Chris's Webbit

That's OK Andy, it only makes it a bit easier. This way you can make the wires "flat" i.e. so they will sit flat on the bench lie my photo. With vertical holes you could still bend the legs forward too.

Posted by Chris Bott on 07/04/2011 22:27:42:
Hi Ian

It's 2.5mm piano wire. Well that's how its marked these days at the model shop. Not sure what that is in old money. As I said though, don't blame me if its not enough.

Thanks for that. I would not worry, if it is not man enough it is very easily modified.

Cheers
Ian

Posted by Chris Bott on 07/04/2011 21:47:34:
Just had a quick assemble. Still under 2 lbs, but not by much now. And still a tad nose heavy. But that's without any tail or fus covering.

I'm puzzled about the big weight difference, I have bigger wheels, so say maybe 1/2oz, no lightening holes less than 1/2oz on the wings, and I have maybe 1/2 oz of extra hardwood for my wing mounting and bracing on the fuselage, and my cowling weighs about 3/4oz .

I also wonder about the CoG, my motor is further forward, and my servos are in front of the main spar, while yours at near the back of the wing.

Because of the CoG, it looks to me as if most of my extra weight (in comparison) is in the rear of the fuselage and the tail.

Posted by Chris Bott on 08/04/2011 15:56:27:
What's your weight again Steve? You have me questioning my scales now.

Let me look back and see, I have been thinking the same about my scales

OK, this was my weight:-

"Total weight of the plane without motor, prop, ESC and battery is 30.3oz, and the motor, prop, ESC and battery adds another 13.4oz, total of 43.7oz. Heavier than I had imagined, but still a fairly light wing loading"

I'm now going to hang a bag of sugar on my scales, and see if they are way/weigh off the mark!

Edit

If I switch the scales to metric, it reads exactly 2kg with a 2kg bag of sugar, if I add 4 X 20p coins, it reads 2.02 kg, so it should give a rough idea, it doesn't solve the mystery.

Somewhere I posted the weight of the kit as it came

Edited By Steve W-O on 08/04/2011 16:14:34

Not sure if it can be made out on here, but I zero'd 2 sets of scales and weighed everything on both of 'em together,

Just under 2lb's Then I weighed a 500g bag of cake mix. It read 510g..

Posted by Chris Bott on 08/04/2011 16:31:59:
Not sure if it can be made out on here, but I zero'd 2 sets of scales and weighed everything on both of 'em together,

Just under 2lb's Then I weighed a 500g bag of cake mix. It read 510g..

OK, I guess we can start baking

But the mystery deepens, I didn't try to build light, but I don't see where the big difference comes in.

I want to try and find my post where I gave the kit weight.

I'm not over concerned by the weight, it still has a fairly light wing loading, but I would like to know why the big difference for future reference.

Yes it's interesting. I have balsa sides, only one piece of balsa at the wingtips and built up Vtail. Installed are 5x9g servos, a 2200mAh LiPo, a 33A esc and the motor.
It's been mostly assembled with the smallest drops of pink zap possible.
Still needs all fus and tail covering..
I will probably add a battery tray yet, but that can't add much.

Posted by Chris Bott on 08/04/2011 17:14:33:
Yes it's interesting. I have balsa sides, only one piece of balsa at the wingtips and built up Vtail. Installed are 5x9g servos, a 2200mAh LiPo, a 33A esc and the motor.
It's been mostly assembled with the smallest drops of pink zap possible.
Still needs all fus and tail covering..
I will probably add a battery tray yet, but that can't add much.

I wonder what the actual difference is between the ply and balsa sides?

I used metal gear servos, but only 4 not 5, so that gives me 3g extra!

The total weight of glue out of the bottle could not have been more than 1oz, as it was half empty when I started, and a bit of PVA for the sides.

My undercarriage will be a bit more.

My cowling is extra to the basic plane

I put 1/32 ply on part of six ribs (two in the centre for the wing mounting, and two each side for the servo mounts.

I wonder if all these bits added up, plus your covering, which could be nearly 1 oz., will eventually add up to the difference

Posted by Chris Bott on 08/04/2011 17:47:15:
My bag of holes is now up to 20g doesn't sound much but that's more than two of my servos.

Seriously I think you are right, just the odd thing here and there.

I think another point is being overlooked, we are comparing what is probably one one the lightest with what is probably one of the heaviest, and if you took how much lighter yours is than the average, or how much heavier mine is than the average, the difference makes more sense.

Thoughts like that come when playing with the baby

Just a thought chris

With regard to it weiging more than you thought it should:

You have added to the basic plan also with the webbs between the upper and lower spar inside the wings! Although (as with the rest of this Holed Masterpiece!), you have cut lightening holes in them, this will have addeed to the weight of the model!!

I have to be honest.. I have not yet weighed mine but I expect it to be slightly heavy as it has lights on it, extra batteries onboard to power the lights, and switches to turn them on and off!!

I will have to weigh mine soon and see what it shows!!

Dave

Fus is covered all blue now.
Why oh why did I choose translucent when there's a fuselage with inside curves?

Theres still the hatch to cover and then any coloured trim I decide to do.

Oh well, 'tis done now. Not worth a photo tonight and I'm too tired to think about gluing on the Vtail section dead level and then setting connections to the servos.

There's every chance it will fly this weekend though. I'm pleased with that in a week