Dawn Flyer

Loads of places do pilots Wayne. Pete's Pilots - again you can find his shop on Ebay - are a popular choice. Big range etc. Ripmax do a fair selection as well - especially if you are happy to paint them yourself. Ripmax pilots can be obtained through most LMS's - but try SMC say for mail order.

BEB

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Linds,

Admired your Dawn Flyer design and had an idle OS26FS sat on the shelf which I thought a tad large for your plan. So...had it enlarged by 20% to around 58" and here is the result. Not yet test flown but looking forward to the event and hopeing for a relaxing and fun experience. It`s the first non Scale model I have built for a long time.

Thanks again ( just been admiring " Signwriter" too.

Regards, Dennis.dsc_0003.jpg

Lindsay you are a genius...lol..i hope one day i can match your designs, if not better.

many thanks rcm&e people ..really hate the wood finnish but hey thats just me lol

Dennis Richards, great plane, what size would i inlarge the plan for a sc 25..sorry not been reading other posts bit out of touch these days been flying sims over and over... love this hobby

tartan 81

It's on the way. I've made a start on my large Dawn Flyer - plans enlarged by 50%; all done by hand with a calculator and pencil as I don't have access to CAD (or the ability). Fuse almost completed and about to start on the wing. Will be finished exactly per the smaller one although I do have a suitable pair of wire wheels stashed away. Power will be an E-Flight Power 46 with 4S LiPo. Cheers, Rob.

img_0912 (600 x 400).jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Lindsay, construction is now pretty much complete - just a final sanding and then ready to stain and cover. I pretty much stuck with the same material thicknesses as they were pretty solidly engineered anyway - 6mm side sheeting etc.

I did upgrade the top and bottom main spars to 8mm spruce and the rear to 6mm spruce. Fuselage longerons and cross pieces also 6mm spruce with the diagonals remaining as 6mm hard balsa. I also added a 1.5mm ply doubler overlapping the inside area where the longerons join the fuselage sides as that is where my first fuselage broke (see my earlier posts).

I presume you mean a 200% version - 8ft would be something to see. I'm hoping this larger version will handle the strong winds we are presently experiencing in Oz a bit better than the original smaller one.

Cheers and thanks again for the lovely design, Rob

Edited By woetc on 10/10/2013 00:41:46

• 1 month later...

I have an OS20FS on the shelf and I am really hoping this would be suitable. As far as the open structure and exhaust residues mentioned in an earlier post - good point but if the real aviators had to clean off the castor oil, then I reckon I can too!

Do you think the 20fs would work?

• 2 months later...
Posted by Levanter3 on 05/12/2013 12:27:01:

I have an OS20FS on the shelf and I am really hoping this would be suitable. As far as the open structure and exhaust residues mentioned in an earlier post - good point but if the real aviators had to clean off the castor oil, then I reckon I can too!

Do you think the 20fs would work?

Building mine around an OS .15 FP that used to power my 2.6m glider (although only just!) The glider has had an upgrade to .25 FP so the .15 was begging me to build something for it to live in!

• 3 weeks later...

With all these Dawn Flyers making my original look a bit low tech I decided it was time to add a few extras starting with a bit of any dummy engine. A quick scrounge around the workshop came up with a few mini servo heads, some plastic tube, some offcuts of ply and an old servo lead.

s1020670.jpg

Servo heads were screwed and glued into groups of three and fixed to a ply plate. A couple of pieces of ply added each side as dummy exhaust and inlet blocks and some tube glued to the top of the servo heads for plugs.

s1020671.jpg

s1020673.jpg

Bit of tube added for a fuel line and ready for some paint. First everything painted black, then highlights with copper and silver for a little distressing. Finally added the wire was glued to the plugs and assembly glued to the fuselage.

s1020679.jpg

The exhaust is a snake outer with the end fitting an old ship vent that stand would normally stand upright on the decks!

s1020680.jpg

I'm quite pleased just need some venturi for the carb block to stop it looking like its fuel injected!

Linds

Edited By Lindsay Todd on 28/02/2014 19:58:18

Edited By Lindsay Todd on 28/02/2014 20:01:32