Chris's Webbit

Yes, the software updates are excellent. I've just run through my conventional-tailed models with flap programming and I don't get any sort of blip showing up so it may be specific to the tail type part of the programming.

Pete

OK great. Did you try any with a good amount of trim dialed in?

I have another issue for them but I need to have a good check that I have it right in my head before I write anything.

This model seems to respond more to down elevator than up. Which is no great issue, except when using rudder inputs, the nose goes down too much for my liking.
So I tried to think of a way for rudder to add more movement on the up going elevator than the down going one.
I found I can do a mix from rudder to either elevator individually. But I gave up because it actually moved both elevators the same. Must try again and see if it does.

Tried it again with and without trim. Without trim, the elevator moves smoothly to the next setting. Introducing up or down trim, the elevator momentarily 'over-throws' itself, perhaps up to 10 or 15%, before returning to the set value, i.e:

Ele set to -20% (lots of down trim); move to flap pos 1, ele moves to -40% before returning to correct setting of -29%.

Switching from flap position 1 (-29%) to position 2, the ele momentarily moves to -49% before settling at -40%.

So indeed there is an effect with normal tails.

This only occurs in a fraction of a second and I haven't noticed any effect in flight but I do have my controls set rather softly. The 'V' tail is probably a good deal more sensitive, perhaps?

Pete

The pics look super. I hope you get the V webBit tail sorted as it really does look good.

The lightening holes look amazing on the finished model . That should be something that could be done at the kitting stage. Did you find any weakness in any of the areas you put holes? I cant see why you would? just wondered if you did?

Steve

Thanks Steve. I'm slowly getting it there, but there has just been no testing weather.

If I started again with the V tail I'd try it bigger and possibly with a steeper angle to get some of it out of the air shadow of the wing.

I did find some weakness due to the holes, this was because I used balsa sides and put too many too large holes at the rear of the fus. But that was the only place, everywhere else is fine.

• 2 weeks later...
It's been so long that I had pretty much forgotten all the little changes I'd made and needed to test. This evening I got out for an hour and am pleased to report the Veebit is pretty much sorted.
Whatever I did, such as Vtail differential, must have helped as its flying much more predictably now.
Tonight I also added a couple of coffee stirrers under the wing trailing edge. It needed a re trim but this seemed to reduce the ballooning nose up under full power. I may still go further with this one.

I think she'll go into moth balls now until the funfly. That way she shouldn't get broken. Well not beforehand anyway .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I flew mine last night with the C/G a good 12mm behind the spar. It sat a bit tail down and needed lots of rudder to pick up the tail when baked for turns, but at no point did it feel dangerous or difficult to fly.

The reason, was use of a new lighter battery. I will make up the weight and get the C/G back to the spar though. Apart from that all ready for the Fly In. Will keep it safe until then.

Today, I thought I'd try my 4S A123 pack in the Webbit. Same voltage but much heavier than a 3S LiPo. With the repairs and adding the lights, weight has kept creeping up, but I was still surprised that this battery took it to 2lb10oz!

At 2lb10 and with the C/G on the very front edge of the spar it's a different animal. Still hangs it's tail in turns a bit, more in LH than RH turns. But I've had to remove the wing packing, so the incidences are standard again. Flies a fair bit faster, it's not floaty any more, but is MUCH more predictable.

Half flaps give me more lift, full flaps lots of drag, just like I wanted.

Oddly the roll rate is much higher. I guess my ailerons are outside the prop wash, so that just shows how much faster its flying.

Happy to use full power now too, gets quite a speed on in level passes.

Much happier Webbiteer.