FW-190 builders thread......

propogandhi

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by SA Allan on 09/12/2011 04:59:35:
Any more progress Ruston ?
No more progress on the plane but instead some progress on a pilot:
(click on the photo if it displays distorted)

This is an Aces of Iron figure from the States and is very nicely sculpted; as you can see there is plenty of detail. At 1/7th scale, he'll be a little large for my FW190 but just right if you are building the 60 inch wingspan version. I have painted him using Vallejo acrylics.

Edited By Ruston on 13/12/2011 19:52:57

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for the late reply. I think If you plan then cut using tissue you can't go far wrong. I use a soft brush to appy Poly C and with a medium to heavy weight tissue I lay the tissue and brush the Poly C on. Keep a sharp knife and scissors handy for any additional trimming you might need to do. Complex curves just need to be thought through. Sometimes I'll lay the tissue over the area as this will help me decide where I need to cut. Also keep in mind that even if your tissue overlaps an area and looks messy it can always be sanded smooth later. I keep a hair dryer handy when using Poly C and use it on medium heat and flow to dry in between coats. You are not trying to fill a weave so 4 to 5 coats should do it. I've found that Poly C gets harder over time. I've been surprised how hard it has been after a week and then again after two weeks. I think someone said it's like the industrial floor wax they use on gymnasiums. Dunno if this is true but it makes sense.

The build is looking fantastic by the way. That pilot looks great too. keep them coming.

Hope this helps

Shane

Hi Ruston, make sure you heed the warnings of sealing the balsa before using the PolyC it is water based and will warp the sheeted areas for sure. Two or three coats of sanding sealer should do it.
Looking great btw

Cheers
Danny

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks to Shane and Danny for your replies, I think I'll practice the PolyC application on some scraps of balsa first before commiting to the model.

I've made a start on the wings and have one just about ready to be sheeted:

I've made a couple of minor deviations from the plan. As I will not be installing flaps, I have repositioned the rear most spar so that it runs parallel to the main spar rather than parallel to the TE. This has the advantage that I will now get the sheeting to join over the spar rather than having an unsupported butt joint. This photo shows the spar layout:

I have also moved the aileron servo mount slightly foward so that it is also supported by the main spar:

There is a bit of trimming and sanding to do, then on with the sheeting.

Ive just received my mouldings and have a query, the battery/gun hatch is supposed to fit under the cowl. However, even off the plane they dont fit together that well,, when trial fitted they dont fit at all. The cowl is round and the gun hatch is angular, do i just force them to fit?
I'll post photos later to explain more easily.

Here's the photo I promised, the round cowl is to the left and the gun covers to the right. They have not yet been accurately cut down in the photo but they don't fit any better when trimmed. The centre bit between to two troughs is easy but the high angular bits to the left and right seem to be a problem.

This is my first build from plan, I've always gone for pre cut ribs before. I need to re shape the area in front of the canopy. I sanded it to a round section before receiving the canopy.

The blue snake is for the elevator, I'll use pull pull wires for the rudder.

Hi Bucksboy, your build is looking good. Based on the photos in the RCM&E article (page 14), it looks as though the fit of the cowl and hatch does leave a slight gap. It looks as though the hatch is intended to sit lower relative to the cowl than you have them aligned in your photo?

Ruston,
Thanks for that, my first reaction was to agree and move the the cross member under the cowl down. But, there's always a but, the position of the cross member is fixed as it sits on the stringers. I think some good old fashioned 'bodging' is required.
Luckily the part is not structural, its a battery hatch and the batteries will be restrained with velcro and more.
I'll think on for a bit before I tackle this area, I'm nearly done with the wings so there is still lots to do.

Just getting sorted for a Tony N FW190. Planning to use a Turnigy 4260 500kv motor with a Turnigy 80 amp ESC.This motor is rated at 1475 watts so power should be Ok. I notice on the plan Tony recommends 2X4000 mah 3s. I thought about a single 6s it looks to me as though it would fit in quite nicely. Anybody see why I should use 2X3s instaed of 1X6s.

