Mam'selle.......

I am going to build the Vic Smeed Mam'selle, the partial kit arrived this morning from Falcon, and is nicely cnc'd

Not sure about the details yet, was thinking of doing it electric, but if I can find a nice .5 diesel that would be better. Can't beat the smell of a diesel

So if anybody knows where I can pick up something like a Boddo Mills that would be great

Wooly cardigans at Greenacres, can't wait

Edited By Danny Fenton on 08/11/2011 12:31:07

If your mamselle is the original 38" span vic smeed design, then the dart is more than enough power. I fly mine free flight at middle wallop 1066 rallies and the compression is turned well back and slightly rich to get that nice diesel burble and no screaming revs as it floats about in light winds ( or what passes for light winds these days ) . I wouldn't think another 2oz of light radio gear will need much more power.

see my photo album for a picture of the mamselles X1 , X2 and X3

Thanks guys I was thinking of a .5 mills but not really wanting to fight with Ebay and the collectors. Anybody know whether the Boddo new ones are available still?

Sports jackets and patched elbows, wasn't that later on Steve

Mmm we will have to do some research on appropriate attire me thinks At least it isn't 70's quilted anoraks

Hi John its the original 36" jobbie.

So a couple of channels for Greenacres and turn them off for the Nats

Edited By Danny Fenton on 08/11/2011 17:36:33

Or these from 1978.......the height of Aeromodelling chic.....

Anorak, flares, SMAE cap, flares & Adidas trainers......& flares....

Oh & the model is a Matador with a Sabre 1.5cc Diesel.....

I'm intruiged though......if a 0.5c diesel will fly a Mam'selle then won't Mr Griggs TT 15 result in a rather..er...exciting model??

Posted by Danny Fenton on 09/11/2011 10:59:30:
I believe converted free flight designs are indeed a handful when overpowered.

I can vouch for that, if my Deacon is typical.
It's E-powered at 120W (70W/lb) which is about the same as a hot 1.5 diesel. At full throttle it has to climb steeply to prevent dutch rolling. Throttle back & it's fine. The Junior 60 is similar.

Mmmmm I think that is something I have read a few times. A 36" model probably only needs 50W
I am hoping I have not overdone it with a PAW .8 the plan says a .5 Can you over/under prop diesels to reduce the power. The previous owner ran the PAW on a 7 x 6

PS is it worth doing a fast time lapse, or is anybody else doing a Mamselle and wants to follow along with a more sedate build? The kit and plan was £40

I am toying with either tissue and dope, or perhaps Litespan or Airspan.

Cheers
Danny

Hi Danny...yes you can change the prop on a diesel & alter its running characteristics quite a lot......varying the compression effectively alters the ignition timing so you can retard it & run a big prop slowly or advance it & run a small prop quicklly......relatively speaking.....

A big fine pitch prop is the way forward though.....the bigger prop will act as a flywheel & help the starting. The big diameter will provide plenty of low speed waft (technical term!) & the low pitch will keep the speed down.

The engine in the tyro is a 1cc diesel & it spins an 8x4 very happily.....I've even stuck a 10 x 6 on it for a laugh on the test bench & it ran fine. If you get the PAW 0.8 then I would start with an 8x4 & experiment from there....maybe a 9x4 would be nice......

Remember that small diesels & small props equals bitten fingers........

Posted by Danny Fenton on 09/11/2011 00:32:12:
Not sure when the Mamselle was first published, might help to fulfil the model flying dress code if I knew, anybody know?

Hi Danny,
'mam'selle' was published as a free plan in 'aeromodeller' Christmas issue either 1956 or 1957,not quite sure which year,I built one from the plan while I was still at school,which was Merlin powered,just completed another,with a Boddo Mills 75 in........................cheers,Mal.