FW-190 builders thread......

propogandhi

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since anyone has posted..... has anyone completed the model?

Mine is progressing very slowly, but am enjoying it and impressed by the accuracy of the CNC cut parts. However, I have a question for those who have already skinned the fuselage. I have just glued on the ply wing doublers between F4 and F2 and I can't see how the lower fuselage sides will be able to bend around F1. Surely the part ot the plywood doubler between F3 and F2 won't allow it.

I checked Tony's build photos and it seems that his doublers only go half of the wing chord, ie between F4 and F3. If that is the case, then I am sure there will be no problem with the bend.

Is there a mistake or have I missed something? What did you do?

Phil

Mines nearly there but i need to get to my computer to post photo's, this is from an i pad. I'll check the plane and plan and see what help i can give. Mine's is just awaiting a prop adaptor for the 8mm motor shaft, I'll hopefully get one at Blackbushe. I bought vinyl stickers from e bay too for £8 odd and they are excellant, i'll post details later.

Wow, that's looking really good! What did you cover it with?

I have checked Tony's build photos and it really seems that his doubler is half the size of mine!

Here is Tony's between F4 and F3....

Tony doubler

Here is mine, between F4 and F2

my doubler

My fear is that the plywood between F2 and F3 will not allow the fuselage sheeting in front of the wing to bend around F1.

Anyone else had this problem?

Phil

Phil,

thanks for that, its covered in Fibretech resin and 25g cloth. Fibretech is now known as Bucks Composites. Its very easy to apply and gives a good finish, its then sprayed with Humbrol Enamels and a cheap airbrush.

I'll have to look later to see where my doublers extend to, i dont remember any problems with folding both sides around and under F1 and F2 and glueing. I'll take a snap if it helps.

Hi Bucksboy

I was thinking of using resin on mine too. I have recently returned to modelling and have only ever used film (and tissue many years ago). I have a compressor in my workshop, but never sprayed anything with it yet! But how do you cover the parts that aren't sheeted - the rudder for example?

If you could check to see if your doublers go to F2, that would be helpful. Maybe the plywood will bend, but it seems pretty stiff to me.

Phil

Phil,

the ply doubler does go to F2, it bends round ok, the two sides dont meet underneath, there is big chunk of balsa on the bottom.

I've covered the rudder and elevators are covered in solartex, they take paint nicely. Hope this helps.

Here is the internal shot of my 190 plus the external shot after a session with an airbrush.

Minus the cowl

I'l start some tests with a Watt meter to try and work out a decent sized prop for this plane, its got a XYH motor from Giant Cod in it.

Hey all,

I have the plans for this from the magazine.and I also have a spare Thunder Tiger Pro 61. What would be required when building the plane to take this motor instead of the electric setup.

I'm guessing some sort of doubler near the firewall would be a start. Acan anyone recommend anything else.

Hey all,

Well I spoke to Tony via email about the use of the TT Pro 61 and this is what he said.

"Glenn

The 61 should be ok. The fire wall is 6mm birch ply so should be strong enough. Generally the airframe shouldn't need any modification. The battery access can be dispensed with and a 10oz tank fitted and accessed from the wings

Thanks & regards

Tony Nijhuis"

Now everyone knows that a 61 would be suitable with no extra work. I look forward to building this one now.

Good luck, keep us posted! Mine is awaiting two big batteries to power it, I've used smaller batteries to check it all works. I need to buy two 4000-5000 mAh batteries to achieve the centre of gravity and then fly. I'm very pleased with myself as I cut everything out myself rather than buying the pre cut parts.

it went together really well and certainly looks the part, the end of May should see it in the air.

