Chiltern Models, What happened to them ?

Martin - RAM Models

Hello

I wondered what ever happened to Chiltern Models.

In the late 80' - early 90's they produced a neat range of Bulldog, Provost & Chipmunk. Later they went large scale & did a Firefly & FW190.

Is he company still active, if not does anyone have contact details for the person who ran it ?

Any information posted or PM'd would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Regards Martin

i dont know where he is, but his lovely wife was claimed by cancer, he was from new zealand, wonder if he went back there? i do know his heart went out of the game at this point, i have the bigger version of his tucano, complete with retracts, cockpit detail, needs minor restoration, and it some day, may get its first flight---could do with a new canopy though

I can tell you what happened to my Chiltern Models Chipmunk, if you like.

"Don't you think it;s a bit windy? It's right across the strip too - blowing a hooley!"

"Don't be soft. - It'll be fine. The aeroplane doesn't know it's windy.I'll do it."

"Oh, alright then."

"Did you remember to bring a spade?"

Nice litte models. LIke Alan said - foam wings and veneered foam fuselage parts over a balsa and ply crutch. Still have the canopy and cowl here somewhere. Likely to be a bit old tech for modern tastes.

• 8 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Flew my Tucano a lot over the last two years less last year due to restrictions. I bought the kit unbuilt in 2014 it was from someone's estate, I built it for electric power but the flight times  were poor. So two year ago I fitted a 40 FS, now I get flights up to 15mins. it is in the queue for a referb, I would love to get another of their kits but I can't see that happening.  

50 minutes ago, Victor Arcudi said:

Personally, I've got 3 Chiltern kits, one is a completed small Tucano converted to leccy, a small Tiffy still in its box and a complete Fairey Firefly with all the bells & whistles, including scale prop and spinner for display, retracts, the works!

Not certain Chiltern Models ever made a Typhoon of any size. Galaxy Models did make a 25 two-stroke sized kit.

I had a Tiffie kit that was 90% veneered foam around a 1/4" balsa crutch back in the late 70s/ early 80s.  About 54" span for a .40 with fixed undercart, it flew really well for several years until a tree based incident.  I don't remember what brand the kit was but there was a range of WW2 types based aroud a .40 powerplant.  I do remember seeing the later Chiltern range including the Provost and Chippie in the local model shop (that should tell you how long ago it was!).

8 hours ago, Alan Gorham_ said:

Not certain Chiltern Models ever made a Typhoon of any size. Galaxy Models did make a 25 two-stroke sized kit.

Actually they did, it was originally a Kiwi kit. it comprised of a G/F fus and cowl with a clear (bubble) canopy, plans and a whole lotta sheet for building your own wings & tailplane. A smallish model, it was intended for .40 i.c. power and had fixed l/g.

• 5 months later...

I bought a Chiltern  provost from the Pickets lock show back in the 90's. I remember it building in to quite a nice model, but I didn't have the experience to fly such a model at the time and ended up stuffing it in on it's maiden hanging on the elevator. There was a lot of fus and smallish tapered wings. It needed treating with a bit more respect than I was capable of giving it at the time.  Quite annoyed with myself now, looking back on it ?

Chiltern Provost.jpg

• Like 2

I've got the 56" Tucano, built from a part kit bought at a club sale some years ago. A very good flier with with my 4s 3000 leccy setup. I get about 7 minutes duration, which is OK for me. Its a bit nose heavy, which eliminates accidental tip stalls, and it lands a treat with the flaps. I've got an album of pictures, but no idea how to attach them now the website has changed!

I also had the piston Provost back in the day, 4 stroke powered. It flew OK, but was a bit tip stally so I sold it before the inevitable happened!

• Like 1