007's 'Little Nellie' MK II

Richard Harris

Nice work, I really should get on with the part kit you sent me and build a basic autogyro, then I might be able to play with one of these once I've learnt.

For your bubbles on the marker p......., I mean flame throwers, I use a No 11 scalpel blade to puncture bubbles. Not perfect when you've finished, but better than bubbles.

Edited By Lazygit on 30/05/2011 07:05:28

Tim,
I knew there was something, should be ok on the slopes though!!

LazyGit (LOL)

Thanks for the idea, I will try this later on when I get a couple of hours free.

Fitted the engine cowlings today, these are off the original and are carved from pink foam. This time I have added spark plugs and leads, made from electronic ferrals with a thin piece of 'o' ring rubber for the leads.
After I finished work today I made up a tail wheel assembly, its coming along nicely now.

Rich

Richard,

I've just come across this thread and certainly back the previous comments on what a great subject you've picked and a great job you're doing of it! Just fantastic.

You now need to get a friend to come in with a 1/4 scale Bell chopper and re-create that dog fight.

That would be a sight to see!

Regards,
Shaun.

Shaun,
Yes, but don't know anyone with a 1/4 scale Bell heli!
Funny thing is me and my mate do sometimes fly out models together, it is not the easiest thing to do. We have to pick lines, generally flies furthest away and I fly closer to keep a good distance away from each other. Strange thing, I don't like helis!

The model is basically completed now, just need to go over all the nuts and bolts. Check my CG position and adjust the thrustline of the motor to suit. If anyone is interested how this is done I am more than happy to explain? Because there is no horizontal tailplane the set up has to be accurate or it would either just pitch up or tuck under under power. I will also hang it from the spindle and set up the motor alignment so that it tracks straight under power.
Weather forcast for Thursday evening looks pretty good to try it, maybe Friday. Just hope I don't have to work over!

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 01/06/2011 00:20:30

Edited By Richard Harris on 01/06/2011 00:29:40

Shaun,
LOL, no helis for me, I am not keen on them but do enjoy watching them for a few minutes.
The 3D stuff is good to watch but its like watching a fixed wing hover, it gets boring after a few minutes! but I do appreciate the skill involved with the pilots though.

Rich

BEB,
Kind of, its about as far as you can take one over on its side before the spinning thing on top starts to slow down and that is not good.
The longer the moment arm on the fuselage the better, just as you would expect.

This video shows it a little clearer, along with a few other aero's.It was all done in a safe manner, I think I was having a bit of a 'stupid' moment at the time!

Rich

After about an hour of messing around up the field I managed to get Nellie into the air, I need to shorten the rods to the head by about 10mm but will do that over the weekend.
Due to the scale track of the UC it was a little tricky to get off the ground, I had a few roll overs and broke one of the missile mounts. Luckily I had brought along some super glue. These mounts will have to be beefed up.

All in all it does fly well and certainly looks good in the air. I did get a few photos taken, not the best but ok. I have also a bit of footage but I will need to sift through it in the morn and make a video.

I am REALLY chuffed!

Rich

Here's a short video taken yesterday evening, and one last photo taken after I had flattened all my Lipo's.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 03/06/2011 09:01:21

Absolutely brilliant Richard. Nice model and brilliant videos well done. The only thing I cant understand is why you havn't done a replica Bond pilot. I'm sorry but hate the pilot. I dont think he does that fantastic model justice. If it was me it would be Bond or nothing.

Again well done! Al

The pilot is Wing Commander Wallis who designed built and flew Little Nellie in the film, I may make a helmet for him but don't know how to go about doing it. I would never be able to carve out a Sean Connery head, it would more likely end up looking like Herman Munster! If anyone could help me out ? I may just ask one of my flying mate David Vaughan if he would be prepared do one for me.

Danny,
I hope to make at least one day at Greenacres at the end of the month. I was just unsure whether I could bring a few of my autogyros, but I have my WebBit I can bring along.

I need to make a new motor mount, as I was turning at slower speeds and applying the throttle the nose was nodding downwards. So need to reduce the prop size and pull down the motor.
The blades are the length that they are as I needed to get the disc loading correct, the tail boom and small wheel are there to stop it rotating any further on take off.

Rich

its been a long time since i have had a grin like this on face while watching a model video, that flight was SUPERB, it looked perfect, all the pilot needs is James Bonds white helmet, for it was, as you know, wallace that flew it in the film,
Well done seems not enough, i want to shake your hand, and buy you BEER, this little fella we have watched grow, has been one of the highlights ofthe year for me,

now then, you have cracked a holy grail, fancy getting it kitted, i feel it would do well, vack forms from vortex, ready assembled chassis, HMMMMMMMMMM

TREMENDOUSLY well done sir!!!

Hi Richard, fantastic model and video

It's not actually my decision but there should be no problem with autogyros at Greenacres. We have had the odd heli fly before now, and jets and we even squeezed in a control line demo last year.

It's not a heli event as planes are doing circuits all the time. But an autogyro isn't a heli is it

Greenacres have always been pretty good at accommodating anything that can be allowed safely. I'm certain there will be a lot of interest.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Cheers
Chris