Please Check Instructions RE Front Sheeting

WebBit amendment.

Re:  front wing sheeting is 2 5/8 and not 2 1/4

Very early on regarding the WebBit’s recent re introduction as a laser cut short kit we were made aware of a couple of errors in the instructions. 

The amended instructions advise 2 5/8 and to measure and check before cutting the sheet. The original 2 ¼ is incorrect.

So why has this error resurfaced in recent kits?

Recently the older template of the instructions has been copied and a few kits have escaped with the wrong 'older' instructions. To our knowledge it is probably not many that have escaped. Sorry once again for this most recent issue, it's been caused by a chaotic office and keeping the older instructions template for reference.

My Apologies,Steve and the SWM team.

Edited By Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 23/04/2011 17:07:50

Edited By Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 23/04/2011 17:12:17

Posted by Richard Harris on 23/04/2011 22:44:14:
Who reads instructions when you have a plan
Some idiot always does!

In my job I had to write instruction manuals, HOWTOs and things. It is not at all easy. What is necessary for some folk is insultingly simple for others. And of course, when the folk are trying to do whatever it is, they would ignore the written word and come and pester me anyway.

The standard response that I was tempted to give (but rarely did, honest) was RTFM.

Read The F........ Manual.

Where F......... is, of course, Fine.

So when someone has written a manual I do like to try to use it a bit.

Plummet

Edited By Plummet on 24/04/2011 09:41:25

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the kind words guys.

This error was pointed out after the 1st 10 trial kits had been sold and were being built. There were spelling mistakes and other errors that were corrected. The old instructions were deleted on the computer and so only the new instructions would be printed. On a day when no one was available to show the packer where the instructions were on the Mac, he did his best to keep the kits going out and took a set of instructions ( old ones kept for reference), photo copied them and hence the re occurence of the 'error'. Sods Law at play once again!

I must admit the original error occured as is a trial build of the kit the builder just marked the sheet from the model and plan, and recorded an inccorect measurement from WebBit instructions that were 20 years old! Thats how long this error has 'haunted' the WebBit!.

Apoligies to anyone that was caught by this NOT deliberate mistake. Hopefully thats one that will never appear again!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Doug Ireland on 15/05/2011 07:30:50:
Posted by Vecchio Austriaco on 23/04/2011 20:34:46:
Was not a problem as I took the measurement from the wing structure. Cheers VA

Yep, I did the same.

So did I, for my first two Webbits. So why did I read the instructions for the third?

No, I don't know either.

Plummet

Plummet - Thats because you knew the instructions had been corrected, but in actually fact due to events beyond our control, we copied the wrong instruction template. It was a series of unfortunate events, that ended with your unfortunate event.

We need to slow down and not rush as much! Of course the Mass Build has created a larger demand for WebBits than we ever thought would happen. I really did think if we did 20 kits a year it would have been O.K, the return of the kit was a folley of mine. Suddenly it all got very serious!

Thanks for all your input. By the time you get you get your 4th WebBit we'll have it corrected!

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
I used the measurement, and due to being a busy as a busy thing atm didn't notice until shaped and cyano'd. There is a nice parrallel gap along the back of the sheeting to the spar. I'm going to infil with some strip 1/16 I've got spare.sand smooth, will be invisible.

Olly