Last bit of help please

Hiya all. I have posted this request elsewhere but it seems to have been bypassed. I am in the throes of finishing my Webbit and have a couple of questions to help me along. Firstly, on testing the CoG I find that I am going to need 6.5oz of church roof. Is this excessive? Secondly, where the heck do I put it? Clean answers only thank you.Cheers my friends.

Geoff

Heavy weight Webbit builder (yes, both of us)

Posted by Tom Wright 2 on 19/06/2011 16:57:49:
Hello Geoff.
That amount of weight is significant ,although i am sure most builders will say its ok .For test flying i always attach ballast using Velcro under the nose.
Cheers
Tom.

Thanks for this Tom. With the Webbit the only place I think I can get it is in the motor bay, there is not much room in there but I can get a fair bit in there if I shape it. Cheers mate.

Geoff

Posted by Tom Wright 2 on 19/06/2011 17:26:34:
Geoff. It might be worth considering extending the nose with some lite ply faced balsa block, would not take long to do,IMO 6oz is to much to add but even so the model is probably capable of performing ok with the the extra weight .

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 19/06/2011 17:27:15

Thanks for this Tom and Steve. I think I'm in for a rebuild. I am going to follow Steve's suggestion as this looks like the easiest and quickest way out. I'm a bit stuck for time before Greenacres but it will be done, maybe not maidened but definitely picture able. Cheers my friends.

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Smith 1 on 19/06/2011 21:27:42:
Posted by Tom Wright 2 on 19/06/2011 17:26:34:
Geoff. It might be worth considering extending the nose with some lite ply faced balsa block, would not take long to do,IMO 6oz is to much to add but even so the model is probably capable of performing ok with the the extra weight .

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 19/06/2011 17:27:15

Thanks for this Tom and Steve. I think I'm in for a rebuild. I am going to follow Steve's suggestion as this looks like the easiest and quickest way out. I'm a bit stuck for time before Greenacres but it will be done, maybe not maidened but definitely picture able. Cheers my friends.

Geoff

Not too much to do really, I glued a couple of pieces of hardwood between the front former and the fuselage sides, and the cowling was a Robinsons squash bottle which I sprayed blue on the inside, and stuck some white vinyl on the outside, held on with a couple of ss screws.

The "windscreen" slides under the cowl, and has a magnet catch at the wing end.

The underside of the old engine bay is partially open to allow air out, the small gap around the shaft allowed plenty of air through, motor didn't get more than slightly warm after long runs static

Geoff,
I use a 3000mah 3 cell Lipo in mine, would rather have a bit more duration than add cargo, there is plenty of room. But I did have the battery already so used what I had.

Rich

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I am in the throes of moving the motor to the front reinforced former, not very aesthetic I know but it will decrease the amount of ballast I need and give me somewhere to put the ballast I will need. Getting a bit panicky now 'cos tempis fugit and all that. Only got today to finish the alterations and cover the fuselage and do a bit of cosmetic work. Rich, I'm using a 2850mah 3 cell Lipo as well and I think this could be part of my problem, I've got it as far forward as I can so that's where it will have to stay. Cheers all.

Geoff

Last to finish Webbit Builder No 20