Building Santa's Little Helper

Well I've ordered the Ben Buckle Elf as my contribution to the 2012 Vintage Mass Build. I was drawn to the Elf right from the start - but then I am a sucker for biplanes!

The original model was designed by Frank Ehling, some sources say in 1937, others say 1938, but let's not quibble about a year! The original was of course a free flight model with a wing span of 39". This particular Elf will be what is sometimes known as the "Elf Senior" and have a 60" span - so its a fair old size.

Kit hasn't arrived yet so as you might guess I'm spending some time doing a bit of research into the model. I have found some plans on the internet - here's the fuselage:

The Wings:

and finally a rather useful isometric general arrangement drawing - always handy for resolving any uncertainities in reading what is a fairly complex plan!

Strictly speaking the Elf is a sesquiplane rather than a pure biplane as its lower wing has a significantly shorter span than the upper. I think it gives the model a very "golden age of aviation" look! There is significant forward stagger between the wings which doesn't show well on the isometric plan but you can see it on the fuelage plan. This plan describes the 4-channel version with ailerons. I will probably be building the 3-channel variant - sans ailerons! Its interesting to note the significant aileron differential recommended on the plan - and a mechanical means of achieving it.

Anyway, I can't wait to get "stuck in" once my kit arrives, it looks to be an interesting, and in places very challenging, build.

To finish off with, here's a photo of what we are aiming for:

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/11/2011 11:05:43

Well, I had decided on the Super 60 as my common model build & have already got the kit out but that flying photo of the Elf has got me thinking! What a lovely model!!

Seriously, I am tempted to get the Elf kit out, but I think I will first do the Super & if I have time I may well start on the Elf.

I was hoping to take early retirement in the spring, so would have had loads of time (in theory) but this has been delayed 'till November but you never know!

Thanks guys - I think its lovely as well - as I say I was drawn to it right from the outset when we were first looking at candidate models.

Well the kit arrived today. I'll be opening the box tomorrow to take a good look around and sniff the balsa!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 05/11/2011 18:23:23

Edited By Tim Mackey on 05/11/2011 19:11:02

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
BEB,

Many years ago Jim Dyson and Brian Rowe were club mates of mine. Before SWM and while I was sharing a glow plug with a mate. Jim built an Elf Biplane. He then drew it up and passed on the info to BB kits. It was Ben back in those days and not Colin ( Bens Son) . Anyway I believe Jim and Brian had a lot to do with the BB Elf Biplane 'happening' and I think it's still Jims plane on the box label. Jim passed on some years ago. I must admit I often give him a thought when I see anything Elf related. I had a very quick go of Jims aeroplane back in the 80s and it flew like a biplane wing Junior 60, maybe a little more floaty and prone to climbing when turning into wind. It always looked very pretty and sounded really nice too.

I think it had a laser in it, at one point it may have had a Taplin Twin. My Brian fogs up.

Very pretty though BEB

Nice choice

Steve

Correction it's Mike Whittards model on the box, although I think the late Jim Dysons model was used in some of BB's Promo's and flown around the shows in the vintage slots that Ben Buckle used to put up.

I think Jims drawing that was passed on was for an even bigger Elf as Mike drew the current Elf drawings. Oops..I was getting confused in the mists of time.

Its a super plane.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

OK, the build starts. I've decided to start with the tailplane - so I took some photos of the start...

Then I got so wrapped up in it all I forgot to take anymore photos! Well I finished assembling the tailppane and elevator, and I've built the centre section of the upper wing - but you'll have to wait until tomorrow when I'll take some more photos!!

BEB

Well, you had to wait a bit longer becuase last Sunday did not work out as I planned! Anyway, here is the assembled tailplane and elevator..

And one fuselage side...

And then there were two...

So far, so good. Very straight forward build. The model may be called the Elf - and that conjures up all these pictures of sylph-like elegance. The reality is its built like a tank! All that timber in both tailplane and fuselage is 1/4 inch thick and the strips are 1/4" sq! Heavy duty stuff!

BEB

Hi Not a lot of progress this week - been a busy one at work!

The fuselage frames are free from the building board

And I've bent up, and soldered up, the undercarraige (tough stuff that 10SWG!)

Finally the main fuselage formers are marked up for the fuel lines, tank box cutout and locating slots for the hardwood engine bearers (which are enormous! - 1/2x3/4"!)

I've also marked on these formers the positions of the rows of little holes that I will drill tomorrow before I sew the undercarriage in place! Now where's that needle and thread....

BEB

Ok, cut out the two ply formers and assembled them with the engine bearers.

As I said those bearers are 1/2x3/4" - chunky stuff. BTW the formers are upside down in these images!

The box is designed to take a 4oz SLEC square tank - the blue one if like me you go by the colours! I usually use a 6oz tank with a 56 FS - the red SLEC tank. And I do intend putting the OS56alpha FS which was in my Pitts in this. I think this will be quite a generous amount of power for the Elf's flying characteristics - and it will probably spend all its time on half throttle - so the 4oz tank should be OK - I hope!

All this has to be fuel proofed yet of course! Next job fix the undercart on...

BEB

Here's the undercart being sewed on - the thread is made from Nylon, its unbreakable to all intents and purposes, if I plough the undercarriage in then its the formers that are going smile o

A dribble of CA aided by some clamps holds the end of the thread and the undercarriage in place while I sew. When finished the other end of the thread is CA'ed down. Then the whole kaboodle is given a nice coat of epoxy...

On both sides...

So, that's ready to start assembling the fuselage into a 3D object now.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 06/03/2012 13:09:17

The basic fuselage is now assembled. First a side/front view, then a front view then one from the rear:

(I knew that old SLEC tank would come in handy!)

Onward and upward! Joining up the tail next then adding all the stringers and sheeting on the fuselage.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 07/03/2012 00:33:24

Another small step forward - the tail is now glued together - always something of a "watershed" moment I think. Once the tail is brought together then it really is "a fuselage" as it were. I can't fit this easily on my fuselage jig (the upper formers are very rounded and the undercart has to be fitted as the fuselage is brought together) so there has been much squinting along the fuselage and measuring with bits of string!

Is it straight? From the back....

From the front...

And all round...

Well, whatever it looks like in the photos - it looks straight enough to me in the flesh!

"She do" as an old foreman I used to know would say when some poor toolmaker had pulled his tripes out and done a beautiful job machining a bit of metal of a precission of nine-tenths of very very little! (That wasn't quite the original expression but I'll get myself in trouble if I quote too literally here wink 2)

Progress is slow - I'm only getting half an hour a day or so on it - but I reckon if I keep on doing bit each day by about 2019 I'll have a model aeroplane! Must find some quality time on it - maybe time to book a day's leave and pray for rain!

BEB

Looking great BEB, trouble with these vintage designs is the early attachment of those piano wire stalks! the number of times I get them caught, and stab myself with them. Not to mention the trouble they cause trying to sand then cover around them!! Ahhh the joy of vintage models wink 2

Mmmm blinds still look red as opposed to balsa brown sarcastic

Cheers

Danny