Ebay sellers...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted by kevin b on 28/11/2020 11:40:19:

Silly boy !

**LINK**

Indeed but have you seen what he's asking for old LP records? I didn't realise how much money I had on the shelf! Presumably he must sell to someone who doesn't mind paying a lot for scratchy LPs playing performance that are almost certainly available elsewhere in in more modern formats.

Geoff

Posted by Doc Marten on 28/11/2020 14:21:08:
Posted by Eric Robson on 28/11/2020 13:10:45:

Not only what he is asking but getting for some of them .I should have bought up the records in charity shops when they were on sale for 50p.

You should have, vinyl is very collectable and brings good prices, £20 for a good condition album is quite average and that's not for a rare one (new vinyl costs that ), add factors like coloured vinyl, controversial covers, limited editions and a rare label and the price rockets.

He does seem to be asking top end prices for the vinyl but not hugely unreasonable ones. You're right, vinyl has staged a massive comeback in recent year. It's not just the records either, turntables are in big demand too. About 10 years ago I was looking to upgrade my turntable and picked up a very nice Rotel RP855 for £45, good ones are now going for £200+, not bad for 1980's technology. To buy something equivalent new like a Rega Planar 3 would set you back £650!

Just a couple of feet from where I'm sitting is a custom made oak cabinet with a Quad 2 amplifier with pre-amp and FM tuner with a Thorens TD150 turntable. It's a nuisance as it just gets in the way and is heavy. Dad used to use it to demonstrate the Quad amplifiers we sold.

Me? Much prefer CDs and transistor amplifiers mainly because of the low noise. The music I like (German lieder) has lots of quiet passages that are spoilt with the inevitable crckles from LPs.

Geoff

I agree, Doc.

Having seen these posts my Vinyl is going to be listed and plonked onto eBay forthwith.

I also have a Thorens but I think the tone arm had acquired an extra twist just before it was reboxed for a housemove. I would love some input guys, please. I can just sell as is, but, my inclination, is to find and fit a contemporary replacement. I don't remember which cartridge is fitted (possible Grado F1) but believe it is a pretty good quality effort from yesteryear.

Does that sound right to you, guys? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by Geoff S on 28/11/2020 18:29:49:

Just a couple of feet from where I'm sitting is a custom made oak cabinet with a Quad 2 amplifier with pre-amp and FM tuner with a Thorens TD150 turntable. It's a nuisance as it just gets in the way and is heavy. Dad used to use it to demonstrate the Quad amplifiers we sold.

Me? Much prefer CDs and transistor amplifiers mainly because of the low noise. The music I like (German lieder) has lots of quiet passages that are spoilt with the inevitable crckles from LPs.

Geoff

Your Quad stuff will command a good price Geoff especially in the run-up to Christmas. In the 1990s I moved house and for various reasons which we need not go into, my beloved Quad 2/22 valve amplifiers were banished to the loft along with my LPs and Dunlop Systemdek which is fitted with a Syrinx arm and Ortofen Red cartridge.

Having sold up and retired to rural France where houses are much cheaper, I traded in the Quads against a new Icon Audio valve amplifier and loudspeakers. I am mainly interested in classical music and find that I can buy perfectly sound classical LPs for 33 centimes at charity shops. I have also invested in a good record cleaning machine.

I'm glad I kept the deck and I don't mind the odd crackle and pop!

Apparently vinyl records are very popular (and expensive) with the younger set; there was a report about them in "The Guardian" recently.

Edited By David Davis 2 on 29/11/2020 06:48:21

Thank you Doc.

Some sound (no pun intended) and appealing advice indeed.

Long time since I even saw the box but from memory my deck is also a TD150. I also seem to tremember an SME arm.

Your suggestioh is appealing in many respects. Apart from anything else if I did go down the replace before sale route I would have to learn the current market as it will have moved on somewhat in the last 30/40 years (yes really!!), since I was last taking notice of things. I have no real desire to do this just to sell a comparitively low value item and I also don't really fancy relearning the fine art of setting it all up either.

So that's it, a mite more space in the junk, sorry, spare bedroom coming up. Thanks again.

Posted by Doc Marten on 29/11/2020 17:32:40:

.......Here's one

Dad was deaf in one ear (as I am now, almost) so he never really got into stereo (it didn't help that he was also seriously interested in loud speaker enclosures and built a Voight corner horn which dominated our live-in kitchen for a while). Hence I only have a one Quad II amplifer, though the pre-amp is a Quad 22 stereo and presumbaly so is the FM tuner. It has a Thorens TD150 turntable and tone arm - I have another I use with a transistor stereo amplifier but it hasn't been used for ages. The cabinet was built by a friend of my Dad's in about 1955 in solid oak.

We were main Quad dealers in the late 40s and early 50s but eventually gave up when several hours of demos resulted in fewer sales because customers were getting service from us but buying mail order elsewhere. I became very disenamoured with HiFi because it seemed that enthusiasts were listening at rather than to the music.

I've got some KT66 output valves somewhere that are used (low emission?) but probably work. I built a Quad 1 amplifier when I was still at school using the wound components from one that had been damaged in a fire. I threw it away a few years back because it was corroded from being poorly stored.

Perhaps I should see about selling it all.

dscf0163.jpg

Geoff

• 4 weeks later...