Super 60 by Andy Green

Hi Lee

This is my preferred method of doing leading edges, unless the designer has a better way. Funny thing I didn't much like the method shown on the Enigma kit,and did them this way to.

On with the build - work has gotten in the way, and its got cold.

Rear sheeting to tie in with the rib capping. I did not read the plan properly and started sheeting the bottom of the wing, and it was too late before I realised that only the top was to be sheeted

This will make my wing 1/16 deeper that required, but hey ho.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
Looking at the wing to fuselage joining now, the first thing I do is fix the wing in the correct position.

With the fuselage clamped in my Great Mate I can jiggle things around to get it right even the incidence.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...
Back to building -

I have made a 1/8 sub rib from light ply giving a total of 1/4 lite ply to mount the servo, which is fixed with 4 standard screws.

The servo extension lead with heat shrink to hold the plug / socket together, the wires are pulled through using the string which I installed before LE sheeting.

I have used extra wide capping stips to further strengthen the mount, and on the bottom, to provide the servo exit.

Currently there is no provision to easily replace the servo, but in all honestly how often have most of us had to change a servo, and it will be an easy matter to remove a panel of covering to get it them.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Tony.

Not much progress at all the last week, just out of hospital (See Here) But have had plenty of time to think about it.

The problem is how to tie the cross piece that takes the captive nuts, to the rest of the fuselage. If I was doing it again I's make sure there was a former at the same place, but I'm too far past that now.

I have some ideas on how to do this but wont know for sure until I get on with it.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
Had a go in the shed yesterday, not so cold as it has been, and the heater was able to take the sting out the cold.

I've been thinking about how to join the wings to the fuselage since coming out of hospital, and this is my solution:

As I've said before, had I thought about this sooner I'd have moved the fuselage former forward a bit do I could join into the fuselage at that point. But I am where I am.

I have already fitted compression blocks in the wing, so the wing bolts will have to line up with these.

To strengthen up the fuselage in this area I have fitted a 1/8 light ply floor which will also take the rudder & throttle servos & switch, and tied the top into this area with 1/4 sheet behind the cabin.

You can just see in this picture where I have slotted the fueslage side to take the 1/8 Ply & 1/8 lite Ply wing mounting plate. This mounting plate will take the 2 captive nuts for the wing bolts.

Wing plate in position.

Its gone cold again, so this is it until it's a tad warmer.

Andy

Managed to get some shed time today, got the Tufnol engine mount made, with 1.5 degrees of right thrust, some triangle filets to tie in the wing plate to the fuselage sides, and the throttle snake.

The throttle snake was harder than it needed to be as I forgot to do it during the build, and had to struggle with the nose complete.

Andy

Thanks Tony.

If I was doing it again I'd move the former position forward so I could tie the plate into the former rather than have to build the extra strength elsewhere.

I didn't have a photo yesterday, but here's the motor on the Tufnol mount.

Andy

With the engine mounted on its Tufnol base, the next thing to address is how to fix it to the bearers, it will not be posible to get nuts on the bottom, nor hold the screw from below, and the thought of self tapper is not a good one in my opinion.

I'm using an old control line trick where the screws are hidden behind cowl cheeks on a profile model and soldered a piece of piano wire across the screw heads, this will let me tighten the nuts without a problem.

I'm using an old control line trick where the screws are hidden behind cowl cheeks on a profile model and soldered a piece of piano wire across the screw heads, this will let me tighten the nuts without a problem.

There is still some shaping & sanding to do on the nose block.

Don't forget there are hi res photos on my website

Andy

Andy,

As othesr have suggested it's good to see real craftsmanship going into your Super 60 and the other Super 60 build. The Super 60 I acquired and rebuilt last year was an absolute nightmare and quite frankly it was difficult getting any satisfaction out of rectifying poor workmanship. I have yet to sort out the wings so as I have mentioned elsewhere I am borrowing my Junior 60 wings for now to fly the Super 60.

I introduced two snake tubes either side of the fuel tank so I can fit various engine types and had options of an Enya SS40,Merco 29 and PAW 29. Most of my engine experience in the past has been with diesels and I still have problems with running some of my 2 stroke glow motors consistently. I was therefore looking forward to using the PAW but was put off by an article that suggested it would produce a fair measure of vibration. However I have a bearer plate constructed for it and may well try it out in the future.

The PAW you have shown in your photographs looks bigger than a 29 -is it a 40?

Regards,

MJE

Hi Mike, and thank you for your kind comments.

The engine is a PAW 29, I'll be looking to be running it on a 13*6 Wood prop, (as wide a blade as I can find), to dampen it down.

I like the idea of running 2 throttle cables, as most if not all glows engines I have seen have the throttle on the other side.

Andy

The bottom of the bearers are open, so I just pushed them up from the inside, The trouble is I couldn't to that with the engine in place.

They have to come out for fuel proofing, its not a difficult job.

Had some time today so I'll update later on.

Andy

Holes bored to take the wing mounting 'Hard points' I have to be honest here, I drilled the wing mounting holes in the wrong place, this is my recovery.

With the wing jigged up and clamped onto the fuselage I drilled through the hard points to the plate, and fitted the captive nuts.
I don't rely on the spikes to hold them in, I use epoxy as well.

This Heath Robinson contraption you see is a way to tighten the nut and pull it into the plate.

Andy

I couldn't resist in putting it all together.

It just needs a final sand, and make the ailerons. The final sand will have to wait until I get outdoors. It can get a bit messy.

Andy