Super 60 by Andy Green

I have decided to build A Super 60 from a plan & an Astro Hog from a kit. The kit will be a Christmas pressent from my better half.

I know I still have my Enigma to Finish, & the Chipmunk, not the mention the Spitfire, but it won't do any harm to plan will it.

Looking ahead I don't much like the leading edge, so this will be changed to an 1/8 false LE I'll bring the sheeting over the false LE and have a 1/4 Le.

The plan also shows 2 1/4 pushrods for elevator / rudder control, I'll use closed loop for the rudder, and there looks to be plenty of room at the back for a mini servo for the elevator.

Another change will be to fit ailerons, with a servo in each wing half.

All the tools I need just now are a balsa stripper, xacto saw with a new blade and a Perma grit spar slotter (essential).

As usual further detail of the build will be on my website

Andy

Had a few snatched moments and got some cutting out & a little bit of building done. It goes to show that a little and often soon shows results.

Another design change I'm going to do is raise the tailpale up a little, It will be fixed not like the plan where it shows bands.

I've made slow start on the cutting out of some components parts like ribs & formers and wing tips. And with a quiet hour I've got on fuselage side done too.

Andy

Posted by Andy Green on 13/11/2011 22:40:00:
Had a few snatched moments and got some cutting out & a little bit of building done. It goes to show that a little and often soon shows results.

Hi Andy

It's the way I work, a little (usually less than an hour) but about 5 evenings a week plus occassionally Sunday morning if I get up early enough. Your cutting is very neat - any good tips for thos like me in awe?

Also perhaps a good poll question? How much time and How often do you build per week?

Martyn

Thanks Martyn

Here's what I do:

Firstly I rarely sand free hand, I always use something to sand against, I have an old breadboard that was destined for the bin, with a 1/8 spruce fence glued SQUARE,

All cross members are cut too long and sanded back and patients is the key here, if you go too far, start again. All angles are done by eyes, but flat on the board so I only have one plane to worry about.

For the ribs, I made a 1/8 ply master template and hand cut the rest from this. Essential here is a spar slotter.

For leading edges I have a set of bent formers of various angles. I simply use self adhesive sanding pads set at the correct radius.

Andy

I've now got 2 fuselage sides all sanded & ready, the rear end is modified as shown to raise the tailplane up a tad.

I had to buy a tank yesterday just to make sure it will fit between the engine bearers, By luck it just fits, so the next job will be to crack on with the fuselage build.

Andy

The joy of buildin from a plan is that you can change things as you go. I have modified the 2 front formers as shown. The large hole in the top one is for the tank.

Start made on the front cowling and the in fills added to the fuselage sides, the second shows again the modified rear with the servo mount , and finally I couldn't resists putting the pieces together to see how it looks.

I have already decided to fix the tailplane and undercarriage. it now seems a shame to use bands for the wings, so I'm looking at a way to now have the wings bolted on. As wilth the tailplane it might be easier to do this if I have the wings to hand, so this it what I'll be doing next.

Andy

All change:

Looked at the fuselage today, and the front did look very wide, so pulled off the side cheeks, and re fitted tapering them fron the width of the fuelsage down to the width of the engine bearers. I think it looks better.

As I said in a previous post I want to have the wings bolt on, I also want ailerons, so both of these are mods that are off plan, and will require a suck it and see approach.

To this end The dihedral will have to be reduced and the way the wing is built will have to be modified. First up I've decided on about 1 degree of dihedral, this is 3/4 " (ish). under each tip.

I'm starting by building the wing centre section with a full depth wing joiner spar as well as the 1/4 " joiners as shown on the plan. Once this and each panel is built I'll be able to join the 3 together to form the complete wing. I'll then be able to see how to fit the ailerons.

Andy

Made a start on the wings propper, 2 panels the cut outs on the centre ribs are for the servos, note the holes in the inboard ribs for the servo wires.

It will be a juggle to get the wings joined & to fitted on the fuselage.I have an idea on how to make the wings bolt on.

If I make a ply mount for the front of the cabin, I'll be able to drill a hole for the dowel, and a slight mod to the centre section to lock into it.

It will make more sense when i get it built.

Andy

Edited By Andy Green on 22/11/2011 22:16:47

Thanks Chris.

BEB - I'll be fitting a doubler to take the strain of the servo mounting, and there'll be a larger capping strip to take the output.

BTW the servo mount ribs are 3mm light ply, not balsa.

Andy

Mods for the bolt on wing:

I've had to modify the cabin area to strenthen to take the wing locating dowel. So I've removed the exisitng top / front and made a 3mm ply former to take sits place. None of this was draw I just measured off of what I had bilt and made to suit.

The first 2 pictures show the new former, I have put some triangle filets to tie the former to the fuselage sides.

This picture shows how the wing will fit, there are no leading edges fitted to the wing yet, but these will stop at the former, and the former will take the leading edge across the cabin, so that it looks like the original. You can see here my method of building the leading edges, the flat face you can see is 1/16 with the sheeting running over the top of it. The LE propper will butt over this and be sanded to shape.

There are Hi Res pic on my website - just go there an click on an image to see the Hi res version.

Andy

Lee, the strengthening will be drilled for a wing dowel, and the taper was my own idea, the fuselage is quite wide and its just looked too much.

Andy

Thanks Martyn.

All waterproof PVA (White Glue) so far, except the ply fuselage front where it was easier to use cyano, and kicker along the edges.

Andy