Ideas for new polls

Romeo Whisky

I would be interested to know how many fly only at a club, how many fly elsewhere than at a club (either alone or as a small group).

Perhaps the questions could be:-

Do you fly ...

a. At a club site
b. From private land
c. From a public site (playing field etc).

allowing people to check more than one answer.

This is a really good one! I back this one definitely, it would be interesting to know. Would the club site include, slope soaring and then flat ground fields for the nitro and petrol maniacs (have to say this one is the best)?

Tom

Sorry to be a pain, but which would I (and others, eg. BEB) tick if we fly at a club site that is on public land?

I guess probably "club site", but - though I think it's a great question for a poll - the answers people might want to give may not be quite as straightforward as you'd think!

There might be quite a lot who fly in more than one, so "mainly" would be a good idea.

The best approach to use for questions where there are "mixed" answers as some have pointed out is to use a hierarchial method of answering - sometimes called "the bagatelle board" principle.

The idea is that you work down the list of options and tick the first one that applies. So if you flew at a club site on public land you would just tick club site because that is the first choice that applies. Might sound complicated but it's not really, and it does give the statistical answer that we would be trying to get at..

why not uncomplicate it - pick the first that applies:

Mainly from rented club site
Mainly from club owned site
Mainly from club site on public land/park
Mainly on private land
Mainly on public land /park

Should be sufficient info to break down the results in enough different ways to satisfy most interests...any other categories spring to mind? 

Edited By Martin Harris on 26/07/2011 17:34:03

Some clubs fly off public and/or privated land.
Is it a 'private' club, or Association flying off private or public land.
Is your club or association BMFA affiliated. Or, affliated or not to another recorgnise national or semi-national non or recorgnised group.

Polls can be a nightmare can't they. They can end up just pandering to the notebook database brigade etc

Other Q's to ask.

I.C.
Electric.
Petrol.

Lipo
Life
NiMH

Vintage (Post  ... ) yr
Scale (ditto)

Indoor.
Peanut
Scale

The lists are endless ..... BB ever helpful

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 26/07/2011 18:22:38

That was why David suggested the word "mainly" which I think is an excellent idea given the limitation of a single vote. I'm sure ther'll be someone who claims equal use of every option but I feel something along the lines suggested might suit the vast majority.

Have you been away BB? I don't recall seeing any posts from you recently...but I don't read every thread.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I would like to know..

I am not a member of BMFA and fly uninsured
I am not a member of BMFA but I have my own insurance
I am a member of BMFA but fly alone
I am a member of BMFA and mainly fly with an unaffiliated club
I am a member of BMFA and mainly fly with an affiliated club
Something else ?????

Martyn

I also reckon 55 for the average age. Interestingly, at 38, i'm the youngest in my RC flying Club here in the US. Most flyers are retired and over 55. I suspect, even with me the average age out here is more like about 60. Back home in Wiltshire, I think the average age was a bit lower than 55. Anyway....

What about a poll of 'what is your favorite ARTF value for money airframe brand'

voting could be something like:

Hangar 9
Great Planes
Ripmax
Black Horse
Seagull
Goldwing
VQ
CMP
HobbyKing
Multiplex
Phoenix