Ebay sellers...

• 4 weeks later...

This engine, or a brand new twin, V, flat, or inline with change for a secondhand model to fly it in? Hmmmm

I wonder if the one-of-a-kind rare, fully original, cutting edge, prototype flat twin has the same appeal? The one in Jon's videos with the special hand-finished, two-piece open crankcase so that you can even see it work.

Having read the previous two posts, I have to ask:

At what point in the future does

1 hour ago, Dad_flyer said:

... a brand new twin, V, flat, or inline...

become

4 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

... long discontinued and if you break any part of it, the whole lot is scrap. 

?

• Like 1

Dad_Flyer. My cut in half prototype is already in the scrap bin so i wont be making any profit from that ? 

Mike T. Looking at the spec of the engine on ebay it was manufactured in around the 1984-6 time frame and discontinued completely in 1992. You are right though, even the new flat twins will eventually be old news. Still, most model engines are destroyed by corrosion or being pile driven into the floor long before it becomes an issue. 

• Like 1

Never been a fan of buying anything just to keep it in the box.  That way lies madness.  TBH if you don't pile your average well-made engine in, the typical usage most club flyers give them means they practically last forever.*

Back to the particular engine - IIRC the really expensive bit was the ign. conversion, so the combination of nil/low running plus scarcity probably accounts for the ambitious asking price.  And if you don't ask, you don't get...

*assuming you run it properly

Edited by Mike T
addition*
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...