Posted by Danny Fenton on 26/12/2011 11:22:25:
Hi Ruston, make sure you heed the warnings of sealing the balsa before using the PolyC it is water based and will warp the sheeted areas for sure. Two or three coats of sanding sealer should do it.
Looking great btw

Cheers
Danny

I have used Skincrylic on veneered foam wings for glassing, Caused all sorts of warps in the veneer. I glassed a fuse with the same material results were great easy to use and gave a great finish for paint. I would be happy using Skincrylic or Poly-C on fully skinned built up wings. Danny is right though the sheeting can warp if you dont seal it first.

Edited By Glyn R on 13/01/2012 18:21:38

Edited By Glyn R on 13/01/2012 18:22:48

Hi all
I have just received the FW 190 plan and CNC pack and am ready to start the build. I though I would start with the tailplane first. Building notes on the the plan suggest building directly on the plan - however, only one half of the tailplane is printed. Checking Tony's build photos, I see that his plan has the whole tailplane printed. Any one else found this problem?

I think that there is a difference between the free plan that came with the magazine and the one you can purchase from Tony Nijhuis Designs. Due to space and money limitations the free plan is more economical with the quality of paper and layout etc.
For the first time ever I've tried to build this model completely from the free plan and cut every part myself. Luckily I bought two copies of the magazine, the constant checking, folding and unfolding was too much for the first copy and it disintegrated (despite the Selotape!).

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies Ron and Bucksboy. Any photos of your builds by the way?

Unfortunately my plan has no dotted other tailplane half.

I bought the plan from My Hobby Store, together with the CNC pack. I have just ordered the magazine as a back issue, so maybe the free plan is the better one!

My plan came on 4 sheets. Here is the tailplane part, on the edge of the paper.

Am I missing something?

Phil

Phil,
Your plan looks identical to my free plan but printed on better paper. Build over the plan but cut the spars to the full width. Then move the unbuilt half over the plan to complete.

I must admit that I'd have thought the bought copy would be a bit better.

Photos to come soon.

Well, I received my back issue RCME special today with the free 190 plans. The plan I paid £22.50 for from My Hobby Store is exactly the same, but on better paper and printed on one side only. It seems that the plan supplied by Tony for £20 is more detailed. The tailplane is one example, I assume there are many others. Here is a screenprint of a photo from Tony's build photos showing the whole tailplane drawing.

I will buy the full plan from Tony as I need as much building help as possible, but I really think that I have been short changed by My Hobby Store. I wonder if Tony knows about the difference?

I have been in touch with Tony and have ordered a set of his plans.

It seems that MHS prefer to print on smaller sheets of paper. Completely understandable for the magazine issue, but just plain mean for the £22.50 plan.
In future, I will order everything directly from Tony as I would like to get them as he drew them - I think MHS should make it clear that the plan that they charge for is no different to the free one and is not the same as the one available from the designer.

Not a good start to my winter build!

My 190 is coming on nicely and I've decided this will be my first real electric. Tony shows the Li Po batteries but I've read about the A123 batteries. These can be built in and charged in the plane. The trouble is I know very little about them. I was going to buy the recommended set up to ensure everything worked well. However, I think its worth looking at these A123 batteries before I spend my money.

Is there anyone out there who could recommend what I need? I assume the motor and ESC remain the same? Its headed to weigh in at 8 1/2 lbs in total.

Thanks

Well, the wing fixings are done so its on with the flaps. I've built the flaps from lite ply with balsa ribs. These are now hinged onto the wing temporarily. Next will be shaping the leading edge and fairing everything in. Once done I'll cover it all with fibre glass.

I've already covered the flaps with glass and then it will be operated by a servo under a cover that can be seen in the wing.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I've taken a gamble and bought a cheap pair of electric retracts for £10.50 each from E Bay. First impressions seem good but only time will tell if they keep going. They don't come with legs so I've bought a 5 mm piano wire to make my own.

The wheel wells will be opened up as will where they fix into the ply I've built into the wing. Hopefully I'll get around to glassing soon.

• 1 month later...

Is there a component list for all the CNC parts so I can work out how much has to be cut out by hand?

The wood list on the RCM&E free plan seems to indicate that there's a lot of extra work to do here.

What do I need 18 sheets of 75mm x 2.4mm(3/32" balsa for?

Garry G