007's 'Little Nellie' MK II

Richard Harris

Hi all,

Now the weather is warming up I'm back on the Little Nellie case and can work in the garage without freezing my extremities off.

The fuel tank is now completed. It's made from pink foam and depron then glassed. I've added captive bolts epoxied to the foam for fitting to the fus. The next job is the prep for painting and making the weapons.

2021-02-24 11.58.19.jpg

2021-02-24 11.58.40.jpg

2021-02-24 12.02.03.jpg

2021-02-24 12.02.15.jpg

Sorry for the delay in replying Mike, the site is not so user friendly off my phone these days so missed this.

Yes, the blades will need tip weights, the amount will depend on the blade length etc. I built a test model for mine called the REX which replicated its dimensions and weight, once I was happy with the way this flew I simply copied the blades and settings onto Nellie.

Yours is coming together nicely 

Rich

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Murat,

Thanks, but I wish they were 3D printed!. They took ages to make. The flame throwers were made from plastic overflow pipe with wine bottle screw tops hammered into a cone shapes for there front, the flame thrower exit was made from cone shaped depron. The rockets pods were made from a Berroca Orange tablet container cut to size with the rockets (tips only) made from wood dowels covered in a strip of white insulating tape and the tips painted red. The guided missiles were made from thin cardboard sheet rolled to a tube with 1/16 ply for the fins, and a balsa nose cone. All the white bits were spray painted, they needed several coats. In all it took a couple weeks to do.

If you/anyone following this thread has a 3D printer....use it... the accessories were a pain to make.

• 2 months later...

Hi Rich,

At long last.....It's finished. Thanks for taking your blades to P/Borough for me to copy and your support through this build. if anyone else is interested:

Blade length (total) 726mm

Length to bolt hole 720mm

Width 60mm

Thickness 6mm

The hang angle is 17 Degs at AUW with a 2200mah 4S battery.

AUW 1484 grams

Rich,

I've mapped the hang points (top of nose wheel under the fus and top of mast) to get the C of G, against the thrust line. The thrust line is 40mm above the C of G. Do you think this is OK? if not, any suggestions?

253267084_TrustLineVsCoG.thumb.jpg.c497ee3792e671dd4250be5974376d44.jpg

Hang test photo (a bit bleary though) 17 degs

691561486_HangTest.thumb.jpg.238b7b297e0bb1482b5ca8e54c2d9310.jpg

Here's the finished Little Nellie. 

Finished.thumb.jpg.a5bc3b0c3db3adb1648e8d532f18299e.jpg

I have to say... "I'm pleased" will try some test hops (not flight) tomorrow.

8 hours ago, Disciple of Autogyros said:

Hi Rich,

At long last.....It's finished. Thanks for taking your blades to P/Borough for me to copy and your support through this build. if anyone else is interested:

Blade length (total) 726mm

Length to bolt hole 720mm

Width 60mm

Thickness 6mm

The hang angle is 17 Degs at AUW with a 2200mah 4S battery.

AUW 1484 grams

Rich,

I've mapped the hang points (top of nose wheel under the fus and top of mast) to get the C of G, against the thrust line. The thrust line is 40mm above the C of G. Do you think this is OK? if not, any suggestions?

253267084_TrustLineVsCoG.thumb.jpg.c497ee3792e671dd4250be5974376d44.jpg

Hang test photo (a bit bleary though) 17 degs

691561486_HangTest.thumb.jpg.238b7b297e0bb1482b5ca8e54c2d9310.jpg

Here's the finished Little Nellie. 

Finished.thumb.jpg.a5bc3b0c3db3adb1648e8d532f18299e.jpg

I have to say... "I'm pleased" will try some test hops (not flight) tomorrow.

Mike,

Nice looking Nellie, to answer your question regarding a thrustline that is 40mm above the vertical CG I doubt very much it will fly for very long. You may possibly get away into wind but as soon as the rotors off load on a downward wind leg the thrust of the motor will cause a pitch oscillation that can rotated the model and flip it over (this has happened to me).

With no horizontal stab fitted the thrustline has to be aligned with the vertical CG, or slightly biased above no more than 5mm.

With no tailplane  you lose the pitch dampener effect that can help a high thrustline pusher autogyro.

You could possibly fit a tail but with a 40mm offset it may not be enough, but worth a try.

Try some hops as it is and see what it feels like? I will ponder over it and think of a solution.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply. I did wonder if the thrust line was a bit in the high side. If you do come up with any ponderings, please let me know. In the mean time I will confine myself to little hops. Having said that the weather today was very wet so no hopping. 

Hi Steve C

Thanks, I did have an action man initially, but it was the wrong scale. I'm considering a carved foam figure like Rich did of Ken Wallis. I suppose a Sean Connery foamy would be the next best thing

Cheers

Mike

As Rich says 40mm is quite a bit..

I have added weight at the top of the head to move the effective COG up.. did reduce the power vs pitch effect... 

As you cant lower the motor, maybe try filling the top shroud with lead and see what it does to the COG height compared to thrust line.

Seems an odd thing to do but of the distances and forces are not right.. the model is an accident waiting to happen and would be such a shame to damage such a great build effort.

Steve

Edited by Steve Jones 2