Grumpy Bill's WebBit States Side

Yea Doug:
I did one build where I glued all the parts together then tried to cover it, NOT AN EASY TASK!!. Never did that again.
Well after installing all the servoes pushrods and tailwheel and all the nose weight to balance it out the total all up weight of my WEBbit was real close to 3lb.s. I build them heavy,
Maiden tomorrow if the weather holds.

Bill

A very nice day today so we went for it and I am pleased to say I had a successful maiden. I need to do some tweaking on somethings C/G is the big factor and wing incidence is another. Radio adjustments adding expo and end point adjustment helped and I had fun with it,sorry no video had my hands full so after a long wait all went well.

Bill,
Congratulations,
For someone who has not long had an major op, cellar has flooded etc and in between you have built a very nice WebBit and flown it....I take my hat off to you sir!!

That is DEDICATION my friend!!!

Your friend this side of the pond

Rich

PS Now that it has flown you can fly it at the RCM&E Fly-in!!!

Chris: Very strong power train, unlimited vertical I think I will try to extend the motor more forward to aid in C/G. and maybe a bigger prop with a heavy prop nut.

Rich I wish I could be there for the RCM&E Fly-in. What is the date for that so I can do a long distance honorary flight.
Thanks to all that posted while I was building kinda keeps you going and motivated to finish on time.

Bill

Edited By BILL PETTIT on 29/05/2011 02:45:07

Hi Bill,

glad to hear it went well.

Greenacres fly-in is 25th -26th June - we know you'll be there "in spirit" and we'll raise a glass to your WebBit under "absent friends"!

Its certainly not WebBit maidening weather over here - we've had high winds for 4 weeks now - the whole of May has been wash out. Still the slope soaring guys like it!

BEB

A question ??? I have flown the Webbit only 3 times once in the air I have good control and flight characteristics are predictable, My problem is take offs It is a very long and fast roll before she takes to the air and at that point it is very abrupt and steep and I have to be right on top of the sticks to recover from a stall. Any ideas about this?

Thanks guys Bill

Bill,
Are you using enough rubber bands to secure the wing on? I was thinking maybe the wing was lifting off the seat at the LE?
Mine is pretty fast on the ground due to its size, but if the tail is lifting as it picks up speed it should just ROG OK. Do you have a video of it doing it?

Rich

Rich
I use about 8 good rubber bands and also I have added a wing centering pin,with both I have a good tight fit.

Tim
I did put in some expo 30%in, I may need more, the weight in the tail may have something to do with it I have added a lot of nose weight to get it to balance out may need even more but don't have any space left. Do they make heavy prop hub/ nuts for these motors?

I cut in some vents in the underside of the fuselage just aft of the wing mount to help in cooling.

Weather not good today to do a video but will try soon,(weather permitting),Don't know about you guys but it is the start of pollen season over here I have a huge poplar tree that turns my yard white and an inch deep with little fuzzies for the lack of a better term and they float in the air for ever, UP YOUR NOSE in your eyes you get the picture.
Keep in touch Bill

Hi Bill,
Nice flight, looks to me like you need some nose weight in for sure as it was certainly pitch sensitive.
The second time you took off it seemed as though there was some sort of of rudder trim added as it looked to be yawing. When you had landed it looked to me as if you tried to straighten out the rudder? perhaps you need the 'original' rudder trim?
You also mentioned that right turn was not as effective as left? maybe worth while adding a touch of right thrust to the motor?
I don't no whether it will work or not but remember how we hang the gyros to set the thrust line up, could this be done to see if the prop torque is swinging it round? This way we could set up the right thrust before ever leaving the ground.
Enjoyed that!

Rich