The Webbit 'TWIST' the 3 in 1 model

All tail feathers have been covered and it was then on the fuselage. Whilst rubbing down this it occurred to me that I may have to play around with down thrust at the field. Because I have cowled up my motor it may be a little difficult to do this even though the top half is removable.
I eyed the front end up and thought I would try shrinking a 2 litre pop bottle over the front, to my surprise it worked out pretty good.
So I thought I would pass this on to any one else who would like to make a simple cowl.
Ok..its not 'perfect' but it does come with a best before date on it! who will know when its flying
I can cut off what I don't need from the front of the fuz and hopefully will give me a bit more cooling around this area.

If you do try this just be careful and wear some gloves, I used an electric paint stripper gun and just played it around the bottle.

A few photos

Rich

What an amazing thread. I couldnt resist posting something!

Rich - Your enthusiam for the hobby is sure to 'rub off' on many - I expect we'll see a few webBIT 'Twists' come out of this.

Liquid Wings - Not stocked at my LMS but having seen Rich's use off it I'd like to try some. I had thought it might be like the gumption RC Model World ( Poly C) sell ?

I got hold of some of that. I'm hoping that doesnt have a shelf lfe as I purchased 4 bottles and I didnt realise they were in a huge size bottle! Liquid Wings does seem different.

The other stuff I thought it was like was Deluxe's new laminating resin ( but thats one part also) . The Deluxe and RC Model world stuff is similar to Acrylic varnish that I've tried.

Deluxe Materials are available from any Ripmax Stockist and I think the RC Model World Stuff is from RC Model World direct. Sorry I dont have a link handy for RC Model World Poly C. The new Deluxe materials laminating resin can be seen on the Ripmax site.

Liquid Wings - Mikes Models at Birmingham stock it and they do mail order. I know as I found them on a google search when I was thinking of trying some.

I first heard of it when Rich used it on his Micro Autogyro. I'm presuming that Liquid Wings might be fuel proof or fuel resistant if its a two part? But if its a two part is it also toxic and part of the epoxy family?

Excellent effort Rich. A convertable WebBIT - anyone done a flaot plane yet?

Steve

Hi Rich

Your build is looking good.
I have too many project unfinished to start another. Just done a bit more to my blades, couldn't sleep, lol

Steve don't give Rich any other ideas, an autogyro with floats! What's next? LOL

Looking forward to the videos mate.

Regards
Andy

Covering is all but done, black is trimmed in toughlon, orange in solar trim...would I do flames again?.NO WAY!!!
Need to install all of the electrics and hopefully I will maiden the 'fixed wing' version this Sunday. I will let you know how it goes.I have also made a basic drawing of the 'Twist ' contra rotating stub winged version and got it printed out down at Stables earlier. I should be able to build from this.

A few photos
Rich

I remember seeing a link for some RCM&E stickers but cannot locate it? can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Posted by Richard Harris on 01/04/2011 23:21:17:
So here is the plan and I am aware that this is not most people 'cup of tea'

Something I have always wanted to try is a convertable fixed wing model. In that you can fly it as a fixed wing land,remove the wing and add on a rotor system and fly it as an an autogyro. Maybe even 2 types? one with a DB type short stub wing with counter rotating rotors on each tip and the other as a DC (direct control) head with a single 3 bladed rotor sat on top.
Tomorrow I will make a start on the 'fixed wing' airframe, try and get this complete and flown in a couple of weeks.
If this goes to plan I can then calculate the rotor size needed and the position of of the mast etc
I will try and figure how to add photos when I have some!

Hello Rich,

I actually did something similar, back a couple years ago with the MIA Roto-Trike (TM).
Ever since I started designinng models more than 30 years ago, my goal and logic has been that many models can be converted. No reason why we can not switch one lifting surface for another. A rotary wing is nothing more than a lifting surface. This is nothing new, as some autogyros have been converted from standard airplanes, we have seen this often done, in the RC modeling arena, with many people simply placing a pylon with the rotor and own control servos mounted to them for ease of switching one to the other. In my case, what I did with the MIA Rotor-Trike (TM) and if you want to add a 3rd (Wing) which it is quite capable of, was I wanted to reuse the same control features without having to go redundant on the serovs and control links. So in essence, on the MIA Roto-Trike (TM), all I have to do is swap the rotor for the wing and presto! no need to even recalibrate, I can also add a regular airplane wing. This is the gist of this setup, but I did not get it on the first try, I had to tweak the design to get it right, not so much with the flight characteristics, but with the ease of setup, using the same control and servos,  as I feel there is no need to go through individual setups for each type of wing, if the model is designed with this in mind.

Anyway, I also like to think that muh of the stuff I design is not everyone's cup of tea, but interestingly, it appears that it is, at least with a good percentage of my viewers, some that give me a thumbs up and a few that give me a thumbs down even when I think my videos don't deserve it. .  I mean I came accross this thread by doing a search on 3 in 1 models and here I find you are also going this route.

Anyway, I wish you success and I am sure you and others will have a lot of fun with your project.

