Grumpy Bill's WebBit States Side

There are those that know a lot more about electrikery than me Bill, and I'm sure someone will be along soon to give some definitive advice, but I think you are between two stools here. I think the 2826 is too big and the 2208 too small!

For reasonable performance you should be looking at motor capable of handling about 30A this would typically be 2215 or so (the numbers don't really relate to power they are linked to the physical size of the stator etc. So they are indirectly related to power but not directly)

For more exciting performance look at something handling more like 40A (typically 2814 ish).

BEB

Bill,

You need to know what current the motor is drawing using the battery and prop you intend to use in the model. I think 300 watts (about 27 Amps on a 3s lipo)
is a good starting point such as this one.

This is a 1000Kv motor, it's the one I use, so I know it will fly the model on a 9x6 prop.

Or if your after a motor / ESC combo, you could try this one, but at 14000Kv you would need to use a smaller prop to keep the current within limits.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 30/04/2011 10:28:34

Hi Bill,

Interesting using video for the for the progress of the build, great idea, the models looking good as well. As you say it's pretty basic but a good solid traditional build, a good steppingstone for a returning modeller or someone just starting out.

Keep up the good work,

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Bill,

great video. I enjoyed that.

Yeah as you say a basic build, one of our objectives (as well as raising a little money for a good cause and having some fun along the way!) was to provide a "supported" build experience for modellers who may never have built a traditional kit before. I must say that I think that aspect is working out better than we could have hoped! With excellent lead build blogs, Danny's webcam build and subsequent time lapse video and lots of other great contributions I think this really supports new builders well and I hpe lots of them are taking full advantage!

Also it may even be a really good resource for the future. Everything is together in the WebBit area of the forum, so if in 12 months someone gets the urge to build something for the first time then there is a top class "off the shelf" tutorial set for them to follow right here!

BEB

The mailman delivered my spanking new motor ESC and prop combo today so I had to see if they would fit. Looks good to me does anyone see any problems? Things are hinged up and push rod tubing installed, I found a landing gear in the bone yard. I thing I will beef up the mounting area just a little. Coming along.

Edited By BILL PETTIT on 05/05/2011 20:30:00

Chris: I noticed you left your motor compartment open on top and closed the bottom with a removable nose plate. I made the nose plate the same( removable ) but I think I will only close the front BOTTOM section maybe about 1 inch from the front nose plate for support and also have access to the motor stand offs through the bottom, do you think this will hinder the air flow any? A picture shortly!!

Regards Bill

Then sheet the rest from the motor fire wall back.

BEB Yea we have mole  tunnels that pop up from time to time.

Edited By BILL PETTIT on 05/05/2011 22:47:41

Edited By BILL PETTIT on 05/05/2011 23:01:02

Hi Bill,

Can't see any problems with it, on mine I closed the bottom front in fully but it does make it tricky to get the lower stand off nuts up tight even with a removable front plate and long nut runners. Looking good , you'll soon be ready to cover up all of that good work .

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Bill, nice workmanship on your model. You are to be congratulated. For various reasons I was unable to take up the Webbit challenge, but I will be supporting the Athritis Research in other ways . A few of my family suffer from this complaint, and people are unaware of the pain and suffering caused to all ages. Cheers Bill, keep up the good work. FB3

Edited By fly boy3 on 13/05/2011 18:26:26

Nice work Bill.

Please make sure that you position the Union Flag with the broad diagonal white stripe in the top left hand corner. The Union Flag is not symmetrical and if it's flown upside down, with a narrow white stripe in the top left-hand corner, it's a sign of distress!