The Wonky Webbit, The Story So Far

Well this as far as I have got. Another step forward, I'm now waiting for the inevitable two steps back to appear.

Tail assembly not yet glued so that's why it's wonky.

Geoff

Wonky Webbit Builder No 20

Many thanks for the comments my friends, looks good on here but may not stand up to close scrutiny. I had a right pigs ear of a game with those wing tips.lol. BTW the reason I haven't sheeted the fuselage yet is because I using push rods for the control system. I have never used this method before as I have always used snakes but on the Webbit I felt they exerted too much pressure. Now the question. Do I need to put a support in the fuselage for the push rods or will they manage under their own steam? Cheers my friends

Geoff

Nearly Finished Webbit Builder No 20

Edited By Geoff Smith 1 on 14/06/2011 08:10:26

I like the covering job on the wings Geoff, I'm going to use the same colour and maybe "dayglo" orange for the wingtips.

As for the pushrods, I was in two minds whether to use them but as I already had a spare set of snakes handy I used them instead. For such a small model I'd use 1/4" hardwood dowel (I bought a 10' length from a builders for a couple of quid) with the 2mm rods tied and glued in the normal manner to the ends. They won't need supporting in the fuselage.

Webbiteer No. 43

Why is mine longer than yours? Now that I've got your attention let me elucidate. When fitted my rudder fin extends well below the bottom of the rear fuselage. As I have not fitted wheels the first landing is going to see that ripped off. Have I made a mistake somewhere or should I trim to fit?
Cheers all,
Geoff

Elongated Webbit Builder No 20

Edited By Geoff Smith 1 on 15/06/2011 08:28:04

These things often happen Geoff.
I would trim the rudder to be flush with the fuse btm or alternatively fit
a small tail skid made from either thin piano wire or ply, let in to the sheet.
Check the structure is strong enough first - add some thin ply reinforcement
if poss.
Nice job BTW.

Thanks for this gentlemen. The tail skid seems to be the answer as I didn't want to reduce the fin area. I will most probably fit an undercarriage to it in the near future should the test flights prove ok. Cheers my friends

Geoff

Sorted Webbit Builder No 20

The story so far. The control rods are in and working, everything that goes up and down and side to side are working, servo's centred and flying surfaces levelled. Now for the good bit. I tested the CoG and it is gonna need about 6.5 oz of church roof, this will give it a slight nose heavy attitude (maybe, 'cos I ain't finished the fuselage sheeting yet) that's for tomorrow. Is 6.5 oz excessive? Also, where the heck do you put all this lead in the Webbit? it is going to be pretty tight stacked around the motor. Before you ask, everything that needs to be is right up against the firewall, I can't move anything else up. Cheers my friends.
Geoff

Heavy weight Webbit builder (both of us)

Edited By Geoff Smith 1 on 18/06/2011 23:50:17

Well here it is. Putting the motor on the front has reduced the ballast requirement by half. Still some cosmetic to do. BTW Solatex does not stick to liteply I had to strip of the sides and rub in some Rapid Bond PVA and let it dry, Not perfect but it will have to do as I have no more time to spend on it, ,maybe half an hour on Thursday afternoon. Cheers my friends Just spotted the wings aren't on straight, not intentionally I hasten to add. 

Geoff.

Edited By Geoff Smith 1 on 21/06/2011 17:33:13

Putting the electic motor forward of the Bulkhead is a good move. I note Nigel Hawes did similar. Just been reading a thread where some find the spar COG a little to lively, I'm wondering if the position of the motor would have a relevance on that. If your after easy to fly - slightly nose down on the spar would be my advice regard C of G

Its looking good Geof

Steve

• 1 month later...
Thanks for this Steve. I am really pleased and surprised my Webbit flew so well. It was definitely wonkey. Luckily I noticed it early on and was able to 'build' the wonk out. Made me look a right idiot when it flew 'off the board'. Mind you I put that down to Chris's excellent piloting skills. Goes to prove one thing though Steve, even with my bad eyesight and shaky hands the Webbit must be one heck of a model to perform like it did. Cheers
Geoff

Posted by Chris Bott on 29/07/2011 22:24:07:
Hi Geoff

Have you managed to fly it at all since? It really did go nicely without any real vices.

Hiya Chris, yes I've had a couple of flights but the last one I had a bit of a problem with. On landing I got a bit carried away and didn't notice the prop had stopped in the half past 12 o'clock position and I had to pick the biggest tuft of grass to settle it on. Took the motor and mount off as sweet as a nut. Easily repaired though and now can't wait for a bit of spare time to fly again.

Cheers mate.
Geoff