Ebay sellers...

Theres alamost always someone who wants almost anything - why should others bother what they choose to sell/buy. Some of the listings are quite amazing, but as I say, someone somewhere will want it - youve only got to see how much complete tat and rubbish turns up at the average boot-sale - and how fast it sells!

I've put something on. Will see how much I get for it - still no where near as bad as the models above, but will see. Actually the tatty trainer isn't too bad - says it's not been crashed, and the covering is brittle, anyway. A strip and re-cover isn't too bad.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 11/02/2012 10:26:42

Posted by Peter Miller on 11/02/2012 09:24:42:
On the other hand, have a look at this.

I can't help feeling that a couple of pounds worth of Solarfilm might have made it worth a bit more.

Actually, I'm inclined to believe him when he says, "The plane has never been crashed and any rips and tears were caused in the boot of the car.................."

I just wonder what else he carries in the boot of the car - pieces of barbed-wire fence perhaps?

Posted by Peter Miller on 11/02/2012 09:24:42:
Actually there is some good stuff on those relics. The tricycle undercarriage "biplane" is interesting, some really strange engineering and design on that and one wonders where the CG was with that long nose. Worth looking at the pictures.

Having now seen the actual listings, you're absolutely right Peter. But I suspect an awful lot of potential buyers just wouldn't see past the picture and description and realise exactly what was being sold.

I guess the seller would probably do a lot better to remove the engines at least, and sell them as separate items. He mentions an "OS FS series" engine in the biplane, though no mention of the size. I'm sure that would sell for a lot more than the wreckage would - unless two or more people spot it and get carried away in a "bidding war". Hmm, South Croydon, just down the road from the office...

Posted by Paul Marsh on 08/02/2012 21:09:55:

Seeing as there has been loads of interest here. A small photo of the ahem, model in question...

The model didn't sell, surprise, surprise. So it's been relisted -again.

He's been trying to flog the model for a year, and still no luck. Am tempted to put a £1 on it, and ask him to cremate it.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Spice Cat on 12/02/2012 21:02:43:
Posted by Peter Miller on 12/02/2012 18:41:28:
I see that this has been relisted yet again, now down to £80, Almost getting worth a bid.
Maybe it will get low enough for someone to bid on it.

Check his feedback and other items he has for sale. Odd collection.

Have you noticed the "housekeeping" in the photo?

Posted by Paul Marsh on 26/02/2012 11:22:30:

Saw this. Says it's used, but can you spot what's wrong with it?

Ebay

Edited By Paul Marsh on 26/02/2012 11:24:22

It's used, all used up.

Uses the new silent prop, or is it air drive, similar to fluid flywheel. Sure it's fine, just have to understand how it works.

Posted by Steve W-O on 26/02/2012 11:26:13:
Posted by Spice Cat on 12/02/2012 21:02:43:
Posted by Peter Miller on 12/02/2012 18:41:28:
I see that this has been relisted yet again, now down to £80, Almost getting worth a bid.

Maybe it will get low enough for someone to bid on it.

Check his feedback and other items he has for sale. Odd collection.

I see it's down to 70 (with 45 minutes left)

I'm curious about that lump of white foam in the middle of the wings tho - a botched diy repair maybe?

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 26/02/2012 16:43:17

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 26/02/2012 16:42:52:

I see it's down to 70 (with 45 minutes left)

I'm curious about that lump of white foam in the middle of the wings tho - a botched diy repair maybe?

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 26/02/2012 16:43:17

Unsold at £70. Stand by for a relisting at £60? Eventually he's going to have spent more in listing fees that he gets for it! dont know

The wing looks to me like it's upside-down and off a low-wing model. So the "lump of white foam" is a fairing to blend it in to the fuselage, and not a botched repair. Probably!

Posted by GrahamC on 27/02/2012 19:53:33:

Well this one has a useful feature...

...and I quote "It is also possible to fly these planes at low altitude, great for when you're learning so those crashes aren't too severe!" Hmm!

i think a 1600mm wingspan is way too big for me.think i'll just stick to my mercury tiggie.

(or my DB major mannock and 1/5 scale DB auster!!!!)

Thank fully not many inexperienced people will spend +£300 on a model.

The idea of restricting sales, is I think impractical. I do not even like the concept as an objective.

I guess it is a similar position with respect to full size yachts. It is possible to regulate, but at what cost?

We can all take some reassurance, that by far the majority of people who buy a model as an impulse buy, turn up at local clubs. As for the rest, thankfully many do not leave the ground for a variety of reasons.

In fact I do not think I have read of any reckless incidents in a newspaper, thankfully and hopefully never will.

I do however have doubts about EBay.