Building Santa's Little Helper

Looking really good BEB,

I always recon that building stick fuselages is the most satisfying part of the build for these vintage jobs, with the wings coming a close second.

Looks a really nice working space as well, can't wait to start my garage referb.

Cheers,

Chris.

Thanks guys. Yes the undercart going on so early in the build is proving to be a bit of a hazard - I nearly poked my eye out on it before!

Hiya Chris, yes the new working space is proving very pleasant - you want bite the bullet mate and get that garage of yours sorted! wink 2

Well a fair bit of detail work on the fuselage this weekend - in particular additional formers added, and top deck stringers. Plus I've figured out something on the drawing that was puzzling me as to how the bottom and side stringers/sheeting goes.

So heres a front view:

And a rear view...

She's starting to develop some rather "sassy" curves!

Figuring out the side/bottom stringers and sheeting has prompted me to get on with fuel proofing. Some of the front end is already a bit inaccessable and soon its going to get a whole lot worse. Fuel of course is like damp - it seems to love inaccessable nooks and crannies. So I've been over the front to get at them now while I still just about can. In particular araes like inside the fuel tank box, inside the linings bewteen the front "cheek" formers and the outside of the fuel tank box etc. Also I've given the firewall and bearers a good coat - though they will get a second coat when I do the final fuel proofing of the overall front end!

As an aside...One advantage of having more space now is I can actually work on more that one model at a time. At the moment I'm putting a coat of clear, matt, polyurethane varnish over my Magnatilla to create an easy clean surface and protect the isignia I've painted on.

This has been a bit of a "dummy run" for the Pup that I'll be painting next. The paints are acrylics - which of course are not fuel proof. I did ask on here if anyone had tried putting spirit-based polyurethane over acryllic - but no one stepped up and said "Yes I've done that and...."

So I've just "given it a go". I have to say I'm quite pleased with the result. You get the benefits of the acrylics which are dead easy to use, cheap, lots and lots of colours available and brushes clean in water. With the strong, cleanable, fuel-proof finish of a spirit-based paint system.

Another inovation, for me at least, is that I've applied the varnish with one of these "paint pads". 11/2" wide it really speeds up the application of the varnish and makes getting a good finish really easy. I can recommend it. When I've finished might do a little piece on it if there is interest.

BEB

Yeap, Jenny brushes are really handy for resin and stuff like that - like foam "spades"! Thes epads are more "furry" with very short bristles. Like the old record cleaning pad you used to get do you remember? But they work very well. I'll put a thread up in couple of days on my experiences with acryllics, polyurethenes and paint pads!

BEB

OK. Been a busy week this week so not a lot of time for the Elf! But, raining on and off today so I got to do a bit at least. Work continues on the fuselage and all the side and top stringers are now in place but not all sanded to tapered profile yet.

Front view (slightly out of focus - sorry, I'm not very good with a camera! photosad)

And a rear view - better focus this time!

At the moment I'm working on a rather fiddly bit which is putting in the 1/4" sq supporting pieces for the sheeting. This would be easy except for the fact that some of them have to be tapered - well actually most of them have to be tapered - this being the secret of the Elf's seductive curves! But it takes ages!

Here's a close-up of some of the pieces I am talking about.

Once these are done its on with the sheeting. Then the fuselage is basically complete - at least structurally.

BEB

• 4 weeks later...

Been a bit sidetracked lately - so not a lot of progress. Wing tubes fitted...

Then some lower sheeting and the bottom stringers....

Here's another view of the underneath the tail end of all the stringers need to be sanded - that's the next job....

And to finish off a front view of the whole fuselage - about to be sanded and then have the sheeting fitted...

BEB

• 4 weeks later...

Oh don't tell me - I was thinking the same just the other day! Work has been mad the last month and alongside that I got side tracked into the electric conversion of a 76" World Models Piper Cub! Which has gone well and is very nearly ready to maiden. (First venture into "larger" electric)

I'll be back t'thelf in a day or two I hope - I've got to be or she wont be finished in time! smile o

BEB

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...