Dawn Flyer

Few more pics and a bit more progress

dscn3307.jpg

Cross diagonal bracing added to rear fuselage and then stained with a dark brown varnish, to be honest I thought it would be a bit lighter than the mahogany like finish it produced.

dscn3304.jpg

Tail skid made up from hardwood and 1/8 ply with wire rod and spring.

dscn3300.jpg

dscn3303.jpg

Cockpit finished and blended into the wing, front dowel location and rear wing bolt inside cockpit done. Also took the chance to mount the motor, a 275watt 900kv item that will be driven through a 40amp esc and 3cell 2200mah lipo, its a bit overkill I suspect but on a 10x4 prop should give a good duration. The cowl still has a 6mm balsa facing to be added.

more soon

Linds

• 2 weeks later...

Well alittle bit more done over the last couple of days

dscn3329.jpg

6mm square blocks added top and bottom of the wing, these will be for fixing artificial wing brace wires from a central strut.

dscn3330.jpg

3mmx3mm square balsa soaked and glued to the edge of the wing tip top and bottom to add a little strength and give a nice curve when covered.

dscn3332.jpg

Natural finish solartex for all the wings and control surfaces

dscn3341.jpg

Simple timber jig made to make up the u/c wires from 3mm piano wire, whipped with copper wire and silver soldered.

dscn3336.jpg

U/C fixed with simple saddle clamps to hardwood blocks in the fuselage

dscn3338.jpg

Sat together, now ready for the servo installation and a bit of detailing

more soon, Lindsay

a litle bit more done this evening including servo's for elevator and rudder, both being Hitec HS81, the elevator linkage being a 4mm dowel stained to match and with pushrods ends glued and covered with shrink wrap. The rudder linkage is a short pushrod to a belcrank mounted on the inside base just forward of the latice rear structure and will then have wire trace closed loop back to the rudder.

dscn3345.jpg

dscn3346.jpg

Linds

• 2 weeks later...

Little bit more done

dscn3393.jpg

Rudder closed loop installed, nylon coated wire pass through two eyelets each side of the fuselage to keep the wire runs neat.

dscn3373.jpg

Hitec HS81 servo's again used for aileron simply mounted to 1.5mm ply covers which are then screwed into ply bearers in the wing to fix.

dscn3382.jpg

dscn3371.jpg

3.25 inch vintage wheels from Flair turned out to be just the correct size.

dscn3384.jpg

Decided to add a little detail with a centre post added and fake bracing wires from black hat elastic simply glue with a touch of cyno into the surface of the wing and through a hole drilled in the post.

dscn3390.jpg

Next jobs are to make the battery cover plate, the internal battery support, install the esc and reciever, a few little dteails just for fun, find a suitable pilot and go test fly.

Linds

dscn3394.jpg

The final part of the build is a 3mm lit ply battery cover that sits on the underside of the cowl, fabricated clip at the front and a couple of magnets at the back keep it secure.

dscn3400.jpg

By a strange twist model prototype number 2 is ready for flight before numer 1. Built by freinds who have added some extra detail and lighter tone of varnish. I am pretty pleased with the result, alas too windy today for a test flight so got a few pics instead.

dscn3405.jpg

Linds

• 1 month later...

She Flies! always a memorable event, just the one flight as the wind was picking up and it was a bit bumpy for a little model but she performed quite nicely. A couple of little mods to the thrust line before the next outing just to fine tune but I was really pleased and looked pretty good in the air if I say so myself. Hopefully a bit of video will be available in the next few days as one of my club mates decided to capture the evidence.

Lindsay

Thanks Steve, yes this will be a free plan; just need to finish the writing and get together with that man Whittacker to sort out the flying shots. Not sure quite what happened with the Goose but never mind a couple of design projects already on the drawing board that hopefully people will like.

Linds

• 1 month later...