Ebay sellers...

I've noticed this seller a few times. Two questions occur to me. 1. Where does he/she get this substantial stock of motors and accessories from?  2. Who is buying nthem at these prices. They are presumably are going to sit in a glass case forever, because surely no one is going to use one and risk destroying it in a model.

it's certainly an interesting business model.

• 2 weeks later...

Well flown, but not flown well. 👎

People who advertise crap like this are really irritating. . Why they don't throw the thing in the bin (where it belongs) is a complete mystery. 

They clearly have no shame. . . Rather like the people who hope to sell derelict trash at car boot sales. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've noticed that there are quite a number of quite desirable airframes popping up from the aplaneoldbargain site on eBay, who I understand are dealers, from the various adverts I've seen. I'm somewhat surprised that, as a business buying and selling completed airframes, as well as unstarted kits and projects in progress, that they haven't managed to come up with a viable means to post or courier airframes around the country. Surely the larger potential customer base would make up for the increased work involved in making an airframe transportable safely, especially when they would be passing that cost on anyway. 

I've had mostly good experiences with receiving built airframes by courier and post, provided that they are properly packed. Some of them have been works of art in the packaging and arrived in perfect condition. It just takes a bit of care and common sense. Have only had a couple of complete failures in postage  - two different models, at different times, where the seller just put a wrap of bubble wrap around the model, stuck it in a black bag and wrapped parcel tape around it. Needless to say those airframes arrived severely damaged. One I've repaired and got it in the air, the other is a much more significant rebuild, with the tail destroyed and one foam wing panel fractured from leading edge to trailing edge.

1 hour ago, leccyflyer said:

I've noticed that there are quite a number of quite desirable airframes popping up from the aplaneoldbargain site on eBay, who I understand are dealers, from the various adverts I've seen. I'm somewhat surprised that, as a business buying and selling completed airframes, as well as unstarted kits and projects in progress, that they haven't managed to come up with a viable means to post or courier airframes around the country. Surely the larger potential customer base would make up for the increased work involved in making an airframe transportable safely, especially when they would be passing that cost on anyway. 

I've had mostly good experiences with receiving built airframes by courier and post, provided that they are properly packed. Some of them have been works of art in the packaging and arrived in perfect condition. It just takes a bit of care and common sense. Have only had a couple of complete failures in postage  - two different models, at different times, where the seller just put a wrap of bubble wrap around the model, stuck it in a black bag and wrapped parcel tape around it. Needless to say those airframes arrived severely damaged. One I've repaired and got it in the air, the other is a much more significant rebuild, with the tail destroyed and one foam wing panel fractured from leading edge to trailing edge.

You only have to talk to one of the model shops selling online (if not all of them) to get accurate feedback on shipping fragile models. They get daily complaints about damage and unfortunately they have to take it on the chin, regardless of whether it is a genuine complaint or not.

My attitude is simple. if you want it come and collect it. If you don't want to collect it get somebody esle to do so. They can come, inspect and pay for it. Then any problems are not my responsibility.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kevin b said:

You only have to talk to one of the model shops selling online (if not all of them) to get accurate feedback on shipping fragile models. They get daily complaints about damage and unfortunately they have to take it on the chin, regardless of whether it is a genuine complaint or not.

My attitude is simple. if you want it come and collect it. If you don't want to collect it get somebody esle to do so. They can come, inspect and pay for it. Then any problems are not my responsibility.

I agree how frustrating it is, having seen many bargain-priced models that I would have liked, if it didn't entail a trip to Eastern Lincolnshire to go and get it.  I do sympathise with the seller though.
A private seller may not charge their time to pack it at a commercial rate.  Packing of items which are different every time and being secondhand, difficult to prove the condition before they set off without taking large numbers of pictures is expensive in terms of time and materials.   The seller is also vulnerable to unscrupulous buyers who change their mind once they see the model and damage it to claim a refund or discount.

• Like 1