shear webbing, hoping this will speed the build and make sure my ribs go in square.

I'll allow myself to get some glue out at lunchtime.

Some time spent at lunchtime, progress is quick at this stage, I'm sure there will be times when it all slows down.

Found a use for all those old nicad's. Must hold it all down straight during assembly.

Thanks

I might live to regret this but I've deviated from the wing tip design and only used one piece of the balsa. All in the name of weight saving again.

Cheers both.

OK this is it for today. I've been staying away from posting this last bit 'cos you'll all think its ridiculous and talk me out of it. Now it's done it's too late. I just wanted something that I can't see many or even any other Webbits having. Didn't matter what it was, just something different.

Outboard servo mount, now what does that leave room for??

Can ya tell what it is yet?

Must be mad! Probably pointless, but there you are - Flaps!

Shhh, don't tell the boss! I did vaguely stick to working hours. Lunchtime may have been extended a little either way...

Pete the holes were done with Gaskin softbore cutters like these at Avicraft. Other places do them too. If you buy any, make sure you talk to the seller about what sizes you want. I thought it was just a set. But the price was for any 4. My seller just chose me 4 sizes at random because I didn't specify.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/04/2011 23:13:11:
Nice flaps - but I'd convert them to spoilers if I were you Chris - this one is going to be so light you'll need them to get it down!

BEB

The wing will just have to go on upside down if that's the case!

Looks good.

I like the flaps, I have put them on all my Multiplex models, some people don't use them, but to me they make a huge difference.

How much do all the discs cut out of the ribs and webs weigh?

My completed wing, covered, with servos and extension leads, pitot tube and tubing weighs 335g, unlightened, in fact with a fair bit of extra wood.

Steve I'm finding it almost impossible to weigh the disks on my scales. The most consistent reading I can get is around about 10g which I'm a bit disappointed with to be honest. But then my servos are 9g servos so I've saved more than the weight of a servo..

At the moment the wing weighs 189g. That's with 3 servos and the torque rods installed. No ailerons, pushrods or covering.

Got up with a bad back too, so this might slow right down today, well see.

Martin my secret for the quick building is just Pink Zap.
Wonderful stuff except for it's tendency to get everywhere. Assemble two balsa parts dry, apply the tiniest drop of zap to the join and it wicks in and dries instantly. I use the nozzle with the capillary tube attached to reduce the drop size and to get in tight spaces.
Just don't have you're fingers because fingers and pink zap have some sort of mutual attraction.

Who has spotted the deliberate mistake and been too polite to mention it?

(well not so deliberate but noticed the instant the glue was dry)

Chancing a guess, the starboard aileron servo is upright in the first photo (when it should be inverted) but the later ones show the hardwood bearers correctly fitted to the servo support. I suspect the visible bearers are a later addition....

You could have got away with it by stating the the servo was temporarily placed for illustrative purposes............

Pete