2012 Vintage Mass Build - sources of models

New Telemaster kits will be available from November onwards. The first batch will be the six-foot Telemaster 40, the eight-foot Senior Telemaster will be available a little later.

The kits will be different from previous kits in that they will feature a "die cut tab build process."

However, Hobby Lobby have also told me that a short-kit containing the plans, wing and tail ribs and a cutting list will also be available for those who want to build the traditional Telemaster.

I have no word on prices as of yet.

As the Telemaster first flew in the early 1960s, it is eligible for the 2012 Vintage Charity Mass Build.

Happy Landings

DD.

• 3 weeks later...
Earlier on this thread Steve H mentioned engine sizes and compared them to car engines of a generation ago. The common thing is weight........even small cars weigh well over a ton ( 2240 pounds ) now while a 1968 Viva weighed about 15cwt  (1700 pounds.)  Its the weight that makes a difference.
Its the same with planes they are built much heavier except by vintage builders and other 'proper' builders. So that's a clue for this current build....

Edited By kc on 14/10/2011 17:15:00

• 2 weeks later...
Here is some backgound and data sources for those contemplating an Astro Hog

The Astro Hog was designed by Fred Dunn and was first published in Model AirPlane News, April 1958.

A copy of this article can be downloaded from here:-

(post #14 - astrohog1.pdf, astrohog2.pdf and Astro Hog Flying Instructions by Fred Dunn.pdf)

The plans, also pdf, can be downloaded from here:

(post #2 - Astro Hog Fuselage.pdf and Astro Hog Wing.pdf)

The original Astro Hog wingspan is 72" but you can scale down the plans to whatever scale you want. Your local print shop (Staples?) should be able to oblige. Failing, that you can tile print it across several A3/4 sheets and stick together.

Worth downloading the plans just to marvel at the detail - note the valve receiver, ball bearing aileron bearings and elevator operated tail-wheel brake!

Smaller sized 'Hog' plans are available from myHobbystore:-

Plan RM283 - Astro Hog 40 by Dave Boddington - 82% scale - 59" wingspan
(published in the Radio Modeller - January 1985 - I have the mag!)

Plan MAG125 - Mini Hog by Harry W Gilkes - 42" Wingspan

Sig Mfg produce a full size Astro Hog kit, which is still available from the usual suppliers (SMC etc)

Sig Astro Hog (there are instruction manual links at the bottom of the page)

The Sig kit differs from the original design in that they have moved the tailplane from the bottom of the fus to the top, which is OK (ish). However, the trike u/c option instead of the taildragger is heresy.

There is also a half size kit, 36" span, available from BMJR Models (US supplier):-
BMJR Model Half Hog

Hope the above whets your appetite for a Hog fest!

Sparks

Edited By Sparks on 23/10/2011 13:25:56

• 4 weeks later...
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 15/09/2011 15:56:03:
For kits:

forum:

Also check out the X-List plans

Just had a look at the Replikit website and have noticed that it is UP FOR SALE!!!
It goes on further down to say :

Last orders for REPLIKIT will taken on Wednesday 27th April 2011

It then states that it will close on 30th April 2011 until new owner reopens it!!

So it looks like Replikit will not be of use for anyone still looking for their model!!

Dave

• 4 years later...

I have built a couple of Ben Bukle plans Lanzo record breaker.it is a farely easy build quite basic but a nice large aero plane when finished .also a 1941 free flight Fire Brand petrol spark engine when designed it now has rc and a .57 nitro up front just about ready to start a BB Diamond Deamon diesel nice little model can be flown ff/or one channel on rudder or as i am doing two channel Rudder and elevater 1.5PAW diesel up front.Lanzo Record Breaker(mine before i sold it)

• 4 years later...