Tony,

You need to sleep! 1 'o'clock in the morning and still posting. I must say that whilst i cut my own parts for this build, this model had a fairly low number of parts. In the past I've bought the CNC parts and they are very good. I intend to buy the big batteries from Purple Power at Blackbushe show next weekend and then all excuses run out.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all,

I bought two 5000mAh 3 cell Li Po batteries from Purple Power for approx£43 each, which I thought was good value. I also picked up two sprung oleos from my LMS but they needed the end drilling out at fit my retracts. My friend Peter has done that today and I pick them up tomorrow, Friday. So, weather permitting, maiden should be on Saturday.

I've balanced the plane too, both batteries needed to be shoved right to the front but at least no lead is needed. I've fitted a strap around the battery box to stop the batteries going forward, the hole in the front bulkhead is a close fit to the batteries. This stops the batteries moving if the plane is inverted, I use a hard foam block to stop rearward movement. I've popped it on a Watt meter to but I don't have the figures to hand. I've also opened up a hole in the bottom of the cowl to allow air to move over the ESC.

Well, fingers crossed for decent weather and I'll fly it!

Well, she flew! The wing was weighed and came in at 3 lbs dead, the fuselage with batteries was 6lb 8 oz so 9 1/2 lb in total. The Watt meter said there was 915 watts so just under the magical 100W per pound. There was a 15 x 8 prop at the front for the flight.

The self castoring tail wheel was a pain and taxying trials were difficult with directional control being very hard. She would swing one way, then the other and the rudder not really doing much. Good old masking tape came to the rescue and the wheel was taped still.

Then I lined her up and took off with plenty of power, she climbed away and I had to put in loads of down to stop her heading for the clouds, there was a bit of left too and a tiny bit of rudder, to stop her crabbing. Then I checked the stall which was very gentle, then a few more high circuits as I was still nervous and then it was time for landing. I never had time to check the flaps this time around.

I had to go around after the first attempt and the batteries were starting to fade so I landed her, there was a small bit of ballooning and she dropped in from about 3', this ripped out one retract and slightly bent the other.

So, a repair to the wing, sort out the tail wheel and then I've got a fantastic warbird that flies really well so I'm really pleased. I didn't manage any pictures at all I'm afraid, next time I hope.

Well done Bucksboy!

I know that Tony said that a steerable tailwheel would help takeoffs - I think I will fit one to mine when the time comes. My build is progressing slowly as it has been over 25 years since I bashed my last bit of balsa!

It would be good to see some flying pix or video of your butcher bird. to inspire the rest of us!

• 2 months later...

Well, I repaired it and flew it again very successfully. She really grooved around the sky and flew wonderfully. Until one day the plastic battery cover detached itself from under the front of the cowl and flapped around held only by a rubber band. As soon as I saw it I landed successfully. Not wanting a repeat, I doubled up the elastic band and shoved the cover firmly under the cowl. The next flight it did the same thing and the cover again came away from under the cowl. All except this time the elastic band was stronger and this time the band acted as a hinge. The cover hinged up and backwards and looked like a garage door in front of the cockpit. Alas, it wouldn't fly with this barn door and dropped out of the sky like a stone. It broke into two bits and ripped out the engine bulkhead.

However, after encouragement from friends, an hour later and super glue, she was one again. I epoxied in some reinforcement and carbon here and there and she flew again. Just the same, a delight to fly. That is until my son was flying her. He's not too used to flaps and didn't keep enough power on the finals and she flicked in, this time she went into three bits.

So now I've handed her over to Bill, who'll never see a plane burnt. I'm sure she'll fly again, there is no oil to stop the glue taking easily. He'll convert her to a dolly launch and save some weight. Its a shame, she flew really nicely.

So, I had already bought the 72" Spitfire at Wings and Wheels, I'll crack on with that.

FW190

• 3 months later...
I really miss the 190 so in my spare time I'm going to cut out the bits again. As I mentioned earlier, the parts count is quite low. I'll need to buy a new cowl and canopy but I've still got the batteries, ESC and motor sitting around. Hopefully it'll be ready for the summer, one year on from the first one. I'll do something about the battery hatch to stop it turning into the biggest air brake in the world.

• 1 month later...