Mario. MIA Micro-FLIGHT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ratvDV2nCQ

Edited By Mario Arguello on 16/04/2011 21:28:55

P.S. I inadvertently hit the Report flag and I guess I reported my own thread . I was actually trying to edit for typos. I found the edit button.

Edited By Mario Arguello on 16/04/2011 21:33:52

Couldn't resist the the virtually zero wind conditions this evening so got the car packed up with the WebBit and a freshly charged Lipo and went up the field.

Maiden went fine but I did require a couple of clicks of aileron trim, click of down trim and 3 clicks of left rudder!..must be my building.

I cannot remember the last time aI flew a fixed wing model like this but it has to be at least 3 years ago!..so I was very very rusty.
But I did enjoy the way it flew, I have as much aileron throw as I can get but it is very sedate, if I were to do it again I would increase the size of the ailerons.
I have more than enough power with my set up, 2 flights were made at a guess about 5 mins each on the same charge.
The stall is no problem as it just starts nodding its nose, but way before that you can feel the ailerons becoming less and less responsive giving you an indication you are getting close.
So that is 'Part 1' done, luckily I am the right shift next week to get more done to the gyro version, will post some more when I get some done.

A few photos and a video I made of the second flight , I hope you enjoy

Edited By Richard Harris on 16/04/2011 22:24:50

Couldn't resist the virtually zero wind conditions this evening so got the car packed up with the WebBit and a freshly charged Lipo and went up the field.

Don't Blame you! - SW

Maiden went fine but I did require a couple of clicks of aileron trim, click of down trim and 3 clicks of left rudder!..must be my building.

I cannot remember the last time aI flew a fixed wing model like this but it has to be at least 3 years ago!..so I was very very rusty.

But I did enjoy the way it flew, I have as much aileron throw as I can get but it is very sedate, if I were to do it again I would increase the size of the ailerons.

You didn't look too rusty too me, if that was me I'd say spare me the 3 in 1 - I want to get rusty!

http://youtu.be/NLiKXOcD_4Y

I just saw it on you tube as I have your channel on my subscribed list. In fact anyone reading this tune into Rich's channel, it's addictive and sooner or later he makes you NEED an autogiro. The enthusiasm is infectious

Good point about the ailerons. Thats an accurate observation i'd say as when the WebBIT was first out expo and rates and travel adjust were not so in vogue - like today. Larger ailerons for those wishing to 3D could be a worthwhile modification. Having said that Paul Heckles used to fly as 'is' , but I expect he'd want twice the size ailerons now a days.
-SW

I have more than enough power with my set up, 2 flights were made at a guess about 5 mins each on the same charge.

The stall is no problem as it just starts nodding its nose, but way before that you can feel the ailerons becoming less and less responsive giving you an indication you are getting close.

So that is ''Part 1'' done, luckily I am the right shift next week to get more done to the gyro version, will post some more when I get some done.

A few photos and a video I made of the second flight , I hope you enjoy

Excellent Rich, It really is. I think the CoG must be spot on as the spin was a spin and not a spiral dive. Did you have to throw in some aileron to make her tuck into the spin or was it rudder/elevator only. It looked like a nice tight spin. It also recovered on release of the sticks? or did you boot in some opposite?

Cant wait for part 2 - see I told you infectious with enthusiasm! Thanks for the kind mention at the end of the video. Thanks.

Steve

PS

Edited By Steven Webb (Steve Webb Mod

Thanks Danny..it is a good model, but I don't think I could build one in a day!..that was fantastic! I would have jumped on it after a couple of hours if things went bad.

Steve,
The spin recovery was not instant, may be a turn and a half after releasing the sticks with neutral sticks. I wasn't expecting the first time that's why I was flying away from myself. The CG is a shade rearward of that shown on the plan, maybe the reason it spins ok?

Not sure about the liquid wings shelf life, 6 months rings a bell. I did mix some maybe 4 weeks ago. It was kept in a glass jar sealed air tight, I opened it last week and to my surprise it hadn't gone off! it was a little thicker than when it was 'fresh' but it went on fine and dried the same.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thats making sense. When the CoG is forward or on the actual CoG level - she's not too easy to spin. She will spin with the CoG spot on, but often aileron is used to cheat the entry. You entry looked quick and the spins tight.

With slightly rearward C o G - It would make total sense it didnt come straight out. If you have it slighly rearward and enough rudder and elevator movement Paul could get it to flat spin. Thats something that doesnt always end in a recovery for some models! Still when they flat spin in, they dont do that much damage (usually). I didnt realise it had gone 1 1/2 spins coming out. Down elevator , power up and opposite rudder and she will even come out of a flat spin ( something I have only ever got a WebBIT to do once and then it turned into a Spin/Landing combination!). Your spin looked controlled!

Nice flying Rich.

Liquid Wings - Thanks for that info.

i'm 'bed web' now

Have a good weekend

Steve

I wouldn't say it was controlled!!..but fun all the same.

Having a get together tomorrow with a few uk gyro fliers, I will take the WebBit along and try and get a better video.

Must get to bed myself!

Rich