ARC Ready 2 anyone got the plans? Need C of G position

Jim Burton 1

OK, My trusty Ready 2 was in need of more grunt, and so I've replaced my OS 2-stroke with a heavier Thunder Tiger 4-stroke. I need to check and re-set the centre of gravity. Trouble is, I've lost/thrown away the original instructions/plans showing where the C of G should be.

If anyone still has the plans could they please take a look and tell me the C of G measurement from front edge of wing. The TT website is un-cooperative otherwise I'd try a download for the manual for the Ready 3 which is identical, I think, apart from the new decals

Thanks in advance.

Well 8 to 10 cm seemed wrong to me even though I have never owned a Ready and not seen one for years! Sure enough when I eventually managed to download the Ready 40 / Ready 3 manual it says 80 to 85 mm. So 10cm /100 mm is way out!
It took ages to download the manual but it's possible.

kc,
I've got one with an MDS 48 (good one) up front, it all dates from 2004. Good tough sport plane unaffected by damp/wet conditions. I placed the provided CG stickers on the wing. I measured the distances from the actual wing I use. I fly it with the rear most CG (10cm). My 5 cell battery is to the rear of the servos and my 35mHz Rx just in front of the servos. I used Futaba 3001 servos with two in the wing. Perhaps I prefer a little more elevator response as I got my 'A' back in 1980. But, yes, start with the more forward CG and be prepared to move it back. The nosewheel plastic mount was prone to break if landed too hard on the nosewheel ('wheelbarrow' landing).
HTH

Well if you have tried it it's probably OK for an experienced flier, maybe others too. I didnt want someone to lose a plane because of a rearward CG so I looked it up
Some planes are very tricky with even a little rearward CG, others are manageable. You don't know until someone tries it and then it might be too late!

kc,
My bad. I should have qualified my statement on the CG range. At 10cm back it can suffer from high speed stalls, especially inverted - interesting doing outside loops or bunts.
As to losing it through a crash, they sure are tough. At a past flying site there was a 33k power line across the landing approach and guess what. Yes, it ripped the wing off(single plastic bolt retention), the fus stoped dead and fell verticle a considerable distance. A very slight crease in the wing leading edge and sundry scuffs - nothing else.

kc - thanks for the heads-up: the TT website is co-operating now and I've d/l'd the plans which confirm your former post. I'll be going for 80-85mm alright. I can't speak for Gonzo but the last thing I want is a tricky beast - just keeping the thing in the sky is hard enough (for me, I'm a crap pilot). I can, however confirm what G says about the legendary toughness of this model - even with me at the controls, it's still in one piece (vintage 2006).

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 30/08/2011 09:30:37

• 2 years later...
  • 6 years later...