The Webbit 'TWIST' the 3 in 1 model

Posted by David Gilder on 24/04/2011 13:58:58:
Looking FANTASTIC Rich

I am sat in work eagerly awaiting a flight review!! Any chance aof a vid to go with it!??

Cant wait to see this one down at Greenacres!! I trust you are coming!!??

Dave (Webbiteer No 1)

Work on Easter Sunday!!..ouch. I'm in at 6am tomorrow pays the ever increasing bills I guess.

I am hoping to come to Greenacres as its only up the road from me, well within 20 miles or so.
I have not got as much down thrust as I would like to have , with the wind speed as it is at the moment I can see it ballooning up after take off.
I will certainly take the video camera up and catch what ever happens on the screen.
The blades have plenty of lift as I have been up and down the road this morning (always get a few strange looks from the neighbours when I do this?)
But I think I have made them a touch long as when I pull the rotor disc back it fouls the fin.
Its got 2 chances, just enough time to knock up another fuselage in case of damage.

Rich

Chris,
You were bang on with your weather predictions mate , after having a few flights with the fixed wing WebBit the wind eased and the sun came out.

Dave,
Thats a good plan regarding the blades being shortened, I may just try it but as it happened I needed very little rearward tilt at all in flight. Maybe because I have coupled up the elevator?

Anyway,
Took me a while to pluck up the courage to try the 'twist' version, I added ballast weight (aka another LIPO). I added left trim as I am using a pretty flexible GF blade mount, the reason for this is that if you get what they call a cone on the blades this can cause a right roll.
A lot of people first think that cone on the rotor disc can create stabiltiy, likening it to dihederal on a fixed wing aircraft. Cone angle just gives you roll/aileron issues and this has to be trimmed out. The more cone you have the more trim that is need on the side of the retreating blade.
I took a long slow take off on the first attempt, it rolled to the left when it lifted offso right trim was added (infact back to the fixed wing settings). The roll was really sensitive so I landed and set my dual rates to 50%. Next flight it flew like it were on rails and I really enjoyed it.
The last flight I removed the ballast weight and to my surprise it made very little difference except it 'felt' a little lighter.

Here are a few photos, I had a video taken of the second flight and will upload that later on tonight. Unfortunatly I will have to add music as the camera that is used makes a nasty noise which I think is the mechanical auto focus.

I am really chuffed!!!

Rich

Dave,

Mr Webb has kindly donated me a set of ribs, this is something I have never tried before so I have left it until last
Every other one I have seen with this type of wing with rotors on have a clarke Y flat bottom aerofoil section. May get away with it being a fat section and possibly altering the wing incidence, I will start constructing it tomorrow after work

Rich

Hi Rich

Looks good well done, love the video.

I see you have used the standard DC head control rather than elevon mixing with two servos.
Whats the reason mate?

Phase 3; the plan with a small stub wing, and two tip rotors next.
Hope to see some pictures soon.

Regards Andy

Thanks chaps I did enjoy the first few flights, for the life of me I cannot understand why more people haven't had a bash at an autogyro.

VA,
Yes there are 2 servos fitted into the mast, the pitch (backwards and forwards) is plugged into a Y lead connected to the elevator. And the roll (side to side) is plugged in to one of the aileron extensions when the wing has been removed. I will try and take a photo later.

Andy,
There are 2 reasons why I didn't opt for the stronger 'load share type head'. The first is the WebBit fuselage is too narrow and even if they were butted up together the servo arms would have had to be cut really short for clearance.
The second, as you know the LS needs an elevon mix for it to function. The whole idea was to make 3 models in one with hopefully no trim changes. If I had gone with the Load share head I would have had to add mix which would mean selecting another model memory on my transmitter. I want to stick 'as one' so to speak.

As for plans of this I can draw some up when I get chance, but I would obviously have to ask Steve Webb models if this is ok. Better still if there was enough interest I could ask SWM to maybe make up a short kit for the mast etc, if it gets a few more pennies into the charity fund then I would be prepared to do the donkey work.
For the time being I am going to fly the rotors/ wings off this model and make a start on the contra rotating stub winged jobbie.

Rich

Rich,

Excellent vid

Sorry I didnt get chance to see this and the video sooner. I cant get it to play on the I phone ( no adobe player on the iphones). I've got to a PC - Excellent. The WebBit Twist goes ever so well!! Congradulations on the model being a success.

If there's enought interest there's a good chance we could get a Laser Cut parts pack ( an option for the standard WebBit kit).

For the moment though, I'd just like to say well done and if there's a vote for the best Maverick WebBit - This is my favourite as it takes an original WebBit and keeps an original WebBit while adding options. I sounded out my yound son and his cousin and they find this 'three in one' concept interesting. I expect when I was younger I'd have been just the same ( in fact the wife says I still am!)

Numero Uno - Maverick WebBit!!

Steve ( enthusiastic) Webb!

I will see what I can draw up chaps, but for the moment I want to carry on with the next version. Don't want to get diverted

If you interested this is how I make my blades, I use the same method on all of the blades I have made. I use a belt sanded but a razor plane would be fine.

See why I have to add music to the flight videos? horrible noise

Rich

Been tied up at work and have only managed to make a start today on the stub wing.

But I have taken a closer photo of the servo set up on the 'Twist I' version.

Should get most of the stub wing completed tomorrow so shall post pictures then.