Panther Trainer Autogyro

Richard Harris

Andy,
Seems just a bit of lead in the nose first time out cured the nosing up issue, then I realised that it could well be the servo stalling. Having changed the servos to the head I was able to remove the nose weight and that is fine now.
The problem I had last time out was in some circumstances it was yawing slightly but not always in the same rotation.
This evening I went out again in quite a stiff breeze with extra tail fins added. This seems to have worked as I no longer need to add any rudder correction and it tracks as straight as a die.

I am really pleased with the results, it is very easy to fly, this was the main objective. Now the question is, do I let the old man loose on the sticks!

And the old question , what next?

Rich

Hi
looks fantastic

how does flying an autogyro compare to fixed wing ? or is more helicopterish

looks great fun and I think I might have a go

Kev

Kev,
I do not fly helicopters and have no desire to. I have only ever flown fixed wing aircraft and when they are up in the air react very much like a fixed wing but they are a little different.
The hardest part without the shadow of a doubt is getting them off the ground, I had many bumps etc when first trying to get one into the air. Purely because I was in fixed wing mode and just powered off down the runway pulling back on the rotors.
The trick is to just let the autogyro sit there with the rotors tilted back so they start to spin, then move very slowly forwards and let them spin up to speed while slowly moving the tilt back into the neutral postion. Just keep crawling forawrds and you can hear the blades suddenly get up to lifting speed, then it is just a case of slowly applying throttle. An autogyro will take off on its own with no or very little elevator (rearward tilt)
Once in the air larger turns can be made using roll (aileron) making sure never to get past more than 45 degrees in a turn. A little rearward tilt is needed in the turns to stop the nose from dropping. Tighter turns are made using rudder but you have to apply a little opposite roll to keep it flat (just like a fixed wind)
Power is used to climb and rearward tilt is used to slow it down in the air as the rotor disk acts like a huge brake. A bit of power and rearward tilt and it will fly high alpha just playing the throttle.
Good things with these is that they are impossible to stall, if you get a dead stick they will just float down if kept up right.
If you can fly a low wing model then an autogyro will not be a problem once you have learnt how it behaves. If you can fly 3D then you will have some real fun.

Rich

Thought I would mention this but me and a few 'gyronuts' from around the UK get together every few months. This Sunday we will be having a bit of a get together and if anyone wants to come along you are more than welcome. Whether you have a model of just have an interest. It is just a relaxed thing and nothing serious.

We take it in turns to fly at each others fields, this Sunday it is in the Midlands about 10 mins or so from Greenacres.

More info HERE. If anyone flies mode 1 I would be more than happy to let you have a go with the Panther.

Rich

Bill...LOL, will take plenty of photos just hoping the weather will be kind to us.

Kev,
We are able to fly until dark, hope to see you there.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 03/08/2011 12:21:50

We had a bit of a get together today and what a cracking day!

After a couple of flights with the Panther I thought I would let a couple of the chaps have a go. We had to pull out my receiver and install a Spekky jobbie.

Rich took to the sticks first and had several flights, then he buddie leaded it up and Cali had a play. That was it, I never got to fly it again all afternoon but did manage some dog fighting with them. They never stood a chance when I had missiles on board.

A great day and what it is all about

Rich

Kev,
It was nice to meet you and your dog is cute!

Here is a bit of a video of Cali and Rich flying the Panther after Rich had installed his receiver into it on that alien mode 2.

As you can guess this really made my day seeing it being flown by others

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
Nice one Kev,
Never seen that before with video footage, its as though they are stationery!
The Panther has had countless flights and I really do enjoy flying it, though the motor does sound as if the bearings are starting to wear a bit. Might renew them or get a new motor.
I have completed the plans now and have 4 of the best gyro builders and fliers that I know building away at the moment.
Autogyro's are funny things so I am awaiting their feedback on the build and the set up. I have gone a different way about setting this one up and I'm waiting for confirmation that these are correct or not.
If these chaps are happy then I will submit the plan to the mag, if anyone one would be willing to help me write something up it would be a big help? That sort of thing I am useless at!

I will post some photos later on if I get chance to get back on the computer.

Rich

Here's a picture of Rich Elliots example which was test flown today, his is powered using an old open exhaust OS 40 4 stroker. He says it needs all the power to get airborne and seems to fly ok, but it is early stages at the moment. He will give me feedback once it has a few flights under its rotors.
I think he has done a cracking job

Edited By Richard Harris on 22/08/2011 19:53:34

Managed a bit more flight testing and I can tell you Rich has really hit the spot with this design, this is really a great autogyro. My OS 40 is now performing as I want and powers this just fine on an 11x4.
Managed to get a bit of video for you to see, hope you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG4mG8twUeU

Cheers
Rich

Here's Chris's version over in OZ
  Thanks for the feedback and recommendations, very much appreciated , I will get to work on them.

Edited By Richard Harris on 27/08/2011 12:10:39

I made up some new blades for a retro 1980's BVM Hobbit that I am building, I needed a test bed so have thrown them on top of the Panther. Took her out tonight and after a little trimming got it flying reasonable.

Here's a short flight with the 2 bladed head fitted.

Edited By Richard Harris on 30/08/2011 22:20:00

• 1 month later...
Had a bit of a 'get together' today down at Old Warden, good to meet up with Tom and his mates and allllll those pipe laggers and gyros!

First flight of the day with the Panther and all was going well in the windy conditions.

Then I made a foolish pilot error and miss judged a stall turn, at the top of the vertical I was just starting to kick it around and the wind blew it over onto its back, rotors stopped and no height to recover!

As you can guess I am really frustrated with myself and keep thinking why did I do it! I really enjoyed flying this one as well.

All part of the hobby

I will take a closer look tomorrow and see if it is worth repairing or a bin job.

Frustrated

Rich

Thanks for a geat day out Rich ,it was a pleasure to watch you and the gang fly the gyros so well .Dont be to upset by the Panther mishap its quite clear this is an really good model and we hope to see it thrashing the sky again very soon .
Found out why my three rotor was limited to 1min sorties bettwen crashes ....errr ....had the TX on low rates hence not enough control authority to fly in the stiff breeze.
Look forward to seeing the results of Debs camara work ,and getting together again for another dark side meet.
Tom.