2012 Vintage Mass Build - sources of models

In response to the vintage mass build idea we need to help folks find out what models they could build and where they could buy kits or get plans from.

So if you remember those days, or follow the vintage scene today, please share with us any relevant information to help others make their selections.

Web links and pictures would be very helpful along with plans sources, kit manufacturers and any "flying notes" you might have.

Thanks

BEB

BEB,

Magician kit. This is the mid sized one of the 3 in this series, good for a 32-46 2 stroke and 52" span, so well within most builders grasp. Kit is build from plan, with no seperate instructions, but is an easy build like the WEBBIT.

Kit is available from either Galaxy Models or Pegasus Models.

Kit can be modified in many ways. It is also very easy to convert to electric.

Its a great flying sports model and a bit of a retro classic too! Mine flew like my Pulse XT40 . This is not mine, but an image I found on t'internet; a Magician next to the other Brit classic.

BEB,
My Friend Dereck Scott has a vast collection of vintage plans of almost anything that you can remember. He can print any of them and get them posted virtually they same day.
I hope this is of help?

I personally liked the single model build as with the WebBit, people could personalize in their own way which was something enjoyable and completely different. We all had a lot of fun at the fly-in and it was very interesting to see the variations that is possible from one model. We were comparing each others builds and how we all went around different obstacles during our builds. I think we all learnt something from each other, I know I did.
My opinion is that this will all be lost with a vintage type model as alterations are limited other than different power plants etc.
Don't get me wrong, I love vintage and free flight aircraft .Its just nice to see something a little more challenging than what is done on other forums etc.

Rich

The X-Lists are a good idea - loads of stuff there. The problem is most of the names don't mean anything to most people! So suggestions of a few good 'uns from yesteryear - other than the obvious ones we all know - would be very helpful.

Any er, how shall I put this, errr, "more mature" modellers out there that can help us out on names to look out for? Something you remember as being an attractive model and good flyer from back then?

BEB

PS Before anyone asks I was 8 in 1965 and modelling was still 5 years in the future! And anyway I wasn't rich enough to know anyone that had radio control gear then - or for quite a long while afterwards either!

Ben Buckle Matador is here £49.99

Quite a big model at 47" span but only recommended for a 1.5cc diesel. This would probably be my choice.....but should I use my DC Sabre (without a throttle) or my OS Max 15.....decisions decisions.....

Solartex probably too heavy for this one.....my original had a 1/16" sheeted fuselage & was covered with "heavyweight" tissue (now there's an oxymoron) It flew very well on a 1.5cc Sabre (yep the same onementioned above) but was a little bit underpowered....a 2.5cc PAW solved that problem....

Built as designed (ie unsheeted) & with modern lightweight gear it would probably be OK on a 1.5cc diesel if flown in light winds.....

Couple of other thoughts.....

Solarfilm isn't totally resistant to diesel fuel.......

Electric fliers should forget the 100w/lb rule of thumb....vintage designs will fly on much much less & I would suggest that 50w/lb would be adequeate.....

Yeap, looking at the kits on the Ben Buckle site I am constantly amazed at how small the recommended engine is for the size of the model!

The other day someone was showing me their latest 60" span bipe with a 26cc petrol engine on board!

Do you think we've "lost" some key piece of knowledge over the last 50 years?

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 16/09/2011 14:17:21

Its a bit like cars BEB isn't it...? 25 years ago a 1.6 litre engine was pretty standard for a family car with maybe a 2 litre for the show-offs!!! Now we have at least 2 litres up front & a lot more horsepower to boot it doesn't make them better to drive though.....

I remember driving my Dads SRi Cavalier in the early 80's when I'd just passed my test. It had 115 bhp from 1.8 litres & was genuinely an exciting car to drive, fast, responsive. I recently test drove a 2 litre Peugeot 407 GT which had about 148 bhp & I nearly fell asleep....

Oops...completely off topic.....this nostalgia thing really gets to you doesn't it !!!

Steve,

I already have a Matador kit in the shed, did my original FF with a mills .75 and my second had an ED Bee Mk2. The third a Mills 1.3 on single channel.

I recon it's not too difficult and very pleasing to build, suits a large range of power options. It would make a very pleasant guided FF model.

Cheers,

Chris.

Just another thought,

Last year I was speaking to Leon at Belair about a part kit for a Vic Smead Poppet. They were doing that for about £25 and they also do the Tomboy in both sizes I imagine it would cost approximately the same for both sizes.

Both would also FF very well.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 18/09/2011 15:09:00

And also a few words of praise for what seem to be two excellent suppliers. The Dercek Scott service recommended above has been used by a couple of my clubmates who speak very highly indeed of the reasonable prices and rapid turnaround

I ordered three plans from Ben Buckle earlier and within two hours had an email telling me that P&P was an astonishingly reasonable £2 (other retailers take note) ,and that my plans are already on their way

That's good service on all counts

Ok, we have a problem, Houston.....

My 3 Ben Buckle plans arrived today (not only great value plan and postage prices but also delivered less than 24 hours after placing the order - how good is that? )

My "problem" is that having ordered three knowing I'd definitely build one from two, and the third plan was a punt, I now want to build all three of them

This is somewhat at odds with my profile, part of which reads " Mission statement: to stop drooling about the "next" project, and instead to actually finish all the "nearly" completed models in my shed (and then fly them until they break)." And that was before I also started a slope soarer.

See what you've done BEB. Is this responsible behaviour from a mod?

i regard myself as a reasonably experienced builder, but a quick peruse of the plans has already raised some questions in my mind re the best way of doing the r/c thing with these beauties. Really looking forwards to the sharing of